Author Topic: Locked Out of My Coach  (Read 5621 times)

Gary Donges

• BAC Member
Locked Out of My Coach
« on: July 22, 2019, 10:25:40 PM »
I used the keypad to lock up the coach, now the entry door handle latch seems to have failed in the locked position and I can't get in.The keypad is locking and unlocking the bays, only the entry door is effected. I tried manually with the key but the tumbler is not turning fully to unlock. All windows are locked, it doesn't seem entering through one of them is an option. I don't think a locksmith is the answer either, I think something within the door latch system has come loose, jammed and/or failed. Any success stories on overcoming this problem?
Gary Donges
Beaver Patriot Thunder Lexington IV 2006 40ft. (2017-    )
C13 Cat
Lake Almanor, CA

Robert Wagner

Re: Locked Out of My Coach
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 10:41:28 PM »
We had same problem.  We only got in by unlocking and locking using keypad quickly and my wife pulling door open as I did that.  Then took it in to be fixed. Not a good feeling at all. Hope that helps you.

We always leave one window unlocked.  Just in case. 😖😖
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 10:46:29 PM by Robert Wagner »
The following users thanked this post: Gary Donges

Gary Donges

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 11:08:45 PM »
Thanks for the tips, I'll give it a try ASAP.
Gary Donges
C13 Cat
Lake Almanor, CA

Mike Humble

• BAC Member
  • BAC Past President 2014-2018
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 12:37:04 AM »
We have a similar problem sometimes.  Used the key fob and it opened.
Mike
2008 Marquis 45' Cat C-15 600hp
The following users thanked this post: Gary Donges

Gary Donges

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 12:55:25 AM »
Didn't think of that, certainly worth a try. We have two key fobs that came with our coach that we've never used.
Gary Donges
C13 Cat
Lake Almanor, CA

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 04:35:24 PM »
We have had a problem with our door latch getting stuck. The door is actually unlocked but when you pull on the door handle it acts as if it is locked. I then have to push on the door to release the pressure on the door closure mechanism. Then it will open. Just a thought.
Larry Fisk
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Mike Shumack

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2019, 02:18:16 PM »
I had a problem with the Screen door latch adjustment. It made opening the door very difficult. It felt like the upper door lock was not releasing fully - it took a hard tug to open the door. I messed with the  outside door latch adjustments several times, which required removing the inner door panel. But in the end it turned out to be the screen door latch mechanism. I just mention this now in hopes it may save someone else the trouble.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
On getting locked out ...

I have read a lot of posts about owners getting locked out due to a faulty door mechanism. Since the door needs to be opened to access (adjust/replace) the mechanism, it's a real problem. How do you get in? Some owners will just leave a window unlocked but that also allows a thief to gain entry.

Someone suggested adding an "exterior lock" for the drivers window. Then the window can be locked when your away from coach and unlocked from the outside if ever needed (you still need to able to climb through the window to get it).

This sounds like a good idea, but I have not investigated to see if/how it could be done.

Perhaps a barrel lock with an arm that swings up/down into the track (you would need a hole either through the glass or the body for the lock). Then the arm on the lock would swing down to block the window from sliding, or vise versa to open window.

It would be easiest (the mounting of lock) if a 1" hole could be drilled through the glass (like the hole for a vent window lock in an older car) but I don't know if the glass on our coaches can be drilled (is the side window glass tempered?). I would need to talk to glass person to see if that is possible (I think a hole in the glass is preferable to the body).

Does anyone have any other ideas on this?

Bob Stone

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2019, 06:30:17 PM »
I've been locked out of my previous RV, worn out latch and recently my Monterey. Both situations required window entry. The Monterey fix was to adjust the linkage turnbuckle within the door.

Two of my sliding windows have broken latches. Rather than replace the latches I drop piece of aluminum or dowel cut to length in the window track as one does to secure a sliding patio door. A suggestion as to how the dowel might be removed from the track from the outside would be to attach a washer or such to the dowel so that it could be manipulated through the glass using a magnet. I assume not many thieves happen to carry a strong magnet. The magnet I have is stored in the rear of the refrigerator and serves the duel purpose of resetting the Norcold fire safety black box.
Just a thought at this stage. I'll let you know if it works...
Bob Stone
'05 Monterey Laguna IV  Cat C-9

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2019, 06:50:22 PM »
Just so you know... most patio doors can be lifted out of the bottom track and removed by pulling/pushing the door away from the track without sliding the door.  That's why there is a small diameter metal dowel that fits into a hole in the upper corner of the sliding patio door.  The dowel goes into the sliding door and into the other door on the backside... so the sliding door cannot be lifted out of its track.

This also is how our RV window screens are removed for cleaning, or screen material replacement or repair.  Lift the screen out of the bottom track and it will pull out and away from the track.

I don't think our RV windows are individually removable without removing the whole encasement from the wall of the RV... but I'm not sure of that... never tried to get one out.

We leave at least one window unlocked to provide emergency ingress/egress.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!
The following users thanked this post: Bob Stone

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2019, 03:48:15 PM »
   Hi Gary,
   What typically happens with our tri-mark locks and linkages is this. Over time the linkage rods, clevises and pivot points all wear sufficiently enough to cause us to lift or pull the handle further to actuate the release of the lock assembly. Eventually you run out of travel at the handle to get it to release.
   Sometimes you can lean against the door as you pull the handle or if necessary body slam the door as you pull the handle.
Once you get the door open, remove the door panel to access the linkage going from the lock assembly down to the exterior door handle. Remove the rod retainer clip and loosen the clevis locking jam nut. Turn the clevis clockwise 2 turns to shorten the length of the rod and align and tighten the jam nut. Reassemble the rod and clips and perform a test with the door still open. You can manually close the lock jaws on the edge of the door with you finger and then pull on the exterior door handle and see if the locking jaws release before the handle runs out of travel. Readjust if necessary. NOTE: If you shorten the rod TOO MUCH, the door will open in transit. Good luck getting this resolved.
    Blessings, Fred Brooks
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Keith Moffett