Author Topic: Lightening Damage  (Read 8145 times)

Tom Webber

• BAC Member
Lightening Damage
« on: June 17, 2019, 03:54:39 AM »
I have a 2006 Monterey.  With the engine running the ABS light and the ATC light stay lit on the dash. The manual talks about a ABS electronic control unit. Does anyone know where this is located. I will call Bendix for help but anyone who works on the coach will not know where Beaver/Monaco hid things.

Thanks in advance for anyone's help.
06 Monterey
CAT 350HP C9

Mike Shumack

Re: Lightening Damage
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 12:55:36 PM »
Have you tried to pull codes from the ABS? It is not uncommon for a wheel sensor to act up (goes bad or gets dirty/metal debris on it) and sets a code.
On my coach (2005) the ATC light stays on after startup until I step on the brake.

My ABS controller (Bendix Gen 4) is frame mounted. It's on the crossmember just forward of the drive axle (where the brake hoses run up to the relay valve). I have a photo of it somewhere.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 01:08:11 PM by Mike Shumack »

Tom Webber

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 01:46:03 PM »
Where does one find the diagnostic button, is it on the electronic control unit?
06 Monterey
CAT 350HP C9

Mike Shumack

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 02:34:30 PM »
On my coach there is a removable panel on the top of dash in front of instrument cluster. Just under that panel there is a metal plate with the engine diagnostic plug and the buttons for ABS and TAG ABS. As shown in the photo.

My coach is an 05 PT, so yours may be a little different. If you don't have the removable dash panel look around under the dash on both sides of the steering column.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 09:12:01 PM »
 See photo of ours, which should be also your configuration.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Tom Webber

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 12:33:28 PM »
When I contacted REV Recreation group to get part number for my ABS control unit on my 2006 Monterey they said I have a premium cab mounted unit. Previously someone posted about a frame mounted unit on a 2005 Beaver. Does anyone know where to look on my coach for a cab mounted control unit?

As always and help is greatly appreciated.
06 Monterey
CAT 350HP C9

Mike Shumack

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2019, 02:11:45 PM »
On my 2005, the ABS "valve' assembly is on the frame cross member just fwd of the drive axle. I have not seen the ABS controller.
I try to photo document all the parts on my coach (sometimes to identify what they are).

I think my ABS controller is mounted near the ABS Valves (In need to crawl back under the coach to verify). I seem to recall seeing the "frame mounted" unit near the ABS valve assembly and recall noticing the wiring that goes into the bottom of the controller not having any "weather protection'". But I can't find any photo of this in my files.

If I can get back under the coach this weekend, I'll try to locate the controller and get some photos (but this still may not help you as I have a '05 Patriot and you have a '06 Monterey).
Good luck

« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 02:19:15 PM by Mike Shumack »

Bill Sprague

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2019, 03:47:39 PM »
On my '04 Monterey the lights came on because the wheel sensor was unplugged.  It was unplugged because Beaver had wrapped the excess lead wire around the axle to take out (or store) slack.  Going over a big dip caused the suspension to extend which caused the wire to disconnect from the wheel sensor.  One less wrap around the axle fixed it.

Tom Webber

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2019, 12:15:22 AM »
My electronic 06 Monterey manual talks about a Bendix ABS.  I contacted REV Recreation and was given a Bendix part number for the ECU based on my VIN number. REV Recreation tech support was unable to tell me where to locate the unit on the coach.  I spoke with Beaver Coach Sales thinking they may have some idea on where to locate the ECU. They said I should look in the main electrical cabinet for a .module marked Wabco/Merritor.  This appears to be a different brand of ABS. I found nothing so marked or anything marked Bendix. I guess Monaco used different ABS systems for different Beaver models or maybe even on the same model
My search continues to locate the ECU.
06 Monterey
CAT 350HP C9

Mike Shumack

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2019, 02:32:00 PM »
My electronic 06 Monterey manual talks about a Bendix ABS.  I contacted REV Recreation and was given a Bendix part number for the ECU based on my VIN number. 

I spoke with Beaver Coach Sales thinking they may have some idea on where to locate the ECU. They said I should look in the main electrical cabinet for a .module marked Wabco/Merritor.

That's odd BCS says you have a Wabco ABS, as the 2006 Monterey manual does refer the the ABS as being from Bendix. I think BCS is wrong, but you may just need to locate the module to be sure. Can you get under the coach and view the ABS modulating valve (should be one located at the front and rear axles)? That should have the manufactures' name on it (i.e. Mine says "Bendix"). If you have Bendix valve then I would bet you have a Bendix control module.

BTW, did you try to pull codes? It is not uncommon for a wheel speed sensor to fail causing the ABS light to come on.

Tom Webber

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2019, 03:34:10 AM »
I did pull codes today and I will call that number tomorrow.

New challenge, received a different Bendix part number from Beaver Coach Sales parts person. Now I have been told the module might be on the frame in one of the compartments. Tomorrow I crawl in compartments looking for the module.

I am sure it will all work out.
06 Monterey
CAT 350HP C9

Tom Webber

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2019, 03:31:07 AM »
Success!!  Found ABS control unit on ceiling of cargo bay and the part number matches the one given to me by Beaver Coach Sales. New part on order and should arrive in 3-4 week's. Hopefully, no one ever needs a Bendix ECU in a hurry.
06 Monterey
CAT 350HP C9
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Mike Shumack

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2019, 01:02:15 PM »
So is it a Bendix unit or a Wabco? Can you post a picture?

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2019, 05:49:29 PM »
Sorry for a bit off topic. I notice, Tom, in your signature, its says you have a 350hp C-9 CAT. How is that possible? I thought they were all 400hp.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Mike Shumack

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2019, 06:23:28 PM »
Stan, the C9 "Mass Transit" and "Over-the-Road (truck)" engine have a lower HP rating then the "RV" version.
Same engines just different "tuning" so to speak.
There's a wide range of HP offerings:

The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson