Author Topic: House Batteries  (Read 7024 times)

Ken Sair

• BAC Member
  • Second generation fulltimers!!
House Batteries
« on: April 22, 2011, 04:28:45 AM »
We are dry camping overnightat Harris Ranch CA. The coach has 4 Trojan 105 6V golf cart batteries. These batteries are 5 years old. I just checked them last week and all were in the green on the hydrometer and charging properly.

The batteries discharged to 12.1 after about 90 minutes (TV-both laptops operating). However, they are still at 12.1 over 2 hours later (some lights-TV-DVR box-both laptops). Does this sound about right?

I am leaving next month for Alaska and wanted to wait and replace them when I return.

Opinions?

Thanks, Ken Sair
BAC members since 2006

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Re: House Batteries
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 12:38:18 PM »
Seems like house batteries are going to be a high priority on your Alaska trip.  5 year old batteries are pretty well used.  I would replace them now.

Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

John and Judy Gardner

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 02:43:35 PM »
Quote from: Keith Moffett
Seems like house batteries are going to be a high priority on your Alaska trip.  5 year old batteries are pretty well used.  I would replace them now.

Keith

I agree, do want to have replace batteries in Alaska, better to be on the safe side.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 03:54:44 PM »
You didn't say how you measured the voltage.

It is my understanding that voltage measurements only work as a test if you have no load on the batteries.  In other words, you can take the batteries out of the motorhome, charge them on a bench, let the battery rest for several hours and then take a reading.  

Therefore, voltage tests in a motorhome are almost meaningless because we can't conveniently take them out of the system.  

If you have maintained your batteries properly, never run them down to dead, have 12 volts after a couple hours of TV and your hydrometer tests are good, I would suggest your batteries are in good shape.

If you still have a running furnace in the morning, you are getting what you need from your batteries.  

You didn't ask, but I suggest you be careful of how you charge your batteries after each night of dry camping on a road trip like that.  If you let the relatively small engine alternator do all the work each morning it will get too hot and die.  Use the much larger genset until you think the batteries are well charged.   Then let the engine alternator keep them that way until you get to your next stop.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 04:35:19 PM »
Ken,
I will give Bill some support here, in that you have made no statement that would make me want to replace your house batteries. They may be sulfated a little and may benefit from equalizing if it has never been done.

I have seen T 105 Trojan batteries still operating satisfactorily at 7 or 8 years of age if they are maintained properly and never ran down below the 11.9V to 12V range. So 5 years is not an exceptionally long life for your batteries.

Like Bill stated and as I have stated on this forum many times, DO NOT start-up and drive off in the morning with discharged house batteries if you have been dry camping. If you do you will probably have to replace your engine alternator a long time before you should.

Gerald  

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 07:55:34 PM »
To bolster Bill and Gerald's input, our old coach used to need new house batteries every 4 years until I learned how to better take care of them.  An equalizing session on a Battery Minder or similar device will desulfate plates and give your batteries back some life, though I haven't had to do that yet to our 5 yr. old, mostly solar-maintained and regularly cleaned and watered ones.   From your description, you have no tangible indication of a problem with them, and my batteries now last me at least 6 years or more;  I personally wouldn't worry about it.  

It's totally a matter of whether you want to spend a lot of money, as insurance, a couple of years earlier than you probably need to.

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Jim Shaw

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 03:38:29 AM »
I have the  four Interstates House Batteries in my 2003 Monterey that was in the coach when new. They are over eight years old and still working fine. I want to replace them, but they still check good with a hydrometer and load tester. I have only used distilled water and check them every month. Five years is not to long if they are maintained properly.

Jim Shaw

Ken Sair

• BAC Member
  • Second generation fulltimers!!
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 05:59:31 AM »
Update. More info. The batteries were fully charged when we left. Drove 200 miles and arrived at 4pm. Started generator for A/C, dinner etc. and ran until about 6pm. Shut generator off and went about our business. Watched TV, ran both the laptops, plugged in phones, 2 12 Volt lights and all the little alarm things. About 7:30 I noticed the volts were 12.1. They stayed at 12.1 until around 11pm and the voltage was 11.9 when I retired just before midnight.

I left the inverter on with the AGS set to on. The AGS started up around 6am. As far as maintenance we are fulltimers and the batteries have been in service every day. They have been equalized every 3-4 months. Water levels are checked monthly and have never been below the plates. I clean the connections as needed.

I'm thinking they are still good. When dry camping, with the exception of major appliances, we act like we are plugged in. Since they lasted a little over 6 hours with a fair amount of use, Thats where I'm leaning. Thanks to all for your input.

Ken Sair

ps to Gerald. Thanks for the reminder re the morning. I'l usually recharge at least 60-90 minutes prior to departure. News, toast, heat and hairdryer (Ann).
BAC members since 2006

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 09:15:13 PM »
On my sailboat ,the house batteries (4 x 6 volt golf cart US Batteries)are  now 8 years old .I use a product called Battery Equalizer.   This product has given new life to my batteries. I can now run my freezer etc 24 hours whereas before treatment I had to run the engine to charge them after 12 hours.
I have 4 US Battery  6 volt batteries in my coach. I will be treating them with Battery Equalizer as well.
It removes the built up sulphate from the plates and returns it to the electrolite.  
Here is the link......http://www.batteryequaliser.com/