Author Topic: Slide Out Won't Extend  (Read 2145 times)

JimNCheryl Domenoe

Slide Out Won't Extend
« on: June 30, 2019, 01:26:21 AM »
I have just encountered a situation in which the slide out on my 2000 Marquis Jasper (single slide) will not go out.  The pump is working but there is no movement from the slide.  The previous retraction caught the pilot chair arm slightly but I was able to reverse the slide before it went too far.  Upon reaching our next destination, I tried to extend the slide but all it did was make the normal noise but did not move.

I checked the fluid reservoir and it was at the correct level.  Any other suggestions?  Is there a way to manually extend the slide?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 01:50:24 AM by Jim & Cheryl Domenoe »

Mike Shumack

Re: Slide Out Won't Extend
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2019, 02:19:25 PM »
Jim, I 'm not sure what slideout mechanism you have, but all I have read about have a hyd pump with a solenoid/valve mounted on it for "Retract" and one for "Extend" (one set per room). I would check the solenoid to see if it is getting power (your inside slide switch and safety interlocks sound like they are working since the pump runs). The solenoid may be bad or the valve could be sticking open (so no pressure can build up to move the room). Also don't forget to check the hydraulic fluid. If your real low, you could be hearing the pump run but it's just sucking air.

If you were to manually open the valve for "Extend", I suppose a bunch of people inside the coach could push it open/out (but usually it's the opposite - the room wont retract so the Retract valve is manually opened and people on the outside push the room in. It's a lot easier to push on the outside wall). Being that your slide is a full wall slide, I doubt you will be able to push it out by hand.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2019, 03:25:43 PM »
I vote for low fluid but will add the possibility that something bent so that the cylinder can't move.

JimNCheryl Domenoe

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2019, 04:51:29 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  The fluid is in the full zone on the dipstick so the fluid level is not the problem.  I guess I will have to wait until I get to Bend in a few weeks to have it looked at.  The wife is not happy since there is food and such in the pantry behind the slide wall in the kitchen.   :-\

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2019, 07:10:03 PM »
Jim,
The most likely problem is the slide out switch is turning on the pump but not sending the proper command signal to the solenoid valves. The next likely would be a solenoid valve failure or wiring connection issue. The only way to fix it is to get your volt meter and start checking to see where the voltage is stopping. I would not recommend trying to manually extend the slide. That is way more effort and problems than it is worth. The food will still be there when you get the slide fixed.

Gerald   

JimNCheryl Domenoe

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2019, 08:55:49 PM »
Thanks Gerald.  I will take a look at things today to see if anything is obvious.  If nothing is obvious, we will probably just live with this for the next three weeks and have Beaver look at it when we get to Bend.

Jim