Author Topic: Automatic Shades  (Read 3192 times)

Bob Bulot

Automatic Shades
« on: June 22, 2019, 02:35:38 PM »
 OK. Here’s my next problem. My multiplex system includes a button in the living area “All Shades Up”.  When pressed, all shades come up.  One of the shades, however, after it has opened fully, keeps running for 5 seconds or so, making a loud squealing sound. 

Is this programmed activity adjustable somehow?  Can I shorten the time the PMC tries to open this shade? 

Second question: Should I have bought a Mini-Winnie?

Bill Sprague

Re: Automatic Shades
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 02:59:37 PM »
Karl is very good at a programming shades and replacing them when they fail.   

And, no not a Minnie Winnie, but a Tiffin Wayfarer!!   8) 8)
The following users thanked this post: Karl Welhart

Bob Bulot

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 05:04:17 PM »
Karl?

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 06:59:41 PM »
Yes, I am here.  Does the shade go up or down when it runs on?
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Bob Bulot

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 03:05:47 PM »
Sorry for the delayed response, Karl.  On the road.  The shade only runs on going up, and only the light shade, not the “Roman” shade.  Goes down just fine.

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 07:42:50 PM »
My guess is that the motor limit switch is bad and may need to be replaced.  Not sure which brand of motor your particular shade has but some brands have limit switches that can be replaced separately from the motor assembly. 

Another thing to look at is the momentary rocker switch that operates the shade.  If you try to activate the up function of the switch during the "run on" issue, it may stop the problem.  That could indicate a bad switch and would be much easier to change out then the motor limit switch.

Good luck,
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
Niceville, Florida

Bob Bulot

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2019, 04:18:42 PM »
Thanks Karl.  From what you say, I am assuming that the limit switch is either a separate switch, or it’s internal to the motor.  If it’s separate, where is it?.  Also, the switch is a multiplex switch, not a rocker.

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2019, 11:02:44 PM »
Ok, sorry forgot about the fact that your shades operated from multiplexer/spyder system.  Again, I do not know which brand of motor/limit system you have, but should be about the same.  The drum that your shades roll up/down on has a barrel motor inside.  This is a DC motor with gearing that turn a clutch/drive assembly.  The polarity is simply reversed to go up or down.  The limit switch is either built into the motor itself or attached to it on the fix side (not drive side) of the motor.  This enables the upper limit and lower limit of the motor travel (shade movement up/down) to be adjusted using a special tool.

In most of the applications, to remove the motor requires taking the valance down, remove the bracket then remove the drum roller with shade.  Unrolling the shade material to expose a set screw that holds the motor in place.  Then simply pull the motor out of the drum.  Once the motor is out, you can either replace the drive motor (easiest) or disassemble the motor housing a replace the limit switch and/or motor assembly.  Care is necessary when putting the motor back into the drum making sure the drive gear matches the drive insets in the drum.

When you determine which brand and type motor system you have, there are good YouTube videos that show details on this process.

Good luck,
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
Niceville, Florida
The following users thanked this post: Eric Maclean

Bob Bulot

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2021, 03:40:42 PM »
Karl,
Forgive me for asking questions in my email to you that you had already answered in this post. Attached is a picture of the shade that I’m having problems with currently.

Anything you can tell me about the shade would be appreciated.