Author Topic: Generator Auto Started While Plugged into to Shore Power  (Read 4039 times)

Jill Goldman

Generator Auto Started While Plugged into to Shore Power
« on: June 23, 2019, 02:18:55 AM »
Hi Folks,

I have a 2003 Patriot with an Onan Quiet Diesel 10,000 generator. I have been staying in an RV park for the summer so the RV is plugged into shore power. Yesterday, as I was resetting the levellers, the generator auto started and could not be turned off. After a couple of hours someone finally found the fuse in the generator behind a panel that said "do not remove this panel" and we were able to stop the generator. This is actually the second time this has happened; the first time was over a year ago and I had the generator serviced so I thought the problem was resolved. I do not need the generator this summer other than to exercise it so I have not replaced the fuse at this point.

Has anyone had an experience like this? Any thoughts? I'm concerned with taking this to the shop that normally works on my RV because they no longer have someone who is knowledgeable in generators. Where would you take it?

Thanks,

Jill Goldman

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Generator Auto Started While Plugged into to Shore Power
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 02:50:24 AM »
It may be more the inverter/AGS (Auto Generator Start) Control that’s askew than the genset.

If you have a Magnum inverter/charger digital control panel, there may be an AGS button on it that lets you turn it off.  Mine aggravated me (and a young BCS tech) so much when the coach was new, that I gave up trying to configure it altogether;  it’s been off ever since.

https://youtu.be/9PaGsHkIZkg

Joel
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 02:57:22 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 06:13:10 AM »
Jill,
While Joel is probably correct in pointing at the AGS, be sure to check the voltage on your batteries to be sure the house batteries are charged. If not and the voltage drops to the AGS set point,  probably around 12V depending on what you have he set point at, it may trigger the auto start process.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 02:29:20 PM »
When our AGS started the generator for whatever reason, I still was always able to shut the generator down using the manual start/stop button on the dash.  Jill indicated she was unable to shut down her generator; I assume by using the same manual start/stop button.

I agree with Joel that the AGS likely started her generator which would perhaps be by design depending upon the batteries' charge status and inverter programming.  But why would she not be able to shut down her generator?
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Bill Sprague

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 05:03:44 PM »
"But why would she not be able to shut down her generator?"

Because the AGS is sensing low batteries.   The batteries may or may not be low, but the AGS might continue to think so.

Scott Shearer

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 09:36:34 PM »
I’ve read several reports of Onan generators ‘self’ starting and not responding to shut down. The cause was found to be moisture intrusion in the snap connector where the low voltage pigtail enters the cabinet and/or moisture on the controller.
Scott & Susie Shearer
2006 Patriot Thunder
Lexington IV 40'
Cat C13
2015 JKU Hard Rock
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Mike Tomas

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2019, 09:51:49 PM »
Jill’s plugged into shore power.  Assuming her inverter charger is working okay, rather than low batts perhaps it’s the temperature setting on her AGS, especially if it’s getting warmer inside as summer progresses but her air conditioners aren’t on at the thermostats.  The lowest AGS setting is only 65 afterall.

On the AGS control module (ours is in the electrical bay street side forwardmost) she may need to turn the temp dial clockwise to a higher setting or counterclockwise all the way to off.  As I noted previously, the system can be aggravating to get balanced, especially for new owners, and I just turned it off altogether at the Magnum “remote” panel in the coach.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Jill Goldman

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2019, 11:39:43 PM »
Thanks for your replies. I just checked my house batteries and they are all reading 6v. I assume that means they are charged.My Xantrex meter inside is showing the batteries as fully charged, but has not gone back to "float". Could any of this be because I have removed the fuse from the generator so it cannot be started?

Jill

Jill Goldman

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2019, 11:44:52 PM »
I would like to turn off the AGS, but I don't know where it is. Would it be by the inverter? I looked in the bay with all the wires and don't see anything marked that way. According to my manual - Set the generator Start and Stop points back to Manual On/Off or switch off the house and chassis main battery disconnects to erase the clock time and generator start/stop programming. Can anyone explain this to me. I'd rather not have to go to the local RV shop, but if that is the best thing for me to do I will.

Thanks again,

Jill

Jill Goldman

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2019, 12:12:20 AM »
The continuing saga - I have figured out how to set the clock on the AGS to 00:00 which should turn off the AGS. Does this sound right? The Xantrex Monitor is showing my battery as flooded although everything seems to be working fine.

Thanks,
Jill

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2019, 12:19:36 AM »
You should know that at 12 volts (6v for each of two house batteries) you’re actually half discharged.  Your stable float charging voltage should be 13.4 to 13.7 volts, which implies more than six and a half volts per battery.

How long since the water level was checked in your house batteries, assuming they are wet-cell golf-cart style with removable caps?

As to the AGS, because you have a Xantrex system rather than Magnum, I’m not sure what the adjustable controller looks like or where it is.  Will have to leave that to someone familiar with Xantrex.  Magnum’s looks like the one here     https://www.hodgesmarine.com/Magnum-Automatic-Gen-Start-Module-Stand-Alone-M-p/mgnmeagss.htm?gclid=CjwKCAjwxrzoBRBBEiwAbtX1n--zLy83JbBI-7dSFAVcGqzxQoruNqQceNkYdzzPFmIzUowF-ffRFRoCDGcQAvD_BwE&click=19

It’s possible the manual and other helpful info can be found on Xantrex’ website.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Jill Goldman

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2019, 01:39:07 AM »
I maintain my batteries, add distilled water monthly and even put grease on the posts. I have 4 - 6 volt batteries and the "flooded" means the type of battery (I found the information in the book) - so I think my batteries are okay. The light on the inverter is showing floating even if the monitor is not blinking. I believe I have disconnected the AGS by setting the time to 00:00 as mentioned in the manual. I put the fuse back into the generator, but it won't turn over and is blinking a "service required" signal so it looks like that's what I will have to do.

Thanks for everyone's feedback. It's great to know you folks are there.

Jill

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2019, 03:16:32 AM »
Jill - Someone asked what inverter your coach has.  I understand it's made by Xantrex but what model is it - Trace, Freedom, etc., Pure Sine Wave (PSW) or Modified Sine Wave (MSW), and what is its wattage rating.  For example, our coach has a Xantrex Freedom PSW 3000w inverter with an AGS module and remote panel.

Regarding why the ON/OFF dash toggle won't shut down the generator:  Our AGS has started the generator many times, probably because the batteries were low, but I have never been denied the ability to simply shut it down by using the ON/OFF toggle switch.  In a few minutes, the AGS will restart it again if the batteries are still low.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 03:24:35 AM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Jill Goldman

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2019, 06:26:58 PM »
Thanks David. I have a Trace. Learning a lot about it. At this point I have turned off the AGS per the manual by setting the clock on the monitor to 00:00. I live in the RV full time and am usually plugged in to shore power so I don't see a need for the AGS. Your thoughts about his?

Thanks,

Jill

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2019, 07:50:33 PM »
Hi Jill,
Nice to see you on here. Hope all is well. You can't go wrong with David's advice on your inverter. I have the same model Xantrex that he has, and when I was doing all of the set up, he walked me through everything.

I don't think I'd ever turn my AGS off. Just me. In the event the shore power has a failure, you would still have a back up for charging your batteries.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad