Author Topic: Hydro Hot HHE 500-07M High Limit switch  (Read 2267 times)

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Hydro Hot HHE 500-07M High Limit switch
« on: July 01, 2019, 04:22:08 PM »
About a year ago my electric hot water quit working. I opened up the junction box where the element is and noticed some burnt up wires. It had gotten real hot in there possibly a small fire. I rewired the box using the schematics and TS material Roger Burke provided and it has worked fine for the past year.

My Son smelled an "electrical smell" last night so of course the first thing was turn off electric side of HH and I opened it up. Some insulation missing and green (corrosion) growing on two of the wires. Easy to replace one, I thought maybe I used wrong gauge wire and it got hot and melted the insulation. I used 12. Got 10 to put back and noticed one is hard wired into the high limit switch. Not sure if I can fix that one without some kind of modification. Going to order new switch but it is not obvious how the switch goes in and out.  I think it screws in.
1. Does it screw in? How do I change this thing?
2. If it screws in, will it drain a a bunch of water or antifreeze if I take it out?
3. It's too tight for a wrench inside the junction box how would you remove/tighten the high limit (Thermostat) switch? Especially to install the new one with wires attached.
The switch is in the upper right corner of the box in the pic.  Somehow the pic rotated itself a quarter turn CCW.  Sorry don't know how to fix it the black cable protector comes out the top of the box for reference.
Thanks in advance as always.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Hydro Hot HHE 500-07M High Limit switch
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 06:23:38 PM »
Jerry,
Are you sure the "hot smell" is coming from that box, From the picture I can't see anything that looks like it overheated.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Emert

Al Anderson

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 10:04:01 PM »
I might also suggest you have something else that is causing your wires to get green besides heat.  Green is usually a result of corrosion.  It can be from dissimilar metals and/or infusion of outside chemicals.   I would look at replacing the three wires, installing paste designed to minimize corrosion and improve connectivity like carbon conductive grease, and fire it up, pun intended.  If you have an inferred voltage gauge, after it runs several hours, check the temperature from the heating element up the wires.  If everything is functioning properly, it should be hottest at the heating element and then quickly drop as you progress up the wires.  Keep in mind you only want a thin coat of grease to prevent it from making a mess.  The grease is rated at 200 degrees Celsius, but it does get softer as it gets hot.

Lastly, I would look for any source of liquid on the wires?  Is there coolant/water wicking through them or water getting into the box? 

If not it may just be old wires in a harsh environment.

Mine failed about a year ago.  I had a junction box right above the Aqua-Hot and replaced the two feet of cable to the box.  Ran the same test repair and everything checked OK.  One year of use and no more corrosion and wires stay cool to the touch.

Hopefully this helps.
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Emert

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 05:26:06 AM »
Jerry,
Are you sure the "hot smell" is coming from that box, From the picture I can't see anything that looks like it overheated.
Steve
Steve, not 100% sure but there were two wires with insulation melted off and nothing but corroded strands of wire showing.  No smells since I secured the power so we'll see!
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 06:17:55 AM »
OK. Just couldn't see them.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp