Author Topic: Jeep set up to tow  (Read 4371 times)

Cathileen Stark

• BAC Member
Jeep set up to tow
« on: June 25, 2019, 03:02:18 AM »
We will need to replace our 2007 Honda CRV eventually and have been looking at 4 door Jeeps (have to have room for grandkids and booster seats).  Does anyone have any suggestions on the best places to look for a vehicle that is already set-up to tow? 

Richard Davis

• BAC Member
Re: Jeep set up to tow
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 03:10:54 AM »
Finding a vehicle already set up to tow is a daunting task.  I looked, but finally gave up and bought a 2014 CRV and put a baseplate on it.  In your case, looking for the four door Jeep, it is about the easiest to set up for towing.  You can just replace the front bumper with an aftermarket unit with the tow brackets built in.  When my CRV has to be replaced, that is what I will be looking for.     
06 Monterey Ventura IV, C9 400 hp
The following users thanked this post: Cathileen Stark

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 03:12:29 AM »
Cathileen,
That's a  tough one. Consider you would need to find a vehicle with a base plate that matches your current tow bar and a compatible braking system. IMHO, (unless you get lucky) plan on pulling the braking system from the CRV. Since I doubt the baseplate is transferable, plan on installing a new baseplate made for the Jeep you purchase that matches your current tow bar. BTW, the Jeep (assuming it's a Wrangler) will give you a rougher ride and be tougher (higher) to get into. We towed my Wrangler for a few years but got tired of the ride, etc, and now tow a Liberty and DW loves it.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 04:01:47 AM »
Cathileen
Many here will disagree with me but we have seen so many Jeeps on fire behind a motorhome.  Ford for me!  Explorer, Edge, newer Expedition and Escape are all towable or last I heard. 
You can get a tow kit installed for the brackets and match it to your tow bar.  Roadmaster towing in Vancouver Wa will do that or buy your tow bar and make yours all new.
We have the 06 Explorer Ltd. And it seats six pretty well.
Another good option is the Cadilac.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Chuck Jackson

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 05:15:08 AM »
This dealer in AZ specializes in flat tow ready vehicles.

https://www.carizona.net/rv-flat-tow-vehicles
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4328
2008 Beaver Contessa 40' Pacifica 425 Cat - Sold

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 06:25:38 AM »
Many here will disagree with me but we have seen so many Jeeps on fire behind a motorhome.  Ford for me!  Explorer, Edge, newer Expedition and Escape are all towable or last I heard. 
You can get a tow kit installed for the brackets and match it to your tow bar.  Roadmaster towing in Vancouver Wa will do that or buy your tow bar and make yours all new.

You expressed pretty much my sentiments too, Keith.  And though the off-road capability is attractive, the Jeep ride at our age and with our spine issues is not.

The Buick Envision is an idea also.

Joel
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 06:31:24 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett, Cathileen Stark

Al Anderson

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2019, 11:56:30 PM »
While I agree with all the others about the ride on the Jeep Wranglers, they are easy to tow.  We have about 20,000 being towed on our 2013 4 door.  The only negative is we tend to get a little extra cupping on our wider tires.

Cathileen Stark

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2019, 06:29:52 AM »
Thanks for all of the replies.  You have presented some interesting points to consider.  I wasn't aware of the 'burning jeep' issue and will have to research that more.  I was looking for a tow vehicle that I could use to go off road for Geocaching.  The Honda manages on some roads, but we were really looking for something more specific to the task.  The stiff ride would be something to evaluate, but I rode in one last year and didn't notice the issue. Of course that ride wasn't for hours on back roads either. Thanks Again for the responses

Darell T Hostland

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2019, 01:24:03 PM »
WE bought a 2008 Jeep Liberty to tow. It was ordered for towing in that it dose not have a steering wheel lock. We towed it behind our 1984 Pace Arrow and now our 1994 Patriot. It has a blue ox tow bar and a Road Master brake master set up. We have a TPM system on the Jeep as well as the Beaver with the display on the dash for both. The only problem is if I don't check everything I sometimes leave the emergency brake on. With the gas Pace arrow I knew as soon as I started to move, with the beaver I can't feel the jeep and it has lots of power to move it. So I have to be very care full about the check list and not skip any items. It has been towed about 80000 miles with no problems.

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2019, 08:53:54 PM »
Cathileen
Have you considered a club cab PU?  The 4 doors allow for taking friends to dinner but the 4x4 is good off road.  Spoke with a fella at Albany who had a hard Tonnau cover on the bed so he used it like an extra storage bay.  Seemed pretty handy!
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Gerald Farris

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2019, 10:12:24 PM »
Cathileen,
The choice of tow vehicle needs to be yours of course. So consider how much off road capability you desire. There is nothing mentioned here that will compete with a Jeep Wrangler for hard core off road use, but do you want that level of ability. The Wrangler has a short wheel base with great entrance and departure angles that make for a super off road vehicle, but it is very short on luxury. So if off road ability is more important than anything else, take a good look at the Wrangler. However, if you want a compromise between off road ability and luxury, there are many choices. Just remember that the longer and lower a vehicle is, the less off road ability it has.

Gerald         

Robin Goffrier

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2019, 03:16:25 PM »
We tow a 2016 Jeep 4 door Wrangler. Its also my daily driver. Bot it new and installed base plates. We enjoy the heck out of it. Towed it thousands of miles. Drive it home to Bend, OR from Indio, CA and back every Christmas.  Also take it often off highway. We are 72 & 74 and have no complaints relative to seats or ride. Wife's  car is 2018 Audi Q5 so I know the difference in ride.  Its a snap to tow. No steering wheel lock so put tramsfer case in neutral, tranny in park, turn off and remove key and go. 62k miles so far and no issues.

Dale Walker

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2019, 10:19:27 PM »
As you can see by my signature, I have a 14' Grand Cherokee that we have been pulling, and I'm not trying to start any trouble, Mr. Moffett, but what was the reason these Jeeps caught on fire? Before this GC, I had an 11' GC and neither was a problem. You said many, how many, and under what circumstances did they burn?

Robert Wagner

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2019, 02:36:14 PM »
We have been towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee since 2006. 3 different years of jeeps.  Transferred towing to new Jeep. Except this year we bought new for our 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Never had a problem yet.  Rides like there is nothing back there.  We use road master tow system.  Our Jeep can go off road but the grand Cherokee is built for comfort too.  We love it and wouldn’t go any other way.