Author Topic: FMCA Plaque  (Read 4440 times)

Anita Johnson

• BAC Member
FMCA Plaque
« on: June 26, 2019, 05:46:16 PM »
Hello BAC Forum Members,

We have new members joining the club shortly, and they have a question regarding their FMCA plaque glued to the body of their coach.  If they remove the plaque, it would ruin the paint.

Can anyone suggest on how to remedy this situation?  Can they glue it onto the original one?  Any suggestions I can share with our new members would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time,

Anita Johnson
Membership Director
Anita Johnson

2019 Entegra Cornerstone 45'
2014 Entegra Anthem 42'
2005 Beaver Monterey 40'

2016 Lincoln MKX

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: FMCA Plaque
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 08:59:13 PM »
They might try consulting the plate manufacturer, probably Kiley Mold Factory, as they’d be familiar with the nature of the plastic and perhaps have ideas about appropriate chemical solvents.  But the glue type maybe not so much.     (513)875-3223

Also BCS’ body shop or Jeff Spear at Bend RV Repair.

Glueing or sticking anything anywhere on the coach is certainly something one has to use careful thought about.  Resale value didn’t occur to the previous owner apparently.  I ruined the dash on an otherwise pristine pickup by just using a stick-up small calendar;  removing it a year later proved fatal to the plastic dash finish.  Never again, and certainly not something transient like ID plates.  There are better ways... even just putting the plaque in the windshield on the dash.

Joel
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 09:06:04 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: Anita Johnson

Mike Tomas

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 09:07:48 PM »
I can't imagine anyone gluing a plaque directly on their paint and I certainly would not encourage someone to do so. But if the P.O. actually did glue their plaque onto the coach, then adhering a new plaque on top of it does make some sense.

For gluing the new plaque on top of the old one, I'd recommend getting a roll of Scotch 1 in. x 11.1 yds. Permanent Double Sided Extreme Mounting Tape. This stuff is very usefull for mounting just about anything to anything, and it has just enough foam in between to use a putty knife to separate it in the future.

Here's a link to a method I used to mount my plaques onto our coach without glue:

https://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,8569.msg59083.html#msg59083

-Just my .02¢ of input. -Not to be confused with the $2.00 input from others.

[]\/[]Tomas
Phoenix, Arizona • Region 4
2000 Patriot Thunder 425
Princeton • Ketchum Creek
Magnum C-Series “Big Cat” Chassis
CAT 425 • Joined 201804

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 09:22:14 PM »
Anita,
The plaque is probably installed with double sided tape, not glue, and can be carefully removed with a plastic scraper and a good adhesive remover.

Gerald

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 09:37:16 PM »
If it is tape, a plastic (safer) scraper/spatula forced in the foam between the plaque and tape may pry it away, as Mike notes.  I’d then use Goof Off in the yellow can to soak the remaining adhesive and scrape away from the coach paint.  I find Goof Off works better than De-Solv-It brand, but patience and soaking is a plus.  Dribbling it between the plaque and coach to begin with may hasten initial plaque removal.

Thanks Gerald and Mike.  I hadn’t considered it being just tape.

Joel

Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Scott Shearer

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 02:23:12 AM »
If there's sufficient clearance between the plaque and the body, you can use dental floss or fishing line to separate the adhesive from the plaque and body. You may first, carefully, apply heat (heat gun or hairdryer) to soften the adhesive. Then use something like Goo Gone to remove the residue. 
Scott & Susie Shearer
2006 Patriot Thunder
Lexington IV 40'
Cat C13
2015 JKU Hard Rock
The following users thanked this post: Anita Johnson, Mike Tomas

Mike Tomas

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2019, 04:15:46 AM »
you can use dental floss or fishing line to separate the adhesive from the plaque and body. You may first,

Now that's genius! 

I would have never thought of that Scott!  Thanks for that tip!
-Just my .02¢ of input. -Not to be confused with the $2.00 input from others.

[]\/[]Tomas
Phoenix, Arizona • Region 4
2000 Patriot Thunder 425
Princeton • Ketchum Creek
Magnum C-Series “Big Cat” Chassis
CAT 425 • Joined 201804