Author Topic: slow slide-outs  (Read 3097 times)

Dan Murphy

slow slide-outs
« on: June 27, 2019, 07:20:19 PM »
My 3 hydraulic slides are acting strange like they are losing voltage midway through operation. Both front slides and the generator slide start out or in fine and then they slow way down like they may stop altogether.It sounds like a battery operated tool losing its charge.

In March my big road side slide stopped on the way in and after consulting the manual I found the 80 amp Hi-amp circuit breaker needed reset and then all was fine.On the rest of that trip slides worked fine,I thought that the breaker thing was just weird, but now I have noticed this slowing down problem. The Hi-amp breaker is on and all connections look tight and clean.I have new batts and I am presently hooked up to 50 amp power and getting plenty juice.

Any suggestions where to look and what to try?? We start another trip in July and I would like to find the problem 

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: slow slide-outs
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 07:55:26 PM »
Since it happens with more than one slide, I’d suspect the pump motor or perhaps a small leak somewhere has diminished the fluid availability.  When you checked electrical connections did that include at the pump?  Also check the tank’s fluid level there, but on some rigs it can be hard to access, and needs cleaning first so no dirt gets in the tank when removing the cap.  Also make sure the solenoid release nut’s are snug clockwise;  do not overtighten.

How long since anyone cleaned and lubed the slide mechanisms?

Joel
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 08:00:33 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 09:37:00 PM »
Dan,
First, check the fluid level in the reservoir for the slide pump. If you have hydraulic leveling jacks, you may have two 12V hydraulic systems, so be sure that you check the fluid in the slide operating system.

Next, what is the voltage and amp draw at the hydraulic pump for the slide system when it is operating. If you have low voltage, you have a poor connection that can be at one of the terminals or internally at a relay or circuit breaker. Excessive amperage draw should either trip a breaker or blow a fuse and that would indicate a needed pump motor repair.

Gerald

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 10:13:04 PM »
Dan,
You probably have a Lippert Pump. Mine is located above the Aqua Hot in the front pass side bay. Be sure you check the fluid with all the slides in. If you need a copy of the Lippert manual, let me know and I'll email to you. I'll try and get it loaded on Coach Assist today also.
Manual is loaded on Coach assist
Steve
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 10:56:18 PM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Dan Murphy

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 02:23:02 PM »
I checked the fluid level and added a quart. I have to extend the generator slide to access pump so I didn't fill it all the way.We ran the slides but we were still having problems. The slides started out great and then it like they run out of juice.

We would run the slide until it got real slow and wait awhile and run it again until it finally extended. It took about 4 cycles to extend the big slide. We left the other slide in. I told Kris we would need to get it to a shop somewhere for some help.
But now I can't get the generator slide to retract at all. It just makes a slight whir and then loses all power.

I put a meter on the red wire and a ground and it registered 13.44 but when the switch was pressed the readings went all haywire. Im not sure I did that right.

How can I get these slides in so I can drive to a repair shop??

Bill Sprague

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 03:20:14 PM »
Dan,

Mine was different.  It was a electric screw instead of hydraulic.  But, there was a pin on the "actuator" that could be pulled.  Then the genset could be slid in. 

If hydraulic, you might be able to remove one or both hoses to relieve the hydraulic "lock" and push it in. 

If you do it manually, you'll of course need to tie, chain or clamp it to drive.

Hope that works!

Bill

Dan Murphy

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2019, 04:13:30 PM »
Bill,

Now after sitting all night I pushed the switch and the generator slide came in albeit slowly and it kinda sounded like it was running out of "juice"!

We waited about 10 minutes and then we tilt the coach a little and tried the big driver side slide and with 4 attempts it did come in.But as the motor or pump or whatever runs it runs out of power and you must wait for it to charge up again.

Where can I check to see where the power is being interrupted??

Gerald Farris

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2019, 04:30:02 PM »
Dan,
I do not know what you mean by "the readings went haywire", but it sounds like there is a good possibility that you have a bad pump motor that is overheating, and it has to cool down before it will operate a little before overheating again. If so, it is about to stop operating completely if not repaired. Therefore, if you do not feel comfortable troubleshooting the system, do not extend the slides again until you can get it to a shop.

Gerald

Dan Murphy

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2019, 04:44:02 PM »
Gerald,
Sorry about the "haywire bit" I thought if the meter read 13.45 without operating the it would decrease or increase when the switch was pushed but the readings changed to .21 and fluctuated to several numbers and I did not know what that meant.

Can the pump actually be repaired or will whomever just want to replace the whole thing?? I don't have any shop close I was thinking about taking it up to Elkhart area.

Also, as per my first post when the trouble began with the big slide I had to reset a large 80 amp breaker in the bay under the drivers seat.It had tripped a little switch. This has not happened again but is this breaker maybe the problem??
The owners manual says it is 150 amp but the breaker in the bay is only marked 80 amp.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 06:02:13 PM by Dan Murphy »

Gerald Farris

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2019, 04:05:20 AM »
Dan,
Yes the pump motor can be repaired by most automotive electrical shops (shops that specialize in starter and alternator rebuilding), but in some cases, the parts and labor will cost more than a new motor, so get an estimate before you write a blank check.

There is a possibility that the circuit breaker is your problem if it has excess resistance that will lower the voltage to the motor. The lower voltage can cause overheating or just an inoperative motor.

Gerald

« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 04:11:42 AM by Gerald Farris »

Dan Murphy

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2019, 09:19:40 PM »
Update:

The problem was the motor to the HWH pump. It was pulling about 96 amps. We got it replaced at Elkhart Sales and Service in Elkhart Indiana.The tech there Tom Bumpus and Ive got  to say we have NEVER received service like we did there.

I arrived Sunday night and plugged into 50 amp and at 7 am we talked to Tom. I told him we had reservations in a Canadian Park for next Monday with the grandchildren and there would be no refunds after Tuesday if our coach could not be repaired. He said stay till noon and let me see what I can find. I came back at 11:30 and he had it fixed he had the motor on site and had made the repair. Charged me 1.5 hrs labor which I thought very fair.

I asked about an awning repair and he did that before we left at 3 pm.Once again the parts were in stock and the repair time was fair.

If you are in the area I highly recommend Elkhart Sales and Service.