Author Topic: Spare wiring from electrical bay to rear of coach??? 2004 Beaver Marquis  (Read 2606 times)

Rick Vyncke

• BAC Member
I am referring to our 2004 Beaver Marquis

I've seen at least one post on here related to some spare wires that run from the electrical bay to the rear of the coach?  I want to install a brake controller for a boat trailer that has electric over hydraulic brake system. 

1) Can somebody confirm the existence of these spare wires?
2) If they do exist, do you have any pictures of where they can be found?
3) Can somebody point me to instructions or videos to install the brake controller?  Did one in my newer SUV and it was a piece of cake.  Expecting this to be more challenge as I don't think my coach was pre-wired for it.  Probably going to have to tap into some wiring that activates the brake lights but not sure where that would be on this coach.

Finally.... Does the exhaust (jake) brake activate the brake lights when engaged?  Am concerned that this might activate the trailer brakes which I do not want.  Will be traveling Rocky Mountain passes and some are long and steep.

Thank you in advance for any assistance that you can provide.
Rick V
2004 Beaver Marquis, Garnet (3 slides)
43'
C12

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Rick,
There are spare wires that run from the front electrical bay to the rear near the hitch. They will have butt connectors on each end. Easiest way to locate them is to use a wire tracer (toner). I've found them in the lower right corner of the elect bay and in the rear cable bundle that runs to the hitch.
Brake lights do come on when Jake is active (at least on my coach they do).
Brake controller wiring will depend on which brake controller you are installing.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Rick Vyncke

• BAC Member
Thank you Steve for the information.  The controller that I plan on installing is the Tekonsha Prodigy 3 if that helps any.

Do you know where I would tap into the wiring that would indicate when the brakes are on? Assuming this is the brake switch (like in a car)...
somewhat hopeful that wiring is also routed through the electrical bay which will make the entire project much easier (I hope).

Thanks again!
Rick V
43'
C12

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Tap into a brake light line at the tail lights and run the signal up to the front if needed using one of the spare lines you hopefully located. BTW, mine were on the dvrs side rear. Suggest you not use a "quick splice" connector as they are extremely prone to failure. Either insert 2 wires in one side of a butt connector or use a Wago (my choice) https://www.amazon.com/Wago-222-415-LEVER-NUTS-Conductor-Connectors/dp/B07CN5974J/ref=sr_1_10?crid=19WMA1XJCQBJD&keywords=wago+lever+nuts&qid=1561747926&s=gateway&sprefix=wago%2Caps%2C211&sr=8-10
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Rick Vyncke

• BAC Member
Thanks again Steve!

Truly appreciate the outstanding assistance provided on the forum.  You folks rock!
Rick V
43'
C12

Al Anderson

My brake lights come on with the Jake Brake too.  While that was great when I didn't have a trailer hooked up, the first mountain pass I ran with a brake controller had my trailer brakes smoking.  I finally installed a switch on my side panel to flip off the signal from the brakes when I was gearing down and using the Jake Brake to keep everything going slow enough. 

I just have to make sure you remember to turn it back on when you want the trailer brakes to work again.

Harold and Gloria Skipworth

If memory serves me I remember reading that the Cat ECM can be programed to turn the brake lights on when the exhaust brake is used or not turn them on.  Need a Cat dealer.