Author Topic: Electric hot water tank.  (Read 6731 times)

Jeremy Parrett

Electric hot water tank.
« on: February 27, 2011, 02:51:02 AM »
I have a leak from the back of the hot water tank.  Anyone with  any ideas would be welcome.  It has leaked rusty water over the Aquahot installed directly underneath  !!!    Jeremy.

Gerald Farris

Re: Electric hot water tank.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 04:54:41 AM »
Jeremy,
Your coach has a Seaward electric/heat exchanger water heater. It sounds like the magnesium anode rod in your water heater has not been changed like it should have been, and the aluminum inner tank has developed a leak from electrolysis.  

If the tank is leaking, you can either remove the heater and replace the tank, or replace the entire heater. Replacing the entire heater will probably be about the same cost as the tank only when you consider labor cost. Check the model number of your heater, and you should be able to find a direct replacement at most marine parts suppliers since the heater was originally designed for boats.

Remember to watch the anode rod, and replace it when necessary so that this does not happen again.

Gerald  

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 05:00:32 AM »
  Thanks for the info Gerald.
 I will buy the marine version with the stainless steel cover.  

Jim Gill

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 09:32:20 PM »
Gerald
Is there an anode rod in the water heater section of the Aqua-Hot system in a 2006 Beaver Monterey? I couldn't find any info in the owners manual about replacing this rod so I have assumed it doesn't exist and that this is not a routine maintenance item on my coach.
Jim

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 05:36:02 AM »
Jim,
The Aqua-Hot unit does not have a separate tank for domestic hot water, but it uses a heat exchanger to transfer the heat from the boiler fluid to the domestic hot water supply. Therefore an anode is hot needed or used.

Gerald

Roy Mueller

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 08:12:22 AM »
Jeremy,  E-mail Lamar Keck.  He knows where to get the tank for under $100.00

Roy Mueller
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 12:09:42 AM by 14 »

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 07:31:36 PM »
Thanks Roy, I will give hima call.  

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 12:30:40 AM »
I have replaced the hot water tank/heater with a new Seaward unit.  The old tank did not have a sacraficial anode installed and that is why it failed.
The anode goes where the drain tap is fitted on the front of the tank so you can soon tell if your tank has one fitted.