Author Topic: Silverleaf Glass Dash Fuel Gauge problem  (Read 2701 times)

Steve Humphrey

Silverleaf Glass Dash Fuel Gauge problem
« on: July 06, 2019, 08:02:28 PM »
We have a Silverleaf Glass Dash in our 2005 Monterey and have never had a working fuel gauge.  We have had two of their techs try to make it work.  The fuel gauge worked before the new dash was installed.  After the second tech attempted to get it to work his answer is that the sender is bad.  I talked to Brad at Oregon Motor Coach about changing the sender and he informed me that he had another Beaver with the same problem with their Silverleaf.   If anyone knows of a Beaver Coach with a Silverleaf Glass Dash that has a working fuel gauge please inform me so I can find out how they got it to work.

Roy C Tyler

Re: Silverleaf Glass Dash Fuel Gauge problem
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 11:59:29 PM »
Check with Roy Warren.  He had the glass Silverleaf put in his coach a couple of years ago.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 01:46:14 PM »
From what I have read on the Silverleaf website, the information it displays comes from the Diagnostic connector (same as Aladdin) so whatever data the engine ECM reads has can be displayed on the Silverleaf. Information coming from the engine ECM includes RPM, temperature, oil pressure, boost, cruise on/off, etc.

But Fuel Level is not something the engine ECM has information on - so there would need to be a separate connection or "device" for fuel tank level sender to send that information to the Silverleaf. I did not see such a device listed on the Silverleaf site.

Do you know if you have something like that ( I would expect that device would be located under the dash and would be connected to the original/factory wires that attached to the original fuel gauge.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 01:58:32 PM by Mike Shumack »

Paul Meehan

• BAC Member
  • Travel with DW and two K9's
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 03:57:05 PM »
Mike is correct.  I encountered the absence of the "fuel level" data as well.  At least for my 2001 coach and perhaps the older coaches Silverleaf does not receive that data.  My old dash gauge is visable and serves me well.   I have an ECM located under the dash just below my Silverleaf VMS. (see attachment).
My Silverleaf VMS200EL is loosing it's pixels.  As a result I was leaning towards converting to the Silverleaf VMSPC.  However, I found a Bluetooth solution from BlueFire (see attached dash).  I have "Instantaneous MPG" and "Rolling MPG" that are available on my Silverleaf VMS.  I have yet to incorporate these two elements into my electronic dash running on a Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro laptop.  There is duplication of information as I am working to find which format, text or circular, is easiest to read while underway.

I hope to test out the new laptop program when attending the Music City to Branson Rally.

Paul
Paul and Peggy
St. Johns, Florida
2001 Patriot Ticonderoga 37' 2 Slides (2015-2019)
2014 Newmar Dutch Star 4369 (2019-Current)
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee  Limited
The following users thanked this post: Bob Stone

Paul Aronson

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 04:35:26 PM »
Installed the bluefire application on an old iPad and used it on my last trip. Found the Text gaues were easier to read than the circular but that's just me. Bluefire worked well on the iPad which I mounted using a cupholder support. For me the position woeked out well. I was not running the Silverleaf application at the same time but all the data displayed by the installed Aladin was the same as the Bluefire. The Bluefire also is also sending out trip data at the end of each trip so I can plot HP, torque fuel rate etc if I choose to, academic exersise at best.

Where did you get the Beaver logo in the upper right corner?
2007 Beaver Patriot Thunder Winchester III
45' C-13 525 Hp
2013 Chevy Traverse

Paul Meehan

• BAC Member
  • Travel with DW and two K9's
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 06:34:47 PM »
E-mailed the logo to you.
Paul and Peggy
St. Johns, Florida
2001 Patriot Ticonderoga 37' 2 Slides (2015-2019)
2014 Newmar Dutch Star 4369 (2019-Current)
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee  Limited

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 09:08:31 PM »
Paul A.
Does your coach have the side cameras?  Are they working well and if so did you move them over to the I pad? 
Silverleaf VMC has to work with a Windows tablet.  Blue fire does not?
Any chance of a pic of your set up?
Thanks
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Mike Shumack

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2019, 09:35:29 PM »
Reading through the Silverleaf website and forums - found that the fuel level (and air pressure) data was added to the J1939 data stream for 2010+ years.

I also found some posts that indicated there was a data source (called Accutrac) for the 2000- 2005? Country Coach models. I'm not sure what that Accutrac is, but possibly it is something that could be added to a Beaver (if it was still available) to get fuel level readings info to the Silverleaf. Of course it may not be practical if it is CC version of the Aladdin system and therefore expensive and complicated to add.

Someone also commented that their Silverleaf unit collects data on the amount of "fuel used" (I think our CAT ECM tracks fuel used) and they were ale to setup their Silverleaf with a fuel gauge by setting up the display gauge based on the gallons their fuel tank holds when full then (having the Silverleaf) subtract the fuel used to show a gauge with fuel level dropping.
The following users thanked this post: Bob Stone