Author Topic: Paint match  (Read 12229 times)

Rick Daniels

• BAC Member
Paint match
« on: January 08, 2019, 03:00:04 PM »
I have, over time, been to several body shops, auto body paint suppliers, searched many forums, and had contact with Beaver sales in Bend and have had as many different answers to where and how to get matching touch-up paint for my 99 Beaver Marquis.  The paint code sticker is still pasted to the inside of one of the kitchen cabinets and indicates the paint manufacturer is "R&M Diamont". The most common comments I received in the past is that the paint manufacturer "Diamont" was no longer in business. While hiding from the Montana cold and snow in Casa Grande, AZ I happened across yet another auto body paint supply house so I went in expecting the same or similar results.  The young man who really was interested in helping me admitted that he could not supply original paint but referred me to Space Age Auto Paint Supply, 707 S. Country Club Dr., Mesa, AZ 85210, (480) 835-0971. To my surprise, they were in fact quite familiar with Diamont.  I went to the store, showed them my paint code numbers from the sticker and without telling them anything about my Marquis they told me it was a 1999.  In less than an hour I had 4 oz cans of each color.  Space Age Auto Paint Supply is truly the pro-shop of auto paint and capable of just about any brand of paint.  The staff is very customer oriented and knowledgeable.  I highly recommend them
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 03:31:27 PM by Rick Daniels »
1999 Beaver Marquis Jasper 40' Cat C-12
2020 Chev 1500 High Country
Three Forks, Montana
"Where the Missouri River Begins"

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
Re: Paint match
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 04:17:28 PM »
Good to know, Rick. I have several glass vials of touch up paint that are original and came with our coach; sadly, they are as dry as the dust!
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."
The following users thanked this post: Rick Daniels

Mike Shumack

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 05:24:23 PM »
I just bought some R-M Diamont recently (in Orlando) to repaint the area above the windshield.I can post the name of the supplier if anyone in FL area needs it (just can't recall the name now).
http://refinish.basf.us/brands/r-m/

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 06:46:44 PM »
Just a thought. When we had the body work done on our Beaver, it was 11 years old. The body shop uses a machine that matches today's paint hues and shades from today, rather than the original. Over time the paint is affected by weather, etc. They did an exact match of today's paint.

I think it's the same thing they do at the big box stores when you take in a paint stick with the color you want.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Doug Allman

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 01:52:03 PM »
We had our 2004 Marquis paint matched by NAPA from a panel we took to them. Matched to the current paint look of todays paint, not the new unweathered look. One caution is to be sure when you paint that the under surface color is the same as when the original paint was installed over or you will not get the same color look even though the color of the paint is matched.
NAPA gave us the new style paint that is flat base color and then clear coat and both in spray cans so very easy to use and build repaired part back to same color and luster. Just take you time and build coats with clear to match coach.

Rick Daniels

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 02:11:08 PM »
Yes, good body shops can do a great job on color match if they have the vehicle there.  In my case I wanted touch up paint to spot paint chips and small scratches.  The coach was in storage when I started my search. I have four colors on the coach and each was in need of some touch up.  I could have taken the coach to a body shop (which in hindsight would have been less frustrating) but I tend to do things the hard way.  I have started the touch up process and yes, up close and with a critical eye one can see a very slight difference caused by age and exposure.  Stand back five feet and and it looks great. My original paint, which looks great overall, is 20 years old. 
Three Forks, Montana

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 02:20:12 PM »
The exterior door that allows access to the rear of the refrigerator should have all the coach's exterior colors.  Ours does.  Just remove that access door and take it into the store for a color match.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Rick Daniels

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 02:35:37 PM »
David, I didn't think about that refrigerator panel until you mentioned it.  Was kicking myself until I went outside and looked and only one color.  Now I feel better.  That would have been too easy.
Three Forks, Montana

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 03:41:48 PM »
Rick, We had our Beaver parked in front of our home when the neighbor across the street decided to mow the edge of his lawn. Once he was done, I counted over 200 small rock chips on that side of the MH. I found a guy that does touch-up work for new car dealers; Called him and he fit us in between jobs. 2 hrs and $300 later I can't even find the chips that he fixed!! Just one more way to skin the cat....
525 hp C13

Doug Allman

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2019, 05:38:42 AM »
I would second Bills info about getting what they call a LOT MONKEY in our area that does some fantastic matching paint work. They even can take out some imperfections including small dents and make them disappear. This I believe is probably the least expensive and best quality to be had.

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2019, 02:34:04 PM »
David, I didn't think about that refrigerator panel until you mentioned it.  Was kicking myself until I went outside and looked and only one color.  Now I feel better.  That would have been too easy.

Your 20 year old Beaver looks gorgeous!
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Mike Tomas

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2019, 07:54:27 PM »
I am updating this thread with some new information about BCS Source for Diamont paint.

I just got off the phone with BCS because the paint shop that I am currently working with in Phoenix, Az was having trouble getting the correct paint code match. The  had NO Problem finding Diamont, In fact got a perfect color match to my Green middle stripe which is a far cry from the Gold base we are looking for.

Yes, Diamont is still Available through BASF Dealers ONLY. BASF purchased Diamont some time ago and according to BCS Today (June 2019) the numbers on our cabinet doors should all easily point to the colors we are looking for.

I didn't get a Contact name from BCS, but did get THEIR local Source for paint in Bend, Or.

Industrial Finishes
420 NE Butler Market Rd. #1, Bend OR. 97701
(541) 388-7372

industrialfinishes.com

Now, with all that said and done, Let's just hope the Phoenix Collision facility I have chosen can pull off the perfect subterfuge magic act with the information I just provided above. Let's additionally respect those steadfast trees who fearlessly stand their ground from an encroaching Beaver...
-Just my .02¢ of input. -Not to be confused with the $2.00 input from others.

[]\/[]Tomas
Phoenix, Arizona • Region 4
2000 Patriot Thunder 425
Princeton • Ketchum Creek
Magnum C-Series “Big Cat” Chassis
CAT 425 • Joined 201804

Mike Shumack

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2019, 08:27:49 PM »
I have, over time, been to several body shops, auto body paint suppliers, searched many forums, and had contact with Beaver sales in Bend and have had as many different answers to where and how to get matching touch-up paint for my 99 Beaver Marquis.  The paint code sticker is still pasted to the inside of one of the kitchen cabinets and indicates the paint manufacturer is "R&M Diamont". The most common comments I received in the past is that the paint manufacturer "Diamont" was no longer in business.

As mentioned, BASF is the company, and  R-M is the paint "line" or brand, and  Diamont is the "paint system". I just bought 3 pints of Diamont last weekend for my front cap re-painting project.
This is considered a very high-quality paint (and it's expensive).
http://refinish.basf.us/brands/r-m/

When I was looking for paint I first contacted BCS, they put me in contact with Industrial Finishes, which told me it would be much cheaper to just buy from my local BASF distributor.

Your paint colors are different (as you have a green in your) but for anyone with the Brown (Sienna) paint scheme, here are the color mix sheets.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 08:34:53 PM by Mike Shumack »

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2019, 12:17:45 AM »
Mike Tomas,
Space Age in Mesa AZ was able to supply me with Diamont paint with no problems a couple of years ago. Have you tried them?
Steve
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 02:57:32 PM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2019, 04:22:11 AM »
Not to hijack, but, I have to put in a plug for the body shop that has come to the aid of my Beaver on several occasions (self-inflicted and otherwise). In Sacramento Ca its Rehorn RV Repair. Perfect paint matching and quality work all around.
525 hp C13