Author Topic: To Run Cat Filters or Not to Run Cat Filters  (Read 2878 times)

Lee Welbanks

To Run Cat Filters or Not to Run Cat Filters
« on: July 13, 2019, 02:32:11 AM »
A very good video on the make up of Cat filters. If the engine is yellow it should have a yellow filter on it. I never use any filter other than Cat, cost more but when you only change oil and fuel filters once a year why not use the Cat filters. Always ran Cat filters in the trucks also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhYOmm6bNjs
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett, Jerry Emert, Fred Brooks

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
Re: To Run Cat Filters or Not to Run Cat Filters
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 01:00:08 PM »
Lee, thank you if you own a electronic Caterpillar engine there is only Caterpillar fuel filters
that can be used on that engine. Reguardless of what U-Tube or anyone says. The reason if you do not use Caterpillar fuel filters you just removed from your engine computer the safety failure safe
system that was built into the engine by Caterpillar. When new fuel filter installed it creates a 5
psi back pressure for the engine ECM and as fuel filter fills up authentic fuel fines the back
pressure will get to 10 psi and a check engine light will come on meaning fuel filter has reached its end of life cycle. If not addressed at 13 psi the engine will Derate power 37 % and shut Engine down.
The other brand this is not available as reguardless what parts counter people will tell you. This
2 micron fuel filter is designed and made for caterpillar only . Going a different direction will
cause your fuel system to be tainted and damage into injection will happen and replacement
Of injectors will be required and fuel system cleaned out at a very high cost.
Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic
The following users thanked this post: Bryan Beamon, Jerry Emert, Fred Brooks

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 02:52:41 PM »
    Greetings,
  When you consider that Caterpillar Engines have to operate in the most hostile environments on the planet, many sit for months at a time, and they spend hundred of thousands of dollars in engineering to insure their dependability, why would anyone cancel that at the expense of a few dollars.
  Blessings & Joy, Fred Brooks
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Mike Shumack

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 03:11:25 PM »
That YouTube video proves (to me at least) that the CAT filters are superior to the other brands. I will only use the CAT brand on my engine.

Dwight Lakusta

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 05:48:41 AM »
I am a die hard to the grave Donaldson filter buyer. But.... BUT... lol. After reading this from Dave. I wonder if I should run cat filters and just stick with them on my coach. I run them on all other pieces of equipment, none of them being a CAT.

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 12:25:01 PM »
Dwright, good morning that question is entirely up to you as a owner but let be very clear yes
problem ahead if you choose not to use correct fuel filter for your engine. Yes your engine will run laftermarket fuel filters and your not worried about the Caterpillar fail safe system that was put
in place for trouble free  operations. This is your choice.  Look at the other side of this going away
from engine builder spec’s. with today’s poor quality diesel fuel available. The diesel fuel fines
Pepper like particles that will pass through the aftermarket fuel filter and slowly plug injector
screens , return fuel screens etc. now your $ 2.00 or $ 4.00 savings that’s turned into many
thousands dollar repair and depending where failure occurred large tow bill included. Looking
at set of electronic injectors replacement with reman injectors because of cost break still looking
Over $ 6,000. and if you feel again Caterpillar parts are to expensive going with like kind aftermarket
injectors for less money you are digging a money pit hole very deep. Problem does not stop at
Diesel fuel fines into injectors your complete fuel system will have to be gone through and replacement of check valves on the fuel manifold C-12 and up. You are talking to someone who
has been on the repair side of cost savings with a Caterpillar electronic engine but by the time
you leave a Caterpillar service shop assuming that is where you would go will be well into $10,000.
Caterpillar engines C-9 and down the replacement of Heui pump will come into play also.
Guess it is very hard to understand with the trouble free and long life operation and rebuild or replacement cost of your engine why a few dollars savings for non Caterpillar parts a person
would even give any thought other than using Caterpillar replacement parts.
Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson