Author Topic: Power gear jack level unit - heads up  (Read 1842 times)

Jeff Watt

Power gear jack level unit - heads up
« on: August 07, 2019, 11:52:14 PM »
I’ve had on my coach a slow, but annoying leak out of the reservoir/pump unit for the jacks. As I don’t use the jacks since I have air levelling (another issue going on there) it wasn’t to much of a concern except that when the oil level is low, then the Valid levelling system won’t allow the coach into travel mode. So I would have to add some oil occasionally.

Finally decided to do something about it. The unit is one solid piece, I.e. the pump and reservoir are, while possible to separate, by and large are one unit. The problem, on mine and maybe others, is the reservoir is not supported resulting in a bit of flex which led to a about an 1.5 inch crack along the bottom between the reservoir and the pump.

Took it out, which not in the best space, wasn’t too bad with the genset out. Likely a bit easier to handle if I had drained the oil, but given the location of the drain plug, I had visions of oil all over the front cap, me and the floor. I used a strap around the tank to help hold it while undoing the two bolts holding the entire unit.

Took it to a welder I know (who does all kinds of specialty welding) and he fixed it up and tested for leaks. He did mention the tank material is quite thin. I’m trying to figure out how to support the tank to prevent this again.

What concerns me is if the tank had ruptured, then I’m not sure how I would/could bypass the sensor to allow it into travel mode.

Lesson possibly for others with similar coaches to check their unit to see if any weeping or leaking.

Jeff
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 11:58:42 PM by Jeff Watt »