Author Topic: Hydraulic system radiator replacement  (Read 2242 times)

Paul Aronson

• BAC Member
Hydraulic system radiator replacement
« on: August 07, 2019, 01:39:22 AM »
I have a leak on my hydraulic radiator (2007 Patriot Thunder C13 Winchester). Replacement radiator on order from Source Engineering in Eugene OR. Replacement does not look very complicated only because this is the outermost radiator in the stack ie the first one you see looking in. Any helpful hints from people who have done this? Looks like I will drain as much fluid (mine is red Dexron III) as possible before breaking any fittings. 48 quarts if the specs are correct. I am not overly concerned about reusing the current fluid as the specs call for Texaco Rando HD46. Cant find the Texaco product looks like it will be Chevron equivalent. One end of the radiator line goes to the fan motor the other end to the hydraulic tank via filter. Suggestions on where to break the lines to create the least mess will be appreciated. With luck the replacement radiator will ship this Friday and take 5-6 days to reach me - then the fun starts.
2007 Beaver Patriot Thunder Winchester III
45' C-13 525 Hp
2013 Chevy Traverse

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Re: Hydraulic system radiator replacement
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 05:58:49 AM »
Paul
We had the return hose go bad.  The one between the radiator and the filter.  Pirteq inc. Of Tucson and all over did a new hose for us and changed the filter to a much larger and higher density filter.  This was done because I was unsure when the fluid was last changed.   A new larger filter to lighten the load and clean the fluid some.  The original Texaco fluid was sold to different companies but Pirteq had the new version.  I have read somewhere that the Texaco was used for better life and heat resistance.
Pirteq could provide more info.
Good luck
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Frank Bergamo

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 09:03:28 PM »
I have a decal that states Texaco Rando HD46 was originally installed in my hydraulic system. I now have red ATF fluid. Was wondering if the Chevron Rando HD46 is compatible with the red ATF fluid. The Chevron fluid is clear. Anyone have any experience with mixing the two?
Frank & Paulette Bergamo
2019-       : 2007 Marquis Topaz IV  C-15 600 HP Allison 4000
2014-2019: 2002 Marquis Emerald C-12 505 HP Allison 4000
2004-2014: 1986 Executive Diplomat 3208 250 HP Allison MT-643
Grand Junction, CO.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 10:28:51 PM »
Paul,
Many of the coaches that came with the HD46 oil in the hydraulic system were changed over to Dexron III to use in cold weather operating conditions. The HD46 oil is so viscus at temperatures well below freezing, especially at temperatures below 0 Fahrenheit, that it can cause hydraulic coolers to rupture or at least spring leaks at seams. So before you change over to the much thicker (more viscus) HD46 oil, know your operating conditions.

Gerald