Author Topic: Allison Transmission Service  (Read 8481 times)

Joe DeWeese

Allison Transmission Service
« on: July 20, 2019, 05:36:10 PM »
I need help interpreting Allison fluid codes on the control panel.  I took my 2006 Monterey with an Allison MH4000 transmission to  a local heavy duty truck service repair shop for service.  They changed the filters and refilled the transmission fluid with 2 gallons of TranSynd that I supplied.  The service guy indicated that after doing the filter replacement they put in the 2 gallons and the dip stick indicated the fluid was up to proper level.  I drove it around 10 miles to my home and checked the level on the control panel.  It indicated I was 4 quarts low (oLLo4).  So I put in 4 quarts and drove it a couple of miles and got the temp up to the required 140 F.  I rechecked it and it still indicates its 4 quarts low.  Same oLLo4 code.  So, I am confused on how to proceed.  Is it still 4 quarts low?  Do I need to add more TranSynd?  Leaving on a long trip in a couple of weeks and want to make sure I have this up to proper level.
Thanks for your help.
A couple of comments.  First, our local Colorado certified Allison service shop, TransWest, would not do the service.  They will not work on motorhomes over 10 years old.  Second, I went on the Allison website to get their help and they wanted to charge me $5 to answer my question.

Bill Sprague

Re: Allison Transmission Service
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 05:58:39 PM »
From a Google search:

"Allison 3000 transmissions can hold approximately 29 quarts of fluid; the larger Allison 4000 can hold approximately 48 quarts. But not all of this fluid is in the transmission pan. Much is contained in the transmission cooler, cooler lines, and torque converter. Therefore, an Allison 3000 could require only 19 quarts on a refill (rather than 29 quarts when changing fluids), and an Allison 4000 could require only 39 quarts on a refill (instead of 48 quarts when changing fluids). If filters only are changed, these numbers drop markedly. Only two quarts are lost when changing the main filter. Eight quarts are lost when changing the lube filter."

Joe DeWeese

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 06:54:23 PM »
I read the same thing in the Allison manual.  However, I'm still confused by the low oil indication not changing after I added 4 quarts of TranSynd.  Is 4 quarts low as low as the message will indicate?  The manual doesn't say.  Do I need to add more?  How much?

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 06:56:15 PM »
Joe,
Suggest you check the level on the dipstick when tranny is warm before adding any more fluid.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 08:24:40 PM »
On my 2002 Patriot Thunder with the 4000 Allison transmission, it took 32 quarts when changing the fluid AND the filters. If this is what you had done, you need to add more, if you only had the filters changed you are close. Marty
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 02:47:47 AM by Marty and Suzie Schenck »

Joe DeWeese

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 02:39:41 PM »
     I think I have resolved my confusion.  I called Allison tech support (800-524-2303) and the tech answered two questions that I had.  First, the control panel low fluid indication (oLLo4) is the maximum low fluid indication.  In other words, if the transmission is 7 quarts low (my situation, the service shop screwed up big time), it will not show a code higher than oLLo4.  I verified the lack of transmission fluid using the cold check procedure in the Allison manual.  Second, my 2006 Monterey has an HD3000MH with the 4" sump.  So, as indicated in the manual, it needs 19 total quarts after drain and filter replacement.  I now have ordered TranSynd on-line to bring the transmission up to proper level.  It's not going anywhere until I am certain the level is correct.

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 07:41:28 PM »
Joe, double check that the 19 quart figure includes cooler and cooler lines. On my 1998 Monterey with the 3000 Allison, to change filters and fluid, the total was 27 quarts. Marty

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 09:55:21 PM »
Joe, Your heavy duty truck service shop could have cost you a trans, they should have known that when they dropped the filters a lot more than 8 qts of fluid is lost, and there is no way the key pad or dip stick would have read that the fluid was the proper level. Scratch that shop off the list, would you care to name said shop?

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2019, 10:49:41 PM »
That’s what I’d been thinking through this whole thread, Lee. 

Not to disparage Joe in any way, but first of all I’m not sure I’d have supplied the fluid, much less without for certain knowing the amount prescribed.  An excellent fluid price from some entity or whatever, I’m sure he had his reason.  That opens one up to partial responsibility if the job isn’t done right.   But far more than that, what reputable shop wouldn’t have questioned 8 qts, and if they didn’t know already have not at least researched the correct amount (was it an Allison certified shop & tech?).  Though the dipstick might seem indicative initially, filters and hoses as Marty points out affect things;  if the tech was so neglectful as to not operate the engine/tranny afterward as is proper practice, and then recheck things, they bare the burden.

Joe is very lucky there’s no apparent harm.  And he certainly deserves credit for catching the problem, parking his coach, and diligently and successfully pursuing more thorough information.  Not all “truck” shops are motorhome savvy.  Some for lack of familiarity won’t service them.  Sounds like Joe got one that had a green tech, or cash dictates service there more than good business practice does. 

There are few places I will take our coach for chassis work, and none are particularly close to home.  Convenient proximity isn’t even on the radar when it comes to service, unless we’re on the road, and circumstances dictate harder choices.  Then this Forum and careful research step in.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2019, 11:23:59 PM »
Joel, Besides the cost savings, the main reason I do all my own service and repair, except for tires Lee don't do tires anymore. I can't believe they ever checked the trans level after the filter change.
I've had my oil changed a couple of times at Speedco's and they do a really good job, they double check everything. I have seen them check the engine oil level 3 or 4 times and then the manager checks it, they torque the drain plug.

Joe DeWeese

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2019, 02:08:14 PM »
Thanks for all of the helpful comments.  Unfortunately I dont have a place to my own service work.  I used to do it but crawling under the coach in the dirt isn’t my thing anymore.  Also, I wanted to use an Allison certified service shop but when I called them (TransWest, 30 miles away) they flat said they do not do any work on motor homes over 10 years old.  The service shop I did use claimed to work on Allison transmissions and always have diesel pushers in their shop.  I gave them the 2 gallons of TransSynd that I had and told them this is just a starter. 
I did add the specified 19 quarts total but the indicator said I was still 2 quarts low so I added 2 more.  I’ll be watching the level closely during our upcoming travels.

KC Snellgrove

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2019, 05:14:18 AM »
THANK YOU all for taking the time to add to this topic. I have a 2005 Beaver Monterrey with a 400 CAT and a Allison tranny. I take my rig to CAT in Portland, Oregon. Last oil change I asked them to check the transmission. He did and told me I would have to reschedule to drain and fill the transmission fluid because he could only get to it from under the bed. It would take 8 hours to accomplish. Do others with this model have a similar experience?

JOEL hello. I would love to know where do you get your Monterrey CAT engine, oil change and transmission work performed?
THANK YOU!
z Sincerely, KC Snellgrove

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2019, 01:41:00 PM »
I prefer Peterson CAT in Redmond, but would not be averse to the one in Eugene or elsewhere.  https://www.petersoncat.com/about/locations

There are many Allison-certified service facilities also, and if I were headed south on a trip and needed tranny maintenance I’d probably try Freightliner NW in Coberg (I think that’s where we had our initial tranny service a decade back but they were maybe under a different name) or Peterson Trucks in Salem.  I’m not nuts about driving my coach through Portland, but there are a number of Allison possibilities in the north industrial/99E Vanport area and on Swan Island.  I reckon I’d check service reviews for the best Portland one if that’s where you prefer, but enter your zip code and first read their services description on the following link and make sure they do more than just Express Lube.
https://www.allisontransmission.com/sales-service-locator

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

KC Snellgrove

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2019, 05:08:05 PM »
Joel THANK YOU SO MUCH. I always appreciate your input! KC