Author Topic: air leveling aux air compressor  (Read 10268 times)

ransher

air leveling aux air compressor
« on: April 25, 2011, 06:51:41 PM »
We came back to the motorhome last night to find the aux air compressor running.  Couldn't shut it down...ran for about 20-30 minutes on 2 occasions.  Every few minutes you would hear a burst of air and then it would continue running.  Eventually it stopped at about midnight and I heard it start again a couple of times during the night but it only ran for about 30 seconds.  Oh by the way the leveling system was turned OFF at the time this happened.  Any ideas?   Read in the manual the drain your aux compressor once a month?  Would this have anything to do with it?  Appreciate your feedback.  

Gerald Farris

Re: air leveling aux air compressor
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 02:39:39 AM »
If you would list the year and model of coach that you have someone may be able to help you. It would also be beneficial to know what brand you air leveling system is, because on some coaches you could either have a Power Gear or an HWH.

Gerald

ransher

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 06:06:15 PM »
We have a 2008 Contessa with Power Gear Air leveling system (no Jacks). Any ideas are appreciated.

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 02:25:45 AM »
I've had two problems with the same system  First, the pressure sensor that turns the pump on was located between the check valve on the tank and the compressor.  Compressors naturally leak down, so I move the sensor to the tank where it belongs.  The second problem is the pressure relief valve.  The original and new one both leak just a little.  Spray some Windex on it and I bet yours leaks to.  So, just this last week I removed the pressure relief valve and replaced it with the only thing I had at the campground, a pressure gauge.  Problem solved.  It runs maybe once a day.

My next project is to find a way to power the auxiliary pump off of a relay through the leveling system.  It makes no since to have the pump active unless the leveling system is active.

Gil
2008 Contessa
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 05:10:37 AM by 14 »

ransher

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 05:02:15 AM »
When we shut off the power button on the panel next to the drivers seat, the aux air compressor continues to run despite it is turned off...did you have that same situation?   As a temporary fix as to not annoy our camping neighbors, we have just unplugged the air compressor next the generator until we take off in a few days and we will replug it in.   In the morning we'll take a look at the compressor. Not sure at this moment until I look at it where the sensor is?

Robert Mathis

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 02:18:27 PM »
The auxilary compressor is not controlled by the leveling system power switch. It is controlled by the pressure switch located in the air line. I have had the same problem with my system. The cuase was several air leaks in the system. Once those were all located and fixed, we replaced the pressure switch, added a second cutoff valve between the compressor and the switch and the problem was corrected. The locking connectors used in this system are notorious for develpoing leaks. Finding them is actaully simple using soapy water in a spray bottle, the problem is accessing all the lines and connections. On our coach, the sub-frame under the tag and drive axles had to be partially removed ot get to all of the connections.

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 04:07:14 PM »
The fact that the auxcillary pump is ALWAYS powered in just dumb!  It only serves one purpose and that's to maintain the auto leveling function when the coach is parked.  I've parked for a week with the auto leveling system turned off after setting it for level.  When I turned the leveling system back on in the manual mode, the level indicators showed the coach to still be level.  I suspect that after a prolonged stay leaving the system active might make sense.  When I get back to the coach on Friday I'm going to disconnect the auxcillary pump and just leave it disconnected.  Even running once a day seems extreme.  There may well be some small leaks on the high pressure side that don't affect normal driving operation or leveling.  Leaks between the bags and the pressure solenoids is the only leak that would impact leveling.

Gil
2008 Contessa

Gerald Farris

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 04:33:12 PM »
The HWH air leveling system activates a relay that supplies power to the the auxiliary compressor only when the system is turned on and is actively trying to adjust the coach height. So if you can determine a method to receive power from the system only when active, you can wire in a relay to supply power to the compressor and your problem is solved. Power Gear may be able to supply you with this information.

The next option is to wire a relay to supply power to the compressor and control that relay with a toggle switch that could be located out of the way on the bottom edge of the dash. Then you could turn on the compressor only when needed.

Gerald

Robert Mathis

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 01:18:12 AM »
I agree that it makes no sense for the pump to be powered continuously, but it is on mine. It was so bad that it would run the batteries down after a few days, which caused a myriad of problems. The real solution was to find and fix all of the leaks. Since we completed the repairs, the pump almost never runs. BTW, most of my leaks were in places that didn't effect the leveling of the coach. We still hear the airbags adjust as people walk around, but the pump isn't running all the time.

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 04:16:32 AM »
Gerald,

I believe my air control system is Power Gear and not HWH.  Maybe the Power Gear doesn't have the compressor control relay.  Mine is always energized.

Robert,

Can you recall were the leaks were?

Gil

Robert Mathis

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 02:43:08 PM »
I had leaks at the compressor fitting itself, at the "T" fitting where the pressure switch was located, and at the rear axle area at connectors. Originally, there was no pressure tank/H2O seperator in my system, that together with a valve that had been installed backwards from the factory caused moisture contamination throughout the system and several sensors had to be replaced. That was corrected under warranty in 2007, right after we bought the coach. We first started noticing the pump running excessively when returning from Alaska. Shortly after, we went back to Wyoming on a hunting trip and the leaks caused our batteries to run dead while the coach was parked at the rancher's house (plugged in, I might add). Later, I got under the coach myself and located and repaired the leaks around the pump. When that didn't correct the problem, I took it to Alliance and they found the remaining leaks. The pump almost never runs now.

ransher

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 10:21:20 PM »
Left for new camping location, plugged back in the aux pump, set up camp and now for 2 days, it has not kicked on at all, other than when I plugged it  backin and it filled 2 days ago and when we set up camp here and leveled.   Wonder if all the rain we have had i.e. moisture had anything to do with it.  Sprayed all around pump assembly, pressure valves,  no leaks noted.  Has us scratching our heads?   Like the idea of a relay switch to turn it on and off.  

Contessa 2008