Author Topic: Followup on C-9 fuel pump  (Read 5836 times)

Richard Davis

• BAC Member
Followup on C-9 fuel pump
« on: July 29, 2019, 10:41:18 PM »
I recently returned from my first trip after installing the Cat primer fuel pump water separater on my Cat C-9 powered '06 Monterey.  When I bought the Monterey two years ago, I was disappointed with its tendency to surge at low rpms.  After researching the issue on various on-line forums, I found the description of the problem (and solution) here on the BAC forum.  I ordered all the parts on the parts list (expensive, but if it worked, it would be worth it).  I did not know if I had a fuel delivery problem, or an air intrusion problem because of the aged plastic connections on the fuel lines.  I decided I did not care which problem it was, I just wanted it fixed.  So, I ordered extra metal compression fittings to replace all the aged plastic ones and did it all at one time.  The results were very satisfying.  It now accelerates smoothly at all rpms.  So, I am a happy camper (at least with this issue).  A sincere thank you to Dave Atherton and all others involved in providing a solution to this problem.

Richard     
06 Monterey Ventura IV, C9 400 hp
The following users thanked this post: Andrew Shoen

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
Re: Followup on C-9 fuel pump
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 11:23:43 PM »
Richard, there has been a upgrade on the return fuel pressure regulator with a little screen that
has caused problems with the install of the Caterpillar electric pump,with surging. It is a easy
repair by removing the screen. The reason for this screen in the return fuel pressure regulator
was to maintain diesel fuel back pressure within the engine fuel rail that operates off the mechanical
fuel transfer pump on the back of the Heui pump. The electric fuel pump will provide more constant
fuel flow and fuel pressure that the mechanical fuel transfer pump cannot maintain.
Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Richard Davis

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 02:22:27 AM »
Dave!
Thanks for the heads-up.  Where can I find information about how to remove the screen.

Richard

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2019, 05:08:57 AM »
Richard, I will provide information for you off my Cat SIS program when I get in tomorrow.
Can you send me a email address where I can email you. Not sure but may have information
posted on Ask Dave located in technical area. Dave

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 05:31:09 AM »
Richard, have part number for the update ( return fuel pressure regulator). The new part number
294-8126 return fuel pressure regulator. Note the regulator and check valve are threaded together
and will unscrew from each other.  90 micron screen has been added between the Regulator and
Check valve. The screen is about size of a dime o.d. Wise. Will send picture of check valve as soon

Richard Davis

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 05:10:01 PM »
Dave

I have been unable to locate the part you described (294-8126 return fuel pressure regulator).  I searched on-line as well as at my local Cat dealer (Warren Cat, Tulsa, OK.).  I came up empty.  Can you provide me some additional information as to where to locate this part and get some information as to how to install it.  As always, thanks for sharing your experience and expertise.

Richard

Mike Shumack

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2019, 06:37:07 PM »
Picture of Fuel Pressure regulator located on rear of cylinder head.

Richard Davis

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2019, 07:36:05 PM »
Dave

I reread your previous posting and noticed I failed to send you my e-mail as you requested.

hex_nut@yahoo.com

Thanks

Richard

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2019, 08:15:59 PM »
Richard and mike, the picture posted is not the return fuel pressure regulator for Cat C-9. Can you send me a email and your engine S/N number. The picture does show what you are looking for,
mike has the correct location for return fuel exit from head with the elbow but the regulator that attaches where hose located is missing. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2019, 08:54:46 PM »
Pictures of Fuel Pressure Regulator from Dave.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Richard Davis

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2019, 02:34:17 AM »
Dave

I see the problem.  In the pictures Steve posted, the part # is 294-8621.  The numbers got transposed in the previous post.
My serial # is 9DG04275

Thanks for your assistance.

Richard

Mike Shumack

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2019, 12:54:21 PM »
I'm glad Dave is around to help - this can get pretty confusing.
I put your serial number into the CAT Parts lookup https://parts.cat.com/en/ringpower and come up with a different part number for the fuel pressure regulator (it looks the same as the part posted previously). I wonder what is different.
Okay - I see the parts in the photos above are for engine serial numbers 9DG1... and above, and your serial number is below that (9DG0...).

Bill Newman

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2019, 11:02:24 PM »
Where can I find the parts list Richard Davis refers to?
Thank you, Bill

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2019, 11:25:14 PM »
Bill, go back up to Steve Huber post with pictures he posted for me and bottom picture will
Give you all info and picture number 1 and two will show you what return fuel pressure regulator.
I asked questions sent to Steve for Ask Dave about your problem the other evening.

Mike Genna

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2020, 11:05:07 PM »
Can anybody send me the link for instructions to install the 24volt cat priming pump onto a c9 cat in a 2009 beaver?
Thank you
Mike Genna