Author Topic: Fuel filler hose  (Read 4679 times)

Roy Boles

• BAC Member
Fuel filler hose
« on: August 11, 2019, 04:26:50 AM »
      I have had trouble with foaming and spitting back when fueling the Motorhome. Recently I replaced the hose from the filler neck to the fuel tank with exhaust tubing. I took the Motorhome to a muffler shop where they bent exhaust pipe to replace the filler hose. With the new tube in place my fueling has been much better with little or no foaming or fuel spitting. The only thing l can think of is that the old hose churned up the fuel before it reached the tank which caused the foaming. It gives something to think about if you are having similar problems with fueling.
'98 Marquis Diamante
C-12/Allison 4000
The following users thanked this post: Bob Stone

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: Fuel filler hose
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 02:27:02 PM »
   Hi Roy,
 Unfortunately the engineers who designed the fuel filler system never had to stand there with their hands holding the nozzle just right to fuel a diesel coach. I commend your approach and hopefully it helps. I always remove the other fuel cap while fueling and it allows me to engage the first notch on the nozzle so my hand won't cramp. I try my best to be patient and count my blessings that I have a coach to put fuel in. Happy Trails, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Rick Daniels

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 02:48:55 PM »
My passenger side filler hose has a crack in it so I cant top off the tank or fill on the passenger side without spillage. Can you get at it without pulling the tire and gravel guard?
1999 Beaver Marquis Jasper 40' Cat C-12
2020 Chev 1500 High Country
Three Forks, Montana
"Where the Missouri River Begins"

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 03:04:38 PM »
Rick, Not real sure on a 99 but my 2000 has body side panels that will hinge upward once you remove the 1/4 x 20 bolts that secure them at the bottom. You will have to loosen the filler neck inside the fuel door housing. Keep in mind they had to assemble it so there is always a way to reverse the process. Soldier On! Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2019, 03:11:42 PM »
Roy,
How did shop attach tubing to tank and filler port? I'm curious as to possiblity of leaks occuring over time due to vibration and flexing between tank and the body panel the filler port is mounted in.
I agree the flexible hoses used on the Magnum chassis were/are problematic. I had leaks develop in fuel hoses on both my 01 and 00 units.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Rick Daniels

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2019, 03:28:07 PM »
Thanks Fred, your response got me excited about an easy fix so I went out and looked and see that the panel your suggesting is actually the fender panel and it seems like that is hinged.  That's my project for today.
1999 Beaver Marquis Jasper 40' Cat C-12
2020 Chev 1500 High Country
Three Forks, Montana
"Where the Missouri River Begins"

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2019, 04:10:23 PM »
Had CAT replace the fill hose to fix a small leak. A bit better filling now, but still foams up. Hadn't thought of metal tube! Beaver fixed this problem in 2006 and up, moved the fuel filler so you can use the truck stop's high flow pumps.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2019, 04:13:17 PM »
  Sorry Rick, After looking at your pic the entry door may trap the panel from hinging up as I believe they install that after the body panels. When you remove the 3 screws inside the fuel filler housing, the fill neck will drop down. You may need to lift the front end to access where it goes. Be Careful!!!!   Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
The following users thanked this post: Rick Daniels

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2019, 04:44:10 PM »
   One more thing to check is the vent hose that comes up and attaches to the filler neck. It is NOT uncommon for the hose to be too long and allow for a dip in it after years of travel. If that happens, all it takes is one overfill situation for diesel to fill that low spot and create a "P-TRAP" condition. Now the is no vent on that side. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
The following users thanked this post: Rick Daniels

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2019, 10:19:54 PM »
Bill, our ‘06 has the foam-back issue.  If they moved the location to fix it then it didn’t work.  Opening the other side fill is something I don’t do... if it foams back it seems likely to do it first on the side with no fuel coming in to restrict it, and where I can’t see it happening.  That assumes the foam is coming from the tank and not originating in the neck.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2019, 10:43:03 PM »
  The fuel tank is mounted up between the frame rails with minimal space on top. This causes the manufacturer to mount the fill tubes on the side of the tank just below the frame rails. When the tank is more than 2/3 full, the fuel you are putting in starts to crash into the existing fuel in the tank. I believe this contributes to the foaming because of the resistance. No real fix for this except slow down the flow while you raise the fuel level to full. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2019, 05:43:09 AM »
When we first encountered the problem, someone hinted that the two sides converged in a “Y” before entering the tank, and that caused more splashing and thus foam.  When I eventually got a decent look at things, the configuration met what Fred describes above... no “Y”.

I’ve learned to accept the longer fill times associated with low speed pumps.  Cleaning up the mess that usually results with high speed trucker pumps wipes out any fill time they might save anyway.  They are made for neck-free saddle tanks where there’s no choke point for foam to build up in, and where the user can see the fuel level.  I only use the high speed pumps if there’s no other option.  I have to go slower using them, which doesn’t always sit well with on-the-clock truckers lined up behind me.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Roy Boles

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2019, 05:47:06 AM »
Steve I used about 6 inches of new hoes at each end of tube to complete the installation. I used the fender as a door, held the door up with a bungee. I only fuel from the right side so I only had one side to work on. Some time ago I found that the vint hose was cinked at the filler nick. I found a pice of bent tube  to eliminate the cink.
'98 Marquis Diamante
C-12/Allison 4000

Roy Boles

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2019, 05:56:21 AM »
I use a wedge made from thin plywood  that I slip into  the back of filler handle to set the flow.
'98 Marquis Diamante
C-12/Allison 4000