Author Topic: Semi urgent. Engine serial number  (Read 6919 times)

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
Re: Semi urgent. Engine serial number
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2019, 11:53:08 PM »
Adam,  pulled up the tag you posted ( 9NS08290 ) it is a valid Caterpillar S/N number for your
Engine. Information build date 1998-04-22,  Test date 1988-04-22,  shipped date 1998-04-27
Arrangement Number for 9NS08290  156-2049.  Engine HP. 425. This is your engine Serial Number
and note: anytime you order any Caterpillar parts be sure to use the engine S/N 9NS08290
and A/R number 156-2049 and you will get all correct parts off engine build sheet.
Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2019, 12:55:09 AM »
Thanks so. I hope Dave.  I’m sure that will save me some headaches going forward. I appreciate your help.

If I replace my fuel line from the tank to the primary, you suggested a 5/8 air line with brass fittings.  CAT Parts recommended a standard fuel line.  By plastic air line do you mean that hard plastic like they use for the air bags, or the brake air line?  How crucial is that fuel line material.  I’ll need something fairly flexible to snake from the tank to the engine compartment.  Still not sure how I’ll do that.  Have someone coming this week to see if a repair is possible.  If not, new line it is. 

Thanks again.

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2019, 02:29:43 AM »
Adam, on the newer motorhomes they ( mfg ) used plastic hose . Such as air line used for the air brakes. My suggestion I would get 50 feet of 5/8  air line that will come in a roll. Than make note
of what you will need in brass air line fittings of which two fittings wil need one end for pipe thread
and other end to air line . Note a brass air line fitting has a hex nut that goes on air line first , than
A brass farrel
 that slides on outside of plastic tube , than a steel insert that goes into the plastic
tube. Step 2 attach the pipe fitting end of brass fitting into the water/ fuel filter intake end, last
Take plastic air line with hex nut and attach to brass fitting body.  Repeat the same for pickup
tube in center of fuel tank. Look over the fuel tank because you will need to drop the fuel tank
To get at the pickup tube. Last the brass air fittings will make a air tight connection that will not
Allow entry of air. Plastic hose is rated for 250 psi and up. Be sure that you install hex nut , Farrell
than steel insert into center of plastic hose.  Last plastic tubing is flexible but do not kick or sharp
bend in tubing or hose on install. Check with Caterpillar on price of there fuel hose and nessary fitting
It might surprise you on cost and go with them. Recheck on how you are going to drop fuel tank
of which will need a helper. Might want to check what Cat will charge to install hose
Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2019, 10:31:22 PM »
Thanks Dave.  So if I go with the air hose, I'll need to change the fittings on the tank and the Primary filter?  They have flare fittings now.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2019, 12:29:43 AM »
It's easy to change the fittings on the filter (either NTP threads or ORB) then use a standers compression fitting on the new fuel line.
Or you could use an adapter (a JIC 37-degree swivel end to NTP) and the thread the compression fitting into that adapter. I would try to use the fewest fittings/adapters possible though where possible. Your choice of fittings depends on which hose type you use.

I just EDITED this post to add - if you use the Nylon Air Brake tubing for Diesel Fuel, it should be the Type B tubing. Parker makes two nylon Fuel lines (pasted below). If your going to go through all the trouble to replace the entire line (tank to engine) I would suggest you go with the high temp line or a tubing with reinforcement - for longevity.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 01:08:45 PM by Mike Shumack »

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2019, 05:08:25 AM »
Thanks Mike.  Changing the fitting at the filter is no problem.  I think it will be impossible to change the flare elbow that comes out of the tank though.  I’m Trying to do this without dropping the tank (it’s full).  Will need to use an adapter there. 

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2019, 01:19:07 PM »
You'll have to transfer  the fuel to a drum and drop the tank as there is no other way. When Dave Atherton was younger he helped me drop the the tank onto the axle and that gave us enough room to pull the pickup tube out. Fortunate for us the tank was only 1/3 full. Gosh I think we did that 6 or 7 years ago
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2019, 04:01:18 PM »
Jim, the fuel line on my tank attaches to the fitting at the top of the front vertical surface of the tank. There’s just enough room to attach the connector to the fitting, but not enough room to remove and replace the flare fitting coming out of the tank.