Author Topic: Leaking hydraulic line for slide outs  (Read 3862 times)

David Sacks

• BAC Member
Leaking hydraulic line for slide outs
« on: August 15, 2019, 09:52:27 PM »
I brought me coach in for a trip check just before the Las Vegas rally. I was told there is a small leak in a hydraulic line for the slide outs. I checked with the mechanic the other day to inquire of the cost. I was told if it's not a large or long line about $800.00. But the way it is threaded through the chassis it could be a large long line which could cost thousands. Any thoughts?
David Sacks
David@SacksTeam.com
214-683-3957
2008 Beaver Patriot Thunder Brandywine IV
45', 4 Slides, 525 C-13 Cat
2013 F150 FX4

Gerald Farris

Re: Leaking hydraulic line for slide outs
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 10:22:46 PM »
David,
The slide hydraulic lines have hold pressure to keep the slide in position, especially the line that is pressurized to retract the slide. The $800 guestimate sounds a little high to me because there is no need to remove the old line. You just cap it off and run the replacement through an accessible route between the control valve and the hydraulic cylinder. It can be ridiculously expensive to remove the old line and run a new line in the same path, and there is no good reason to do so. Just be careful to insulate the new line from any sharp or abrasive edges.

Gerald
The following users thanked this post: David Sacks

David Sacks

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 10:39:20 PM »
Gerald, Thanks. Do you know anyone good in Phoenix area?
David Sacks
David@SacksTeam.com
214-683-3957
2008 Beaver Patriot Thunder Brandywine IV
45', 4 Slides, 525 C-13 Cat
2013 F150 FX4

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 11:07:31 PM »
David,
Since I do all of my own chassis work, I do not have any personal experience, but I have heard many good comments about Massey Diesel. Other than that, you will just have to wait for someone else to post or read the service providers list that Steve has assembled.

Gerald

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 05:15:47 AM »
David, I did this repair on both lines for my slide, in the way Gerald describes.  It wasn’t particularly difficult.  I think I paid about $60 for each line and spent a couple hours routing the lines, making sure they were not in the way of anything that could puncture or squeeze them.  The hardest part is climbing under the coach and routing the line through small spaces. 

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 01:37:59 PM »
I had the same type issue about a year ago.  CAT dealer wouldn't even try to fix because of the placement of the line.  Fred Brooks suggested that I contact Pirtek.  They are a nationwide mobile hydraulic repair service.  I did as he suggested.  They came out the next day and replaced 3 of the 4 hydraulic lines.  Took about 6-7 hours at a cost of about 1100.00.  The hoses that they installed started drooping a couple weeks later but we had left on an extended trip.  I did a temp fix with that, advertised on TV, super sticky seal tape and called the Pirtek office.  Their Supervisor sent the tech back when we got home after about 2 months had passed.  He rehung the cables at no charge.  No problems since.  If all the offices are as good as the Altemonte Springs FL office I highly recommend them.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 03:56:25 PM »
    Dave,

If you are mechanically inclined and do your own repairs, You can have the lines fabricated and you can route them safely to their destination at about 60 to 70 dollars each. Pirtek is a nationwide hydraulic hose replacement company. I replaced both of mine in 2014 and it took about 4 hours. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

David Hill

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2019, 02:55:12 AM »
I'm having the same issue with my 03 Beaver Monterey. I have a hole in the line. My question is do you have to have the slides open to route the new line or is there another way to access the route?

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2019, 02:31:11 PM »
  Dave, not sure on your model. I would start by locating the hydraulic cylinder between the 2 outriggers and then where the hoses connect and route safely and securely towards the solenoids. As Gerald suggests, cap off the old lines then ty-wrap securely out of the way. After the hoses are installed, top off the pump reservoir with hydraulic fluid or type 3 automatic transmission fluid, then operate the room several times while holding the switch down for an additional 3 seconds after the room travel has stopped. This will purge any air that was in the hoses after the installation. When the sound of the pump "starts to squeal" after the room stops moving that means the pressure relief valve has purged all the air. Check the reservoir and top off the fluid one last time and then tell your Coach how much you Love her!  Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6