Author Topic: Carefree OtD troubleshoot  (Read 6595 times)

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Carefree OtD troubleshoot
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2019, 07:13:39 AM »
This motor slides left.  Apparently some distance in it engages the roller tube via an adapter.  I don’t see how it could slide right.  Using a special iFixit tool, I pried the left end cap off and started removing the end plate that holds the motor to the outer case.  But the inner roller tube wouldn’t roll when I manually tried to pull the awning out.  The motor’s locked up and won’t let the tube roll.  I can’t slide left due to the big awning’s arm mounted on the coach wall in the way.  The arms won’t release until the motor is pulled out enough to disengage. 

But I was afraid I’d get it out until it hit the awning arm, and either that wouldn’t be far enough or some other glitch would occur, and I wouldn’t be able to slide it back in, leaving me with a partly disassembled unit, not necessarily roadworthy.  Carefree changed designs frequently in the years around 2005 and 2008, so your model may be different, Laurel.  I may call them and ask about possible motor removal to the right, but the instructions say and illustrate only left.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Laurel Moore

• BAC Member
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2019, 12:38:12 PM »
Joel, you  are correct  The motor does remove from the left sorry about that. I think the difference on my removal was easier  because my motor quit in the open position I was able to remove the arms and get the motor out.  I disassemble the awning , arms, cover to remove the motor . The arms are spring loaded be careful with them.
Laurel Moore
2009 Beaver Contessa 43ft
Toad 2011 Jeep Wrangler

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2019, 01:07:26 PM »
I was concerned about the spring arms also, should I get that far, but Jeff at Bend RV Repair said they weren’t particularly strong and wouldn’t be troublesome.  With the thing closed and the arms and awning blocking the 3 screws holding the case to the coach, and the big awning’s arm preventing me from sliding the motor out, I reassembled it all and will begrudgingly pay a pro to replace the motor.  The big awning’s arm may be no big deal for someone familiar with it, but Jeff implied it had to be done right to stabilize that awning, and maybe a 2 man job, a luxury I don’t have.  And past experience with that doggone awning - I just don’t care to revisit anything to do with it;  get an arm imperceptibly out of alignment and wear the motor drive shaft sleeve (the only real thing holding the awning closed)... let’s just say it’s not mountain freeway friendly.

At least I probably saved a little labor time in that a tech won’t have to diagnose the OtD awning.  Hmmmm... well, for his own ease of mind he likely will anyway, sigh 😪.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat