Author Topic: Shore power problem  (Read 4094 times)

Robert Mielenz

• BAC Member
Shore power problem
« on: August 18, 2019, 01:16:08 AM »
Was plugged into a 110 circuit I have used before, Trace monitor began alternating between green incoming power and invert. This continued for a short while, then the red over-current led came on and the incoming power line led went off. I reset the over-current fault. Now there is no incoming 110 ac. The generator works and powers up everything, but nothing from shore power. Checked the outlet and there is power available. Checked circuit breakers and none were tripped. Any thoughts on how to restore shore power?
2004 Marquis
C 12 505
08 Honda CRV
97 Patriot

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Shore power problem
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 03:59:32 AM »
The circuit you are using is probably GFIC protected and you most likely tripped the GFIC.  Check it and you may be back in business.
Roy Warren
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13
The following users thanked this post: Robert Mielenz

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 04:33:54 AM »
"The generator works and powers up everything, but nothing from shore power."

So everything works when running the generator... even the 110ac circuit and the inverter?  If so, then the GFIs and breakers are okay.

If the shore power pedestal or receptacle checks out as okay, then doesn't the problem have to be in the wiring between the shore power and the transfer switch, or in the transfer switch itself?
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Robert Mielenz

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 04:53:03 AM »
checking for more GFIC outlets.
2004 Marquis
C 12 505
08 Honda CRV
97 Patriot

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 02:38:09 PM »
   Robert,

From your statement in your opening comment, The inverter remote was seeing 120 volts momentarily and then NOT which makes it come out of standby and go into "inverter mode". Then the remote sensed "overload". From all that, I would start by taking the inverter/converter out of the loop. Unplug the coach, Go to the circuit breaker box in the closet and turn off the 30 amp circuit breaker for the inverter/converter. Plug the coach into shore power and see if you have 120 volts coming into it. If no power inside, your issue is now narrowed down to the 120 volt source, your power cord or your "transfer relay". If you do have 120 volts inside the coach (except the circuits the inverter/converter power up) your issue is in the inverter/converter or circuit breakers that are downstream of the inverter/converter. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Robert Mielenz

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2019, 04:59:02 PM »
Thank you, trying it now Bob
2004 Marquis
C 12 505
08 Honda CRV
97 Patriot

Robert Mielenz

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2019, 05:17:00 PM »
Tried your remedy, no joy.  working on cord or transfer switch issues.  Thanks Bob
2004 Marquis
C 12 505
08 Honda CRV
97 Patriot

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2019, 05:41:17 PM »
   Robert,

My educated guess is the transfer relay. Remove the lid from the box and the schematic will show where shore power is coming in. Test with voltmeter to see if both legs of 120 volts are present. (red and black wires) if yes then the power source and cord are good. Next check for 120 volt on terminals going to the inside of the coach to the circuit breaker box. No power there indicates the transfer relay is not working: Replace the transfer relay box. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Robert Mielenz

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2019, 09:38:12 PM »
Can you send me a picture of the relay box?  I don't have a clue. Bob
2004 Marquis
C 12 505
08 Honda CRV
97 Patriot

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2019, 09:52:50 PM »
   Bob,
I do not have a picture available and my coach is 18 miles away. The box is approximately 10" by 10" by 4" thick. On my coach it is in the 4th compartment on the passenger side tucked way back the rear mounted on the ceiling or wall. It also is idenified by 3 conduits of wiring going into it. (shore, generator, and the output to the breaker box. Maybe someone out there in Forum land can chime in who owns an 04 Marquis and be more specific. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

David T. Richelderfer

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2019, 01:20:07 AM »
About a yard ahead of the inverter and on the basement ceiling between the two large heavy metal channel beams that run the length of the coach we have two like-sized gray, metal boxes.  One gray box on the street-side is an ESCO 240v, 50a Transfer Switch.  The other gray box on the curbside is, I assume, a built-in surge protector but there is no label visible on the side I can see to confirm that.  FYI - I accessed the transfer switch location by opening the basement door immediately fore of the water bay door - again, a street-side door.

The following users thanked this post: Robert Mielenz, Fred Brooks

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2019, 02:07:53 AM »
  Dave, Thanks for the assistance. If the other box is a surge protector, Then the shore cord would go thru that first then into the transfer relay box. If that is the case, the issue could be in that box if his 50amp source experienced a power surge and it is the sacrificial type surge protector. Note: I am not real sure what his 120 volt source is from. 50 amp, 30amp or a receptical in his garage. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Bob Stone

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2019, 08:35:19 AM »
This experience may not have anything to do with the issue you are having but it does provide an example of power at the post but nothing at the transfer switch.
After replacing the inverter because of failure to charge it was determined that a wire or two in the 50 ampere plug had been pulled loose by an over zealous power cord rewinder. I don't know if loose or disconnected wires in the shore power plug would have had any effect on the inverter charge feature but every time I see the bill for the replacement inverter it makes me wonder if a ten minute test and tightening would have saved the cost of inverter replacement.
My nickels worth since we no longer have pennies in Canada. 😉
Bob Stone
'05 Monterey Laguna IV  Cat C-9
The following users thanked this post: Robert Mielenz, Fred Brooks

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2019, 02:49:50 PM »
    Bob, Thanks for a great example of how important accurate diagnosis is. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

David T. Richelderfer

• BAC Member
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2019, 03:16:56 PM »
Bob - I hope you kept the replaced inverter for a backup unit if nothing else.

When the charging circuit in my old Xantrex Trace 2512 Inverter went out several years ago, the tech removed it and I watched him bench test it.  I was able to see on the instruments that it was not working properly.  I did not keep it; it was original to the coach and nearing 20 years old and weighed a ton!