Author Topic: Radiator surge tank  (Read 2668 times)

Adam Hicklin

Radiator surge tank
« on: August 23, 2019, 06:07:39 PM »
I have the white plastic (long and flat) surge tank in the engine compartment.  It always looks empty.  There is an “add” mark at the bottom, and a “full” mark towards the top.  What does that mean?  Should it be full when hot?  Add when cold?  Or hot?  It’s almost impossible to tell from the engine access door because the thing is so opaque, you can’t see the fluid.  Since I had the bed out and the top access cover open I was able to take the cap off.  Sitting cold, there is a slight bit of fluid in the bottom. Below the add mark.  Any ideas?

Thanks

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
Re: Radiator surge tank
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 06:17:41 PM »
Add when cold (its pressurized, just like your car) so that its below the full mark when hot.

My tank (different shape than yours) was also made of the impossible to see thru plastic. I would add a gallon of coolant and the next thing (after running awhile) same tank level. Finally had the tank replaced this June with a welded aluminum tank with a real sight glass. Haven't added a drop of coolant since, and I can clearly see the level in the sight glass thru the engine cover.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 07:13:06 PM »
Adam,
The OEM C12 surge tank is from a Ford Truck and is prone to discoloring, cracking, and leaking. Many of us changed the radiator cap from the OEM 13lb unit to a 7lb unit to reduce the amount of stress on the tank from expansion since the C12 runs relatively cool and the 13lb is overkill. http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,8558.0.html

The real fix is to replace the plastic tank with a metal one. http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,6140.msg45426.html#msg45426
If you want to replace the existing with another plastic one: http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,853.0.html

You may want to search the Forum too. I seem to remember a post about a shop in IN that made the metal replacement tanks for a bit cheaper than BCS, but I couldn't locate it.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 08:20:58 PM »
Northwest RV Supply in Eugene has coolant tanks, steel, a bit cheaper than the al tank I choose. Also, Source Engineering also in Eugene has tanks.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2019, 05:06:17 AM »
Adam,
If your coolant surge tank is not leaking, you can just replace the radiator cap with a 7 PSI cap and install a coolant recovery tank in a convenient location. That way your surge tank will remain full at all times, and you can check the coolant level in the recovery tank. The recovery tank needs to be a one gallon tank. There are several links on the forum about this addition to your cooling system.

Gerald