Author Topic: Sacrificed our closet for new laundry room  (Read 3365 times)

Jason Worman

Sacrificed our closet for new laundry room
« on: August 24, 2019, 02:54:38 PM »
Hi All,
So we cleared out our bedroom closet and plumbed in a portable washer and dryer. It is amazing what is available to MH these days. In removing some of the trim and such, we gained a deep appreciation just how well built these coaches were, all solid hardwood, so sturdy for a coach that is 28 years old.  We ran the water lines to bathroom sink, used PEX hose and Shark Bite fittings. No more trips to laundromats.

Robert Wagner

Re: Sacrificed our closet for new laundry room
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2019, 03:20:54 PM »
Do you have pictures?

Jason Worman

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2019, 04:18:48 PM »
Robert,

I will post some pics later today

Jason

Jason Worman

Re: Sacrificed our closet for new laundry room update
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 08:21:58 PM »
Hi All,

So we hit a snag with our install and have to add some 90 degree elbows to have the PEX line connect better. With the Shark Bite elbows we could only find the brass type. Can we connect PEX to the brass fittings? I was always under the impression that was a no no.  Thanks

Jason Worman

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2019, 08:47:48 PM »
Jason, I’m pretty sure you can.  If never done it myself, but I’ve seen them used in apex Maynard times and they seem to do fine.  Check the package or the website to confirm. 

Jason Worman

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2019, 12:24:32 AM »
Here is a picture of the completed plumbing!! Not bad for a couple of amatures

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2019, 01:11:37 AM »
Ahem, Jason, what picture???
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Jason Worman

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2019, 02:34:24 AM »
?? Well, I guess not sure how to shrink photo to a 500 kb from my phone

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2019, 02:43:00 AM »
I'm at a loss there too, Jason, no 9 year old here to tell me how to do it!!

As for the Washer/Dryer, that's why we're rollin' in a 40' Beaver rather than the 17' TT I have at home in the driveway-Happy wife.......well, you know the rest!
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2019, 04:53:40 AM »
Download an app called Image Compression & Resize.  Makes resizing for the forum very easy. 

Jason Worman

Where to vent dryer
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2019, 06:40:16 AM »
Hi All,

Loving the new washer and dryer. For now venting out the window. My wife wants to drill out hole in the side of the coach for permanent venting, For those that have w/d, where or how do you vent the dryer? I am not comfortable with drilling a hole out the side.
Thanks
Jason Worman

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2019, 03:08:28 PM »
    Hi Jason,

I have installed over 50 washer/dryers. Here is how I install the 4" vent. Try to locate the height of the vent the same as the outlet on the rear of the W/D. Try to keep the bends to a minimum. Once you find your desired location, draw a 4" circle on the inside wall of the coach. Plot out the location on the exterior and confirm that location is ok. Using a drill with a small drill bit, ( I use a 1/16" bit) drill a hole in the center going about 1/2" thru the interior wall panel. If you didn't hit any hidden wall beam, proceed drilling outward horizontally in 1" increments until you get to the circle you have drawn. Now repeat this process starting in the center going vertically up and down until you reach your circle. If you did not run into any beams, using a 4" hole saw, drill out the inside panel only. Pry out the inside panel and Styrofoam only. Using a 1/4 inch drill bit, drill thru the center of your hole to the outside. Using your 4" hole saw, go outside and drill the other 4" hole. Install the duct on the rear of the W/D and secure. Feed thru your 4" hole in the wall. install the W/D and secure. Pull the excess duct thru the hole and trim. I recommend using the chrome W/D vent that Splendide recommends. Part number VID403AC. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Jason Worman

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2019, 08:57:45 PM »
Fred,

Thank you for the step by step guide, I am having a hard time thinking about putting a hole in the coach, my wife reminded me that the coach walls are full of holes. I will figure out how to resize our pics and post.

Thanks

Jason Worman

The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2019, 09:24:37 PM »
   No need to be tentative, every coach has all sorts of holes, most intentional some not so much. Ha Ha Just make sure you seal the Splendide vent with tacky tape (butyl tape) and all is wonderful. You know the deal....Happy wife, happy_____
    Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6