Author Topic: Are there any tricks to keep cabinets from cracking  (Read 2262 times)

Dwight Lakusta

Are there any tricks to keep cabinets from cracking
« on: August 31, 2019, 04:40:07 AM »
Just wondering if anyone has anyone has any tricks to keep the cabinets from cracking.  I don’t have any issue with milky clear coat, but some cracks on it, haven’t used the coach in a few months and it seems to have some new cracks. Seems like the wood has shrunk a bit.  Any ideas?
Humidifier? De humidifier?

I Kept the windows open for the last few months. Not sure if that was a good idea or not with day/night moisture.

Mike Shumack

Re: Are there any tricks to keep cabinets from cracking
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 12:07:44 PM »
I would start by monitoring and controlling the humidity. In FL I use a dehumidifier (I'm draining over 60 gallons of water a month out of the coach). Someone in AZ may need a humidifier. I believe they make a combination humidifier-dehumidifier too.
I have this monitor (there are many to choose from): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XTPTG1J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

40% to 50% relative humidity in the coach is the goal. Under 20% can cause shrinking and over 80% can cause swelling of the wood.
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: Are there any tricks to keep cabinets from cracking
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 03:11:12 PM »
     Dwight,

I would venture to guess that the cracks you're experiencing are in the joints of the cabinet doors? The rails and stiles expand and contract at different rates where they join. Add to that the fact they are coated with polyester resin which doesn't allow them to breathe is a real challenge for such gorgeous wood.
  In Arizona we put buckets of water in a stowed coach to add humidity. If your in a humid area I would guess some way to remove it? Either way it is difficult at best. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6