Author Topic: Do I need a "No-Grounding-Pane" type CB antenna? What was installed OEM for 2005  (Read 5849 times)

Mike Shumack

BCS has one in stock ($16.80) so I have that coming.
Mike in sales, did not know whether or not it is a "non-ground-plane" type or not. But it is listed as the correct CB antenna for the Monaco/Beaver. If I can figure out what type it is once I have it in hand, I'll post back for anyone else that may need one some day.

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
For that price, I'll bet its a 3' SS whip. NGP Firestics are more like $50. I mounted my SS whip to a spring mount so it can bend with the branches. Once you get the new antenna, you'll have to hook up an Swr meter to the antenna cable as it enters the Cobra radio box. Assume your's is a Cobra all in one like mine, all controls on the mike. It takes a contortionist to squeeze in front of the driver's seat, using only one arm, to connect the Swr meter. Then several trips up the ladder to make small (1/16") adj to the length of the antenna until the SWr is below 1.5. Someone on another forum was promoting the use of CH 13, I believe, for use by RV'ers.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Mike Shumack

Well BCS called me back and said it was not in stock (as their computer said) so he told me the Monaco part is "AU3-M-W" (Procomm I think) which they get from CB World.  I Googled that and found it - and I ordered one.

I still don't know what "type" it is, but it should will work so problem solved.

https://www.wearecb.com/au3-w-m-white-super-flex-antenna-3-feet.html

Mike Shumack

Assume your's is a Cobra all in one like mine, all controls on the mike.

It takes a contortionist to squeeze in front of the driver's seat, using only one arm, to connect the Swr meter. Then several trips up the ladder to make small (1/16") adj to the length of the antenna until the SWr is below 1.5. Someone on another forum was promoting the use of CH 13, I believe, for use by RV'ers.

Yes, that's the CB I have.
I don't have an SWR meter. I'll have to use as is or go to a shop to have it adjusted. I did see a link to "antenna tuning" on the CB World website. I read up that process.

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
Radio Shack used to sell SWR meters. Might find one at a garage sale. Inexpensive. If you don't tune your antenna for best SWR, you can damage the output side of the radio. SWR only comes into play when transmitting.
525 hp C13

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Assume your's is a Cobra all in one like mine, all controls on the mike.

It takes a contortionist to squeeze in front of the driver's seat, using only one arm, to connect the Swr meter. Then several trips up the ladder to make small (1/16") adj to the length of the antenna until the SWr is below 1.5. Someone on another forum was promoting the use of CH 13, I believe, for use by RV'ers.

Yes, that's the CB I have.
I don't have an SWR meter. I'll have to use as is or go to a shop to have it adjusted. I did see a link to "antenna tuning" on the CB World website. I read up that process.
Pretty cheap!
https://www.amazon.com/METER-Radio-Antennas-Jumper-cable/dp/B002KRME3C/ref=sr_1_3?crid=11CV1QNKG5HNT&keywords=swr+meter+for+cb+radio&qid=1567077945&s=gateway&sprefix=swr+meter%2Caps%2C360&sr=8-3
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Mike Shumack

Jerry, I'm a retired mechanic, not retired Navy electronics tech.  ;D
I wouldn't know how to use that thing.

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Jerry, I'm a retired mechanic, not retired Navy electronics tech.  ;D
I wouldn't know how to use that thing.
LOL, pretty easy I'll be home in a couple of weeks!
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Paul Meehan

• BAC Member
  • Travel with DW and two K9's
Call CB World and ask if the antenna is a NGP or not. Those folks are very helpful

Paul
Paul and Peggy
St. Johns, Florida
2001 Patriot Ticonderoga 37' 2 Slides (2015-2019)
2014 Newmar Dutch Star 4369 (2019-Current)
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee  Limited

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
I did some poking around on Firestick's website and their NGP antennas use the supplied, proprietary coax as the ground plane, so the price includes the antenna and 17' of their coax; $63, if I remember correctly.  I used one of their non-NGP antennas until the trees took it out (again).
525 hp C13