Author Topic: Xantrex Inverter trouble  (Read 8481 times)

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: Xantrex Inverter trouble
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2019, 03:54:07 PM »
   Wow Mike, That sure is confusing. I wish I was better versed in Alladdin interface locations. It definitely states that it goes to a "16620290" transfer switch. Not real sure who the manufacturer of that is. The RJ-12 comm line port on the 40350 RVC is dedicated to the remote display. I would be a little cautious plugging the Alladdin into that port. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2019, 04:06:14 PM »
Thanks Mike, I didn’t make them very happy, but they are going to pull the surge guard 41260 out and replace it with the 40350. If I don’t need the data port that’s okay. At least I’ll have much better protection for the coach electrical.
Larry
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2019, 06:47:54 PM »
Is there anyway to make my new Surge Guard 40350 RVC communicate with the Aladdin? I just thought I would check and see if someone had a work around for the data connection.
Thanks again!
Larry
Larry Fisk
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Mike Shumack

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2019, 08:24:33 PM »
Are you sure the current SurgeGuard in your coach has the data cable?

I'm going to take a closer look at mine (also a model 40250) when I get home, but I don't recall seeing a data cable when I had the cover off to check the tightness of the lugs, and the photo (view of unit mounted to rear wall of last basement compartment) I have of it doesn't show a data port on the output cable side (as shown in the manual).

And my Aladdin shows the voltage/current data for the incoming power and generator (so the data is coming from somewhere).

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2019, 09:13:43 PM »
Interesting Mike, mine shows No AC on the Aladdin. I do show battery information but no 120 information. They are installing the new one right now. I’ll ask the tech if he noticed a cable. I do have the ATS module but there is no cable feeding it.
Larry
Larry Fisk
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2019, 11:20:41 PM »
    Larry,  I revisited your post #14 and was looking closely at the 120 volt module wiring diagram. I believe it could be getting its info from the main circuit breaker box. 1- the comm cables are only 15' long. 2- the breaker box has shunts on the red & black wire I believe for reading amp current.  The dc module only has 3' comm cable so it should be somewhere near the house batteries. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2019, 11:25:33 PM »
   I mean Mikes post #14. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Mike Shumack

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2019, 11:49:42 PM »
Interesting Mike, mine shows No AC on the Aladdin. I do show battery information but no 120 information. They are installing the new one right now. I’ll ask the tech if he noticed a cable. I do have the ATS module but there is no cable feeding it.
Larry

I just double checked my Transfer Switch (as best I could with the limited space and visibility) and there is no data cable coming out of it (I don't even see a data port). Maybe that data port was an option for the TS).

I have a photo of my tank area where the Aladdin modules are located - and like you, I have the ATS module but I don't see anything plugged into it either.

I do recall Steve or Gerald or someone more familiar with these coaches saying the voltage/amperage is read off the "feed wires" at the main circuit breaker panel. If that is the case, and your not seeing any data in the Aladdin display perhaps you need to remove the CB panel cover and have a look in there (probably not a bad idea anyways if you had a large voltage surge)

BTW - just took the covers off the inside breaker panels to see if there was anything in there for measuring current or voltage - and there is not.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 12:11:46 AM by Mike Shumack »

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2019, 12:07:08 AM »
Larry, I hope the campground makes you whole! Somebody put line voltage on the neutral when they hooked up that generator, that's what it looks like to me.

Anyway, my question is, isn't the Surge Guard designed to prevent damage caused by spikes like this?
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2019, 12:49:22 AM »
   Bill, the Surgeguard 40350 RVC will NOT engage the contactor if there is power present on the neutral. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
The following users thanked this post: Larry Fisk

Mike Shumack

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2019, 12:53:55 AM »
UPDATE - I was wrong.

There is a data port on the Surge Guard 40250 model. And there is a cable plugged into the Aladdin ATS module.
It just took a little effort to get in position to see everything.

The data port is on the Transfer Switch "output" cable side near the mounting tab.
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2019, 01:05:14 AM »
Thanks everyone! They connected the data cable but unfortunately the surge guard speaks a new language. I was told by their tech support I would need to purchase the remote for the 40350 and install it if I wanted the data from that unit. At least I have a lot more protection with this unit instead of the 41260.
Larry
Larry Fisk
525 (C-13) CAT Engine
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

Mike Shumack

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2019, 02:18:14 PM »
I guess you could not the get the older/original model 40250.
I saw a couple for sale on the Internet for around $650, so it looks like they are still available.

At least you have the model that offers the most protection. Did you check the rest of the coach electrical to see if anything else was damaged? Hopefully the Transfer Switch did its job and protected everything downstream (while destroying itself in the process).

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2019, 07:52:28 PM »
Sorry for the late response, Mike! They did check the downstream wiring and it all looked okay. The new transfer switch and inverter have been working great. I guess after 14 years things do wear out. Thanks again for all your help!
Larry Fisk
Larry Fisk
525 (C-13) CAT Engine