Author Topic: COACH LEVELING CHALLENGE  (Read 2692 times)

Norm Green

• BAC Member
COACH LEVELING CHALLENGE
« on: September 08, 2019, 03:35:12 PM »
Having a great time at the Branson Rally.  I have an 08 Patriot with an air only leveling system which I park in my driveway when not in use.  Unfortunately my driveway is not level and has enough slope that the air level is not sufficient.  I have previously used long 2 x 10 ramps to support all rear tires to help but theses are very heavy and difficult to move.  The homemade ramps which are a min of 6” tall need replacing.  Can I use a shorter ramp and not be concerned about supporting the tag axle?  What about the inside duel tires?
Any suggestions are appreciated.
Norm & Cynthia Green
Franklin, TN
2018 Entegra Cornerstone 45W
Previous, four different Beaver coaches

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
Re: COACH LEVELING CHALLENGE
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 04:23:32 PM »
For loading the Beaver before a trip, we park the MH on the dirt roadway (dead end street) in front of the house. It has a slope of 2' from the rear to the front axle. So I have made a gravel pad to elevate the tag and drive axles 2'. If you can't change the slope of your driveway, you can try using pressure-treated boards; they'll last longer. I think its very important to support all tires and the full width of each tire when using blocks or ramps.
Good luck!
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."
The following users thanked this post: Carol Moffett

Mike Shumack

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 05:07:36 PM »
When I need to get under my coach, I drive up a set of homemade wooden ramps. I support both tires on the Drive Axle and let the Tag Axle hang. 

One thing to watch out for with the Tag Axle hanging is that the right side air line to the Tag brake chamber is stretched tight (at least on my coach). I could shorten the lift chain one link then it would not be able to hang as low, but it is not so tight that I'm going to do anything about it.

Could you back the Coach in then only need to worry about lifting the front axle to get level?

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 03:57:01 AM »
Norm,
When using blocks under the drive axle, I would support both tires on each side, but let the tag axle hang.

Gerald

Norm Green

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2019, 03:16:23 AM »
Thanks Gerald.
Norm & Cynthia Green
Franklin, TN
2018 Entegra Cornerstone 45W
Previous, four different Beaver coaches