Author Topic: Water in Fuel light On - nothing draining out  (Read 2032 times)

Mike Shumack

Water in Fuel light On - nothing draining out
« on: September 15, 2019, 07:59:06 PM »
I'm on a road trip now - and every time time I start the engine the "Water in Fuel" light comes On.

I went to the engine compartment and pressed the Water Drain button on the Racor unit, but nothing drains out. When I press the drain button, the "Drain light" comes on and the dash light goes out. But no water is draining out. I assume the drain valve on the Racor is bad.

I think I can just remove the hose at the bottom of the filter to let the water drain out.

What do you think?

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
Re: Water in Fuel light On - nothing draining out
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 08:07:43 PM »
Your's is a little fancier than mine, but yes, remove whatever is at the lowest point and drain; on mine, I remove the bowl from the bottom of the separator (on yours, its the Racor filter, grey bowl. Is there any water in your 'reservoir'? I had an intermittent WIF light, found no water, went away after a week.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Mike Shumack

Re: Water in Fuel light On - nothing draining out
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 11:10:34 PM »
I took the hose off the bottom and drained about a 1/4 cup out. Maybe a few drops off water but mostly clean diesel fuel. Odd thing, there was some red colored fluid in there. Looked like a teaspoon of ATF (maybe it was a fuel conditioner).

So if that takes care of the "water in fuel" light, I'll be happy.

If it it comes on again I can change the primary filter (I have one with me) - but at that point I would then be thinking the water sensor is going bad since I'm not getting any water out of it.