Author Topic: Some tiles popping loose - what adhesive is used (thinset, const adhesive)?  (Read 2417 times)

Mike Shumack

I just did a trip to Northeast, and some of the roads where very bumpy. Now I noticed a couple of floor tiles in front of the vanity are loose.

What is used to attach the tiles? Is it regular tile "thinset" (or tile mastic), or construction adhesive, or something else?
I heard construction adhesive (like shown in photo) was used for tiles because it is more flexible and allows some movement.

Maybe this would be a good time to switch to that "engineered wood" plank and get rid of the bedroom carpeting too.  ::)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 12:54:51 PM by Mike Shumack »

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
Re: Some tiles popping loose - what adhesive is used (thinset, const adhesive)?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 01:24:03 PM »
I  have used both but I have had the best luck with thin set, the problem with mastic or panel adhesive if you going to apply to a OSB sub-floor this product has a mix of wax and the mastic will not bond well the thin set will last longer.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 03:59:03 PM »
   Mike, Monaco era coaches used a flexible mastic. Most occurences are near bulkheads above the drive axle and hard to prevent as the coach has settled, On my coach, removed loose tile sand area until no "rocking" on flat surface, clean with lacquer thinner or acetone. Apply flexable mastic, level with surrounding tiles. Let sit a day then grout. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 04:24:02 PM »
Mike,
I added planking in 2 coaches. If your coach has a pneumatic driven step cover, be sure you can access the cylinder from underneath. On the earlier Magnums, they had the access panel under the carpeting at the driver's feet area. I used engineered plank in the 01 Contessa and had to lay in a section of plank that would need to be torn out if the cylinder failed. In the Marquis I used real wood and was able to install an access panel that was almost invisable. Also, in both coaches the area over the step was a .25" steel plate that sat on top of the sub floor. You didn't notice it with the carpet surround but going to planking necessitated laying in a .25" sub floor on top of the existing sub floor. Pics and info are availble on the Redecorating board.
Have Fun!
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 09:50:21 PM »
On another forum, I saw that someone used Fix-a-Floor, an adhesive you pump thru a hole in the grout. It spreads under the tile. Seems like something to try. Google Fix-a-Floor, available (by asking) at Home Depot. Now back to the game.....
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."