Author Topic: Battery Change Out  (Read 3717 times)

Michael Turnipseed

Battery Change Out
« on: September 16, 2019, 02:50:25 PM »
Has anyone used the Apex sealed battery. Made by Interstate and a  replacement option for the GC2 XHD
Description is sealed lead acid / agm at $180.00 which is a little confusing Hardly ever go on battery power so I see no need in the super expensive batteries, looking more at the sealed aspect.
Thanks

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Battery Change Out
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 10:33:18 PM »
Thanks for asking this, Michael.  It’s timely as I’ve begun fishing for an AGM alternative.  My 13+ year old Interstate house units finally need changeout, and though I don’t mind watering them I do gripe the darned corrosion of the battery tray and incessant holddown buckle disintegration.  The older the batteries get the worse the corrosion;  I think from increasing charging effort as the plates break down.  AGMs won’t gas acid, so not only no regular rewatering required, but also no tray and post connector flowering, nor buckle disintegration.

I’ve been going to go with the standard wet cell Costco golf cart ones at ~$90@, and sure can’t excuse the new lithium ones ($1000+ @) plus charger revamp.  $180 @ is more reasonable than the $300-400 for the GC2 AGMs I’ve so far seen.  If they’re Interstates and produce at least 120 amp hours @, I’d have some amount of confidence in them.

For others reading this thread and considering them also, remember to change your charger settings from wet cell to AGM, so the unnecessary “equalization” feature is removed from the equation.

Joel
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 10:40:29 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: Bob Stone

Michael Turnipseed

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 05:06:22 PM »
Good morning Joel, a little further investigation, the battery is manufactured by Apex , under brand it lists interstate. The model is APX6-205, 205 being amp hr.
I also read about changing the charger setting, I know about the changing inverter settings if going to a cell type. But that has nothing to do with the charger correct? Having always used shore power except for a couple times this system is still not totally familiar, I’m still in learning mode, even after 2+ years with the coach
Thanks

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 10:51:52 PM »
Comparable Interstates are $340@ here at the Interstate outlet, although over the phone they mentioned the boss may concede a discount on 4.  Still, presuming at least 10% off it’s still over $300.  They also surmised they are built by Johnson Controls.  The Apex is not Interstate according to him, and the Apex site’s photo shows that battery is Chinese.  The best deal is still Costco’s wet cell Interstate at $99, but they told me they don’t sell the AGM GC2.

Tomorrow I’ll be in the vicinity of the Interstate outlet in East Portland and will drop in to get a more firm price and manufacturer ID, though I’m pretty sure it’s Johnson Controls.  I’d be highly suspicious of the reference you saw to Interstate by Apex.  Plus, after adding in $39@ shipping, you’re at $220.  If I can get the Interstates for $250-280, the brand confidence would be worth the difference.  I’d likely return to wet cells at Costco’s $99 before the questionable quality Apex.

The inverter has the charger in it, which is why you change the setting there for the correct battery type.  It will try to equalize charge when set to wet cell;  other types don’t benefit from that high-input effort to knock sulphur off plates, and according to some I’ve read non-wet cells can be harmed, though others argue that idea.  My thinking is that’s probably why the setting change option exists to begin with.  I don’t recollect if there’s a dip-switch setting change needed on the solar controller as I think, with relatively low current capability, it doesn’t equalize charge.  But that’s easy enough to determine by reading my solar manual when the time comes.

Joel
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 11:14:42 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2019, 10:03:26 AM »
One to consider might be Dekka batteries.  Our coach came with Interstate and they have been satisfactory.  For the cost I would like better than satisfactory.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Michael Turnipseed

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2019, 05:23:25 PM »
Well so far APEX is out. Will look at the Dekka GC 2 this afternoon, I think Dekka is what I put in my Super Duty after a post failure on one of my Interstates, changed them both just to keep them paired. Seem good so far and maintenance free. Ill have to pop the hood and check. In fairness that was my first bad experience with Interstate.

Scott Shearer

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2019, 10:30:58 PM »
I went with Duracell SLIGC115 (GC2) from Batteries +, manufactured by East Penn (Deka). At $121.49 each, they are more expensive than the ‘Costco Interstates’ but they are a higher capacity battery, 230AH vs 215AH and six pounds heavier.

Pleased with them so far.
Scott & Susie Shearer
2006 Patriot Thunder
Lexington IV 40'
Cat C13
2015 JKU Hard Rock

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2019, 09:22:59 AM »
The Interstate GC2-HD-AGM best price is $310 from their own store, discounted not all that much from $341.  The manager said that was the best he could offer.  The wet cell version, like the one Costco sells for $99, is $150.  If Costco can do better you’d think Interstate’s own outlet could to.

I stopped at Batteries Plus on the way home, and as Scott states their wet cell is a $121.49 Duracell made in Pennsylvania by Deka.  The AGM version is $350, but Batteries Plus provides an ongoing advertised 10% coupon putting them at $315, comparable to the discounted Interstate price.  I believe both AGM brands (as are most I’ve researched) are rated 180ah, not as good as the wet cells that hover around 210-220ah.  Scott’s 230ah Duracell is a divergent plus.

I’m not optimistic, but at my wife’s behest I will check Diehard prices at (what’s left of) Sears here also, and Les Schwab.  I’ve seen Camping World’s battery ads before and was not impressed, so that’s out.

Joel

Update Nov. 1, 2019:  ~$258 price now at Batteries + (after 10% online discount) 190ah.
https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/sliagc2
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 08:30:06 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2019, 02:51:26 PM »
    Scott's reply illustrates what is really going on concerning deep-cycle batteries. Interstate batteries makes batteries for Costco as well as their retail outlets. Costco batteries by interstate are a good choice especially when you factor in how 90% of us use our coaches. Example: never dry camp and travel from campground to campground because our coaches are so energy dependent. However there are no Free-Rides. You get what you pay for. If you DO depend on your house batteries to be off the Grid and rely on your Inverter and Solar panels, then Amp-hour capacity becomes a factor. Deka & Interstate GC-2 are the best economical choice. Agm's are a great second choice if you don't mind the expense and "No Maintenance" is a big plus.
   I personally like the adventure of exploring places to park the Coach & Toad and enjoy the view while relying on the resources the manufacturer gave us. This gives me more CAT-FOOD to explore!
   Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Michael Turnipseed

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2019, 08:59:14 PM »
Well this has been refreshing, it’s not just me! I appreciate all the input over the last few days and the extentsive research we are willing to do for the perfect out come🤪-My wife says I make myself crazy, obviously she doesn’t understand how complicated we are!
I think Fred, you sold me with extra “Cat Food” Costco it is
Seriously thanks guys, hope a little humor is ok

The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2019, 10:35:23 PM »
Am checking also into the mfr. source of the Amstron AP GC2 (see Amazon and Amstron site) as it’s cheaper overall (~$228 with shipping) and has more ah (210) than most deep cycle AGM’s.  Haven’t seen yet a local source to factor in a core exchange though.

Yes, Costco's Interstate is still the most obvious temptation, at a higher ah rating than AGM’s and $99.  But is the 1/3 cost worth the regular watering routine?  With an inexpensive fill-jug it’s easier, and with more $ outlay there’s an “auto” fill option that many here use.  So yes. 

By the way, Interstate doesn’t make Costco’s batteries.  A few years ago Costco dropped their Kirkland sticker on their Interstate-supplied batteries.  Johnson Controls actually makes the battery for Interstate, and Costco is just another retailer.

But I’m looking to resolve the incessant disintegration/melting and replacement of my strap-down fasteners, metal or plastic, and the paint breakdown and eating away of my battery tray.  As they age they demand more from the charger, which amps up gassing.  As I age the more weary I’ve become of cleaning battery and tray corrosion.  The gas seems to settle/substrate-condense on the nylon straps and flow down to the buckles and tray fasteners;  chrome or zinc gets eaten and nylon buckles melt in a couple months.  The buckles were breaking down the first year we owned the coach.  Why nylon strapping remains unscathed is a head scratcher.  Once I refurbish the tray I don’t want to have ever do it again, nor replace another strap buckle or tray connector.  AGM in theory wipes out all those concerns. 

Whether any of them, including the Interstate AGMs, would make it over 10 years like the factory Interstates did I don’t know, but it’s why I’ve touted them and the Costco pricing for years.  But that longevity came at the increasing corrosion price.

Joel
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 10:43:28 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2019, 12:30:37 AM »
Update:  the Amstron is made in China.  References in some places to Interstate in its description are erroneous.
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat