Author Topic: Slide alignment  (Read 8512 times)

Mike Shumack

Re: Slide alignment
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2019, 02:38:59 PM »
   Mike, has anybody raised the rollers at the wall opening under the slide-out floor? Seems like something is causing the room to aim upward as it is retracted. The room is adjusted correctly when it is extended the top horizontal part of the room touches the coach interior wall first and then the bottom goes out last. It does the exact same thing when retracted. The top touches first and then the bottom draws in last. The slide room manufacturer wanted to make sure the top seal always engaged first and then the rest of the room came in. Fred

I don't think there are floor rollers on this style. I need to look again.

The entire Slide-out room is supported by the two large steel beams which have an inner beams that rides on rollers. This Slide-out is the "front Roadside" and also moves the basement storage bays with it.

I've been trying to figure out who made this slide unit. It is not an HWH mechanism even though it has an HWH hyd cylinder on it. Speaking with Paul from HWH, he said he believes it is a "Power Gear" unit that normally has electric motors but Beaver/Monaco replaced the motors with the single center mounted HWH hydraulic cylinder.
It may be this one, from the Power Gear manual (I cant find anything else that looks more similar):

In the first photo of my coach, you can see that the beams are bowed a little (probably form the weigh of the room). I think if I raise the outer edge of the room (see that adjustment at the end of the arms), that would tilt the inside top edge down some, which would solve my ceiling trim rubbing problem. However raising that outside edge will also cause my paint lines to be mismatched (I think).
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 02:50:51 PM by Mike Shumack »

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2019, 04:09:30 PM »
   Mike, The 2 metal bars that extend and retract are the "outriggers" and they look like a "power gear" configuration. If you can peel back the wiper seal touching the bottom of the slide-out floor, you will see either rollers or a nylon glide bar that runs the full length of the opening. If the room is opening and closing properly with no jumping or interference and is sealing properly, I would try lowering the horseshoe inside for clearance.
   If you think you want to lower the room when fully retracted, raise the room where it mounts to the adjustment plate at the very end of the outrigger. CAUTION: Before you move anything. draw scribe lines around all mounting points, plates, bolts, washers ect. I do this so I have a point of reference if I go too far. I would raise the room 1/16" for starters at the outrigger and see what happens when closed. 1/16" at the outrigger equals approximately 1/4" at the horseshoe. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2019, 12:18:45 AM »
Mike,
My slide has always worked the same as you are describing.  When I had the problem of the upper slide molding touching the wood on the ceiling panel molding, my guy took the molding off and lowered it by cutting about 1/2 inch off of each side then put the molding back.  No problem since then and my coach has over 165,000 road miles and it has always been high when in and drops to about an inch due to the nylon bar that extends from the front of the slide to the back of the slide (headlights mean front).  Lift your carpet and you will see an aluminum or steel then toward the driver's side of the slide you will see the nylon bar.  I was concerned because my bar does not go straight back but has a bend toward the outside in the last 2 feet of it.  My mechanic said that was to ensure clearance and each coach is different.
Roy Warren
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13