Author Topic: Air in my water pump system  (Read 1748 times)

Mandy Canales

• BAC Member
Air in my water pump system
« on: September 20, 2019, 04:27:17 PM »
When our water tank shows a quarter full it seems the pump has to be primed every time we use the water.  It doesn't do it when the tank is full(100 gallons), 3/4, or 1/2 full; only 1/4 and below.  Does anyone have a clue as to was is happening to the system?  Many thanks.
Mandy Canales
90 Beaver Marquis 40'
Cat 3208
Charter Member
Apple Valley, CA

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Air in my water pump system
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 04:50:16 PM »
Sounds like a small leak in either the waterline, at a connector in the waterline, or at a seal in/near the water pump.  You have no wet spots, either on the ground or in the basement when the water tank is over 1/4 full?
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2019, 05:04:33 PM »
   Hi Mandy, It sounds like to me that your 1/4 reading may be a phantom reading that is moisture and not liquid. Not that unusual on an older coach. If you have access to the side of the fresh water tank where the wires attach to the probes, you could replace the 1/4 location with a new "well nut" next to it. A well nut is a rubber sleeve with a stainless steel 10-32 bolt and nut, washer assembly. After you drill a 3/8" hole with a "step drill" you push the well nut into the hole and as you tighten the bolt the rubber expands to seal the hole. remove the nut and install the original wire. You can purchase well nuts at an RV parts department for about $6.00.
  On my coach when the tank says 20%, shortly thereafter the pump won't shut off.    Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Jason Worman

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2019, 06:13:10 PM »
Fred,

Thank you for the information about the well nuts. All my probes burned up when we had a fire in that compartment and my fresh water tank always shows it a quarter full. I always wonder how accurate my analog display panel is.

Jason Worman
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks