Author Topic: Refrigerator burned my hand  (Read 2258 times)

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
Refrigerator burned my hand
« on: September 21, 2019, 09:55:30 PM »
Norcold refrig experts: I touched the button in the photo and burned my hand. What is the function (other than testing my reaction time) to the silver buttons and corresponding plungers (which are also hot). Photo is of left inside door.
If this heating thing is to dew-proof the door, why isn't there a set of contacts on the right-hand door?
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: Refrigerator burned my hand
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2019, 01:57:31 PM »
Hi Bill, it is the spring-loaded contact pins for the perimeter heater in the door when it is closed. I noticed the burn marks in the case that holds them, you may have an issue if they got that hot. Perhaps the heating element is partially shorted. Not real sure what the correct ohm reading is for a 1200 LRIM which is what that looks like.  Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
Re: Refrigerator burned my hand
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2019, 04:15:08 PM »
Thanks Fred, Door heater, that's what I thought. I measured the door side (plungers) and it comes up as 28.5 ohms. Doesn't sound shorted to me, but why in the world would they put part of the heating element in the door frame where the less knowledgeable (me) can fry body parts?? The heating element should be entirely in the door itself. Yes, that brown area is discolored and partially melted around the one 'button'. Still trying to get the wife to go full residential.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."