Author Topic: Wind whips Windshield Wipers  (Read 2867 times)

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
Wind whips Windshield Wipers
« on: September 24, 2019, 12:15:45 AM »
Wow, On the return trip home, we had some rain. Not unusual since we were in coastal Oregon!. So I turned on the wipers on the Beaver and initially they worked fine. As I gained speed, the left drivers wiper started to bang into the window rubber seal with a loud 'clunk'! If I slowed down to 35 mph or so, the wiper would stop its travel as it should, stopping about 6" from the left edge of the window and seal. Speed up, and bang, bang bang. When we got to Seven feathers where we stopped for a couple of days, I checked the wiper arm and all seemed fine. I did tighten the nut on the wiper shaft a bit, not too tight. Checked it again while underway and the bang, bang, bang returned. Has anyone had a speed dependent wiper slap, slap, slap like this? I'll have to pull the wiper arm off and will reposition it a bit lower on the windshield (it rests level with the road now, when parked). I've never had the wind pull the wiper to one side like this on any other vehicle. Anyone?
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Wind whips Windshield Wipers
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 12:48:52 AM »
I had BCS replace mine in 2012 after Ken Carpenter said that for a time (2005-2006?) Monaco had changed wiper suppliers.  The new ones weren’t as well designed/made, and they switched back later.  I had the clunkers, which weren’t wind-resistant;  in a freak spring snowstorm going over Hwy 26 at Mt. Hood the drivers side whipped out to my left and broke.  There’s a longer and more harrowing story there than that, but luckily we were on the way to Bend.

I believe the better product is by AM Equipment in Jefferson, OR.
https://www.amequipment.com/heavy-duty-wiper-assemblies

A call to them may provide help.  Reckon you could’ve stopped there enroute.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Mike Shumack

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 01:14:16 AM »
Wow, On the return trip home, we had some rain. Not unusual since we were in coastal Oregon!. So I turned on the wipers on the Beaver and initially they worked fine. As I gained speed, the left drivers wiper started to bang into the window rubber seal with a loud 'clunk'! If I slowed down to 35 mph or so, the wiper would stop its travel as it should, stopping about 6" from the left edge of the window and seal. Speed up, and bang, bang bang. When we got to Seven feathers where we stopped for a couple of days, I checked the wiper arm and all seemed fine. I did tighten the nut on the wiper shaft a bit, not too tight. Checked it again while underway and the bang, bang, bang returned.

Yes!

Has anyone had a speed dependent wiper slap, slap, slap like this? I'll have to pull the wiper arm off and will reposition it a bit lower on the windshield (it rests level with the road now, when parked). I've never had the wind pull the wiper to one side like this on any other vehicle. Anyone?

Repositioning the arm did not fix the bang on my wiper arm.

Just this week I experienced the same thing in my '05 Patriot. This was the first trip I ever had rain on (I had tested the wipers by spraying water on the windshield) but this time it really rained.

So my left wiper started making a banging noise when it reached full travel. I thought it was hitting the rubber windshield molding too. At a fuel stop I moved the wiper arm down a spline (so now it is touching the bottom molding when parked). However it still bangs on the left most sweep position. And it is not hitting the molding - it just bangs.

Also, it doesn't always bang. Sometimes it sweeps full and "no bang", sometimes it "bangs". I think the bang is "road speed" dependent. The faster I'm driving, the more likely it will bang (maybe due to wind/rain pressure on the wiper blade increasing with speed).

So now I think there is something in the arm mechanism (where the motor is located) that is making the bang. I need to try to get under there and see if anything is loose or if there is a travel stop (maybe should have a rubber bushing on it that came off, etc.).

Do you have any diagrams or parts-lists for this mechanism? I have a photo of the Wiper Motor (it is the "AM" brand) but can't see/reach much else up there.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 01:21:07 AM by Mike Shumack »

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 01:37:20 AM »
As I suggested to Bill, consult with AM.  This is not an uncommon thing and they probably have dealt with it.    7 am - 4 pm Pacific time, Monday - Friday
Tel:  (541) 327-1546

Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 03:29:59 AM »
Well thanks to all, At least I know I'm not alone....
Shortly after buying our coach, I contacted AM Equipt about upgrading the wipers. The knowledgeable gentleman with whom I spoke said their model xx-xxx (can't remember) would be the way to go but the wiper shaft spacing is different, so new holes (and repair/painting of the old) would have to be drilled. I've looked at the front cap and it looks pretty flat in the areas around the wipers, so new holes shouldn't present a problem, body work wise. And Mike, you might be correct when you say the bang is not from the rubber window molding but from something more nefarious going on inside the cap. Just never heard of wind moving the wipers around.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2019, 06:11:12 AM »
Bill,
Before you go to a lot of work and possible expense, consider trying these 2 options. First, reduce the size of your blades. I had a similar issue and scrapped the 27" blades for 24" and that pretty much solved the problem. The 24" give me good visibility. Next, get some wiper springs that help hold the arm to the windshield.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2019, 02:08:20 PM »
I never had a "bang" but my wipers got really squirrelly (is that a word?) at speed.  They would kind of wave around and not really do the job.  I had an extra 24" for my Dodge Ram (towed) in the truck so I put it on and problem solved.  My vision was not impaired so I've just been running 24 inch wipers since.  I never measured the old blade so don't know what size it was.  2 or 3 inches longer.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH