Author Topic: Transmission keypad indicator LED  (Read 2609 times)

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
Transmission keypad indicator LED
« on: October 01, 2019, 02:58:52 PM »
On my '05 Patriot Thunder, I can barely see the 'Economy' LED on the transmission keypad. Has anyone replaced the LED with a high brightness LED?
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Mike Shumack

Re: Transmission keypad indicator LED
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 09:19:27 PM »
Do you think it's worth the trouble to disassemble the shift pad and replace that light - just to help "remind you" to put transmission in economy mode? I assume that would be the purpose of making the light brighter.

I just completed a 2400 mile trip and I experimented using the Economy Mode, setting cruise to 64 mph, and then driving without Economy mode on and driving at 70 mph. I could not see a difference in fuel economy. Maybe there is, and I just didn't runt the test long enough.
I was averaging 5.5 to 5.6 mpg no matter what I did. Best mileage was around 14 mpg coasting down out of the NC mountains (you would have thought it would do better than 14 mpg mostly coasting  downhill and using the Jake brake). Worse was around .9 mpg going up the mountain. It all averaged out in the end.

The Economy mode says it adjusts the shift points. Do you know what those adjustments are? I couldn't fins anything specific in the manual. Does it just shift at a lower rpm or are there changes in the torque converter lock-up too (note comment below).

RE: I did find something interesting in the manual about how the shift modes can be set up ("optional" shift modes). I wonder how our coaches are programmed. It looks like there are variations in programming as to whether the transmission torque converter "locks up" in each lower gear or not.
It shows three options, but only "option 3" shows a 6th gear lock-up. Converter lockup is the most economical mode.

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 10:37:07 PM »
   Bill, economy mode basically makes the transmission shift 200 to 300 rpm earlier. If you try economy around town, it is so much more better mannered and drives more like a car. Without economy, it is always looking for more throttle to get to the next gear. As far as fuel economy, I don't know. I just like the way she behaves around town. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 11:11:45 PM »
Bill,
Easiest method might be to add an LED. Auto Zone and most parts stores have them with bezels so they will snap into a properly sized hole in the console panel.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 12:01:24 AM »
Yup, I use economy only on the flats; when around town or in the hills (nothing but hills around here) I change modes, messs earlier and I can keep more speed up the grade. One thing, the tranny doesn't want to shift to 6th at legal speed here in Ca when towing-55-so I have to get up to 60 or so, then it'll settle in nicely. Thanks all!
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 07:24:51 AM »
I’ve often wished they’d angled the tranny pad, and for that matter the entire driver’s-left console, at 30 degrees toward the driver.  It would be plain old good “human engineering”, as we learned in college psychology class.  In some driving environs, sun glare/sunglasses, nighttime, high-concentration situations, etc., it can be harder to quickly zero in on anything on that console. 

I’ve often thought if I was ever ambitious enough I’d build a cherry escutcheon that fit between the console panel and its base, and that angled it to actually face the driver rather than straight up.  Tilting the tranny pad back would help (on our coach it is up forward on the console).   It would certainly help Bill see the tranny plate.  I know how he feels... I often have to stretch forward over the wheel and to the left to verify the mode, if only briefly breaking my road concentration;  it’s annoying, especially for someone like me that was taught significant road awareness and doesn’t like taking their eyes anywhere else longer than a second.  When we’ve been home bound for years, it’s a bit stressful also until I’ve rememorized the left rocker switch configuration and can just feel my way to the ones I want.

In factory program, the tranny goes to 6th at 62mph and back to 5th at 57.  Given that slight hills can kick you down to 5th easily, going to 62 and then backing off to cruise at 60 in flat country is a good way to max mileage.  We once went from Portland to Twin Falls (600 miles) and still had plenty of fuel where I usually have to fill up before that.  It worked out to nearly 10mpg.  Using econo mode and cruise judiciously on the flats helped, but I think the good luck of a tailwind most of the trip certainly factored in, just as a headwind can ruin mileage.  I got that mileage in spite of speeding up in Idaho to match traffic flow there.

Sorry, a mileage rehash isn’t addressing Bill’s lighting question.  Maybe he has a weak ground in the backlight circuit, and a cleaning or connection snug is all that’s needed.

Joel
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 08:44:38 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2019, 02:35:19 PM »
   For those who have a Silverleaf, the display in the upper right hand corner will state MODE ON when the economy button is on at the the shifter. Lot easier to see than the LED on the shifter panel. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6