Author Topic: Shaw Direct in the USA  (Read 4052 times)

Dwight Wilson

• BAC Member
Shaw Direct in the USA
« on: October 06, 2019, 04:56:43 PM »
Hi Folks,
 This is a message to Canadians travelling in the USA that are using Shaw Direct and Wineguard Travler dishes. There have been changes with the Shaw channel lineups and I am wondering if we can still receive service south of the Canadian border?
Can anyone advise whether or not they are still receiving a signal on 111 and 107?
Thanks for any comments. We are heading south.
Dwight Wilson
Dwight Wilson
Calgary, Alberta
05 Patriot Thunder C13 Cat

Harvey Ziegler

• BAC Member
Re: Shaw Direct in the USA
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 11:25:28 PM »
Hi Dwight. We will be heading South later this winter but not until January. Being that all the channels are not high definition I have a feeling that we may not get very many if any once we are south of about Helena Montana. Also the Winegard Traveller needs to have an
upgrade and some new hardware to lock onto the satelite. This hardware is on backorder and no date that it will be available.
There is a work around that can be done to get some reception that requires you to watch the signal strenght on your TV and then
turning the controller off just as you see the signal strength reach its highest signal level.
Have not talked to anyone that has already headed South.

Harvey & Marilyn Ziegler
2004 Monterey  Newport
350 HP Cummins ISC
2010 Jeep Wrangler
The following users thanked this post: Bob Stone

Jeff Watt

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 08:39:33 PM »
Dwight,

Glad to hear you and the coach are well and will be heading south.

All I can do is summarize our experience in spring 2019 in the Rio Grande Valley and what I suspect maybe in store for this coming winter.

For spring 2019, because a number of channels were on different satellites, we noticed some changes from spring 2018. For example CTV news was ch94 and CBC news ch96, BNN 191 and others were not available and could only be viewed on low def channels. At the same time, NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX etc that were 58+/- were viewable in HD.

Now that Shaw has eliminated all low def channels, and those channels in the 50s are now migrated to the 100s, Likely to the satellite that carried 96,94, 191 etc., Consequently I suspect they won’t be available as well. We can hope.

So my gut thought is not much will work once we get south of ~35-40 degrees latitude - S. Ontario is ~42 so Shaw has to be transmitting past that latitude.

I’m using the old, discontinued ESS (Explorer Satellite System) and while it still functions, the auto GPS doesn’t work after I installed the new LNB required by Shaw. So I have to do it semi-auto by putting it on a channel I know works and then wait to see signal strength on the tv. Of course if no channels work then I’ll be out of luck - I do have the coordinates for when i was in texas, so can try to find a signal when I get there. A few other places as well.

If Shaw doesn’t work, I guess we’ll use streaming - CTV, GLOBAL, BNN, can’t stream CBC. On the tv and Apple TV I can stream lots of channels, and we have unlimited band width in our park. Get to use local TV also - even Mexican channels, but my Spanish isn’t good.

Jeff

Paul Champagne

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2019, 04:17:34 PM »
Hi Dwight

Yes you can still get all the same channels as before when you install the upgrade kit from Winegard you will have to refresh your receivers with Shaw as it works fine here in Southern Californis

Good luck

Paul 2006 Thunder
2006 Patriot Thunder
C13 525 hp
The following users thanked this post: Harvey Ziegler

Dwight Wilson

• BAC Member
Re: Shaw Direct in the USA Update
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 08:52:32 PM »
Update, I am now in San Diego and have the dish working well. As previously mentioned you need to tune to a new HD channel. (For instance 198 is CTV Calgary), watch the signal levels until you get a decent signal , ie (80db or better) as the dish is searching then push the power and select buttons simultaneously to shut down the satellite interface . We no longer get Global Calgary but CTV Calgary on Channel 198, and Global Vancouver on 212 works fine and most of our regular channels are still available. I have ordered the upgrade ($350.00 US) and expect to receive it in a couple of weeks. A friend has already received the kit in Kelowna and has installed the upgrade successfully. The work around seems to solve the situation in the meantime so all is good. I plan to install it myself and there is a youtube video explaining the process. Sorry to see the minus temps in Calgary on this morning's news.  +25C here today in sunny San Diego.
Dwight Wilson
Calgary, Alberta

Jeff Watt

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2019, 05:07:47 PM »
Paul, Dwight,

I assume when you mention to update the receivers they are updated to show all the channels that have been moved, I.e, CBC news channel was 94 and is now 255? Everything below 100 is gone.

I’m on western feed so I hope that I’ll see the same channels available as you are seeing.

My old ESS system lost its auto location via gps when the different LNB was installed. So now I have to hunt semi-auto to locate the channels.

Good news as I expected that none will be available. I won’t be testing until January so hopefully still running then.

Jeff

Bob Stone

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2019, 07:14:41 AM »
Information I received today from a vender in Quartzsite regarding the Winegard Trav'ler (Shaw)
If the apparatus is not more than two years old it should work fine.
The upgrade involves switching out the old 'brain' for a new one to accommodate the new satellite.
The approximate cost is $650. US which includes, parts, installation labour and taxes.
Bob Stone
'05 Monterey Laguna IV  Cat C-9

Dwight Wilson

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2019, 06:08:44 PM »
A friend of mine did the upgrade himself and it wasn't particularly difficult. He was quoted $1,200.00 in Kelowna BC! He said it took him a couple of hours but of course that included going up/down the ladder several times to retrieve the tools etc that he forgot or misplaced. I suspect I will ask my wife to be available beside my tool box when I climb up. He also spent some time cleaning and lubricating the assembly.
There is no need to update the receivers if they are compatible.
I will post my experience once I complete the install.
Dwight Wilson
Calgary, Alberta

Dwight Wilson

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2019, 12:32:18 AM »
I received the update kit yesterday and installed it this afternoon. It went well and the instructions were easy to follow and very accurate. The update comes with a new controller module in the coach and new electronics module that must be installed in the the dish assembly on the roof. This requires removing the dish then removing the turret assembly to replace the electronics. There is no soldering or connectors required, just unplugging wires and connectors. I would order a new seal along with the kit just in case the old one gets damaged when removing the hardware from the mounting plate on the roof. Fortunately mine was in decent condition. Once completed the dish found 111 very quickly and locked on automatically.
Cost was $350.00 US,  direct from Winegard.  Part number is SK-73UP
Good luck and be safe up there!

Dwight Wilson
Calgary, Alberta