Author Topic: Remove pilot and co-pilot chairs  (Read 3830 times)

George Harwell

Remove pilot and co-pilot chairs
« on: October 06, 2019, 05:13:50 PM »
Getting ready to have the seats reupholstered so figured it would be wise to solicit tips, suggestions, do’s and don’ts that may be involved with the seat removal. The 03 Monterey has Flexsteel ultra leather power seats so want to be sure I only disassemble the correct nuts or bolts. Thanks in advance.

Rick Daniels

• BAC Member
Re: Remove pilot and co-pilot chairs
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 05:56:34 PM »
on my '99 Marquis, I removed the seats simply removing the four nuts on each seat holding the seat pedestal to the floor.  The bolts or studs were mounted secure in the floor.  My seat belts were not anchored to the floor but self contained in the seat.  Two wires led to each seat that I cut and put quick connectors on for easier removal and re-installation.  Once the nuts are off and the wiring disconnected the seats lifted off the studs.  I dont know how the studs are anchored to the floor but they seem to be somewhat permanently mounted.  The arms came off by rotating them to the rear and pulling out. Seats are awkward and heavy.  Get some help.
1999 Beaver Marquis Jasper 40' Cat C-12
2020 Chev 1500 High Country
Three Forks, Montana
"Where the Missouri River Begins"

Rick Daniels

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 06:03:23 PM »
I might add that once I had the seats removed from the floor, I plugged the electric back in and reclined the seats to make it easier to get out the door.  Remove the co-pilot seat from the coach prior to removing the pilot seat.  I learned that the hard way. 
1999 Beaver Marquis Jasper 40' Cat C-12
2020 Chev 1500 High Country
Three Forks, Montana
"Where the Missouri River Begins"

Mike Shumack

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 07:02:29 PM »
I removed my co-pilot seat to lay it over on its back so I could fix a broken electrical connector inside the seat. There were five bolts (3/4" hex I believe) - but boy is that seat HEAVY. It must weigh 200 pounds. No way I could ever get that out of the coach by myself.
Good luck

George Harwell

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2019, 10:33:23 PM »
Thanks Rick and Mike for your input. Learning from experienced guys is greatly appreciated. Got a big weight lifting kid next door to help me get it out the door. Thanks again and enjoy your day.

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 01:09:29 AM »
Last year I removed the seats from our 2004 Thunder so they could be redone. I removed them by unbolting them from the floor pedestal and all. The others were right, they are HEAVY! When I installed them, I separated them from the pedestal and installed the pedestal first then the seat. Much easier. Before you do it that way you must move the seat either back or forward to get to that set of bolts, then move it the other way to get the remaining bolts. If I ever do it again I will leave the pedestal mounted and just remove the seat. Marty
The following users thanked this post: Bob Stone

George Harwell

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 04:16:18 PM »
Thanks Marty & Susie, the seat is in my car ready to go to the shop. Raised the seat full height for better access to the 4 bolts mounting it to the pedestal. Disconnected the swivel control and pulled it through then removed the seat adjustment switches, separated the wire connector and pulled it clear of the seat. Removed 2  3/4 bolts on each side and it came off. Only took about 30 minutes thanks to you guys. Now I have to apply my new found skills to the Captains chair.