Author Topic: Low DC output voltage to Dometic 4310 Electronic Toilet  (Read 2753 times)

Gary Donges

• BAC Member
Low DC output voltage to Dometic 4310 Electronic Toilet
« on: October 25, 2019, 05:38:19 AM »
Just replaced my failed 2006 Magnum Opus electronic toilet with a new and updated Dometic  4310 electronic toilet. Upon final hook up and test, discovered the electric flush and fill isn’t working. I checked the power supply wiring to the toilet, read just 11.6VDC. Started the coach and VDC increased to 12.10. Reconnected to toilet, still doesn’t work. Connected my 12VDC battery charger with an output that read around 13.6VDC to the toilet and voila, it works. Unfortunately i don’t possess an amp meter. I’m thinking there may be something dragging down the DC voltage and/or amperage between it’s source and it’s termination in the bathroom, bad or loose connection or ? However, I haven’t been able to track down the origin of the insulated 14AWG red and white pair of wires providing the power to feed the electronic toilet mechanism. Another conundrum, the coach is plugged in to 50A AC and the inverter is showing coach batteries at full charge. I don’t know if the toilet power source is on the coach or chassis side. Any advice on where these power wires originate would be greatly appreciated.

The heck of it is, I’m wondering if I bought a new $600 toilet and may find the reason the old isn’t working is due to a power supply issue. Ugh.
Gary Donges
Beaver Patriot Thunder Lexington IV 2006 40ft. (2017-    )
C13 Cat
Lake Almanor, CA

Lee Welbanks

Re: Low DC output voltage to Dometic 4310 Electronic Toilet
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 12:59:43 PM »
Gary,  I have the electrical  wiring book for the 06 Patriot Thunder and I don't remember seeing a diagram for the toilet wiring. When you got the new toilet did it come with a new switch and wiring? When I did mine a few years ago it came with new wiring but I did not use it. Test the output through the switch to see if that could be the problem, the switch contacts could be dirty or corroded. 11 volts static indicates that you have a complete circuit, can you connect you mutli meter on the + side to the toilet to grd and see what voltage you get when you hit the switch. 11 volts should be enough for the toilet to work.
That would be a real bummer if it turned out to be the switch and not the board in the old toilet, well trust me the old one was going to fail its just when, mine crapped out years ago.
The following users thanked this post: Gary Donges

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 02:07:47 PM »
   Lee, interesting choice of words, ha ha "crapped out" I could never figure out why you need a PC board in a toilet to make it flush. I agree about the inevitable failure so all is not lost. I am pretty sure the fuse or circuit breaker is located in the same area as the multiplex controllers are located. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2019, 02:19:05 PM »
The Magnum Opus toilet has two toggle switches.  One toggle is a three-position switch for setting the water level (low-medium-high) in the toilet after flushing.  The other toggle is a two-position switch for daily operation and service.  When dry camping, I set the water level toggle to low.  When using FHUs, I set it to high.  So, it's a pretty complex machine with several different programmable functions and lots to go wrong.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Mike Shumack

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2019, 02:28:34 PM »
JI checked the power supply wiring to the toilet, read just 11.6VDC. Started the coach and VDC increased to 12.10. Reconnected to toilet, still doesn’t work. Connected my 12VDC battery charger with an output that read around 13.6VDC to the toilet and voila, it works.

According to the Dometic manual, the toilet only needs 12V to operate. I would call Dometic and ask what the minimum voltage requirement is before spending too much time chasing wires. I suspect you have a defective product as it wont work on 12.1VDC. Your not going to have 13+ volts with the engine off and not plugged in (e.g. Bondocking). It needs to work at 12V.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2019, 02:49:55 PM »
The wiring diagram show that that the toilet power comes off fuse F10 in the 12VDC Fuse Panel. You can check the voltage at the fuse and then compare to the voltage at the toilet wires to see if there is any voltage drop.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2019, 04:50:40 PM »
Gary,
Suggest you check the ground connection. Try running a wire from a known good ground to the toilet for testing purposes.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Gary Donges

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2019, 05:35:46 AM »
Thanks to all for your valuable problem solving input. Using your collective knowledge I was able to quickly solve the low voltage problem, complete the new toilet installation and enjoy the satisfaction of keeping "The Patriot" tip top.

It may be worthwhile to share the events leading up to buying, then DIY installing the new toilet. The factory original Dometic Magnum Opus was taking a couple of clicks on the rocker switch to get it to flush. The water fill was also working intermittently, but all worked well enough for months after first symptoms until one day all functions quit. I flipped toggle switches on the ridiculous circuit board and it came back to life for a few days before dying again. Lights were on and blinking on the circuit board, I could hear things clicking when attempting to activate flush or fill but it was dead. I called Dometic customer service, the CSR guided me through a few tests including a DC voltage (which read about 11.6VDC). The voltage reading raised no red flags for her and she proclaimed the circuit board kaput and obsolete. She told me their newer Dometic 4300 series is the new and improved replacement and explained it functioned much the same as the Magnum and they nixed the troublesome circuit board. She also told me a retailer, whom she would not name, had purchased a large volume of the 4300 series and was reselling them at a discounted price. With a little detective work I found it was Camping World. Camping World makes no mention of Dometic 4300 series in their description but instead refer to it as a Sealand Concerto P/N 26781, selling online for about $525.00 delivered after a 15% promo discount. It is indeed the Dometic 4310 that I received. I searched online and made some calls looking for a better deal but instead found the lowest price from other suppliers to be starting at $1000.00 min. plus tax and freight.

Now, the new replacement install. You already know how that started out for me, then I sought help through our wonderful BAC Technical Forum.  Note that during every phase of my toilet odyssey the coach was and is connected to 50A 220VAC. With your guidance I went right to the toilet fuse on the 12VDC panel located in the bedroom closet.  It's in position F10 as some of you advised. The ATC 10A fuse had contacts that allowed access while the fuse remained installed. On one side of the fuse, VDC read 11.6, the other read 13.XX. I pulled the fuse and tested across the blades, my DMM read a minute level of resistance instead of straight through continuity. I replaced the fuse with a new 10A ATC, the voltage on both sides of the fuse went to 13.6VDC.  I went to the toilet, checked the input voltage, it was then 13.6VDC. Out of curiosity, I re-checked the original ATC 10A fuse. It read open that time. Apparently the filament was near failure and my handling finished it off. The new toilet functions perfectly and the physical design is enhanced.

Murphy's law came into play and remained in effect until I reached out to the BAC Technical forum. Naturally the failure accord 2100 miles from home in a rural area. We were, at least, in a comfortable RV park. We had the new toilet shipped to a nearby relatives house and it arrived freight damaged, the ceramic bowl broken into about 12 pieces. They ran out of stock but were expecting more in about a week. After 7 weeks traveling, we needed to be heading back home so had the replacement shipped to California. Traveling the 2K plus miles home with a non functioning toilet was inconvenient but not insurmountable thanks to a couple stops at Walmart for black tank de-stink. Toilet arrived a few days after we did, all in one piece.

As I finish my tale it occurred to me I have not tried my fancy new toilet with the coach unplugged and presumably operating at a lower voltage. Unless you hear from me otherwise, I am expecting all to go well. Thanks again for your help, I may have still been scratching my head were it not for all of your responses.
Gary Donges
Beaver Patriot Thunder Lexington IV 2006 40ft. (2017-    )
C13 Cat
Lake Almanor, CA
The following users thanked this post: Paul Meehan

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2019, 02:44:43 PM »
Gary, Thanks for the great write up, in all my days I have never had or heard of a fuse doing as you discribe. I wonder what Murphy's # that one is? Now I add that one to the troubleshooting group.