Author Topic: Oil sample report/reman engine  (Read 2492 times)

Rick Daniels

• BAC Member
Oil sample report/reman engine
« on: October 07, 2019, 03:54:20 PM »
When I purchased my beaver I received information at time of purchase that for some reason the engine was replaced by the previous owner(s) with a Cat re-manufactured C-12 engine.  Documents obtained from Cat at the time of my purchase indicate the reman date was 4/19/04.  obviously the installation date was sometime after that but there are no records of when that happened.  My silverleaf (VMS II) now indicates that mileage is approx. 38,000 miles.  The odometer now reads aprrox. 115,000 miles.  Question #1- Is it safe to assume that the engine was replaced at approx 77,000 miles?  Question #2 - I have been told by silverleaf and others that the silverleaf would have been zeroed when the engine was replaced. Does that sound reasonable?  Question #3 - Are the results of the oil sample report from Blackstone Labs consistent with an engine with approx 38,000 miles (see attached)?  Question #4 - Any thing in the oil sample report that a knowledgeable Cat mechanic would be concerned about?
1999 Beaver Marquis Jasper 40' Cat C-12
2020 Chev 1500 High Country
Three Forks, Montana
"Where the Missouri River Begins"

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: Oil sample report/reman engine
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 04:05:34 PM »
  Rick, Seems like Dave Atherton should be able to retrieve that info from the ECM if you get him the Serial #.   Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Rick Daniels

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 04:46:59 PM »
Thanks Fred.  Dave researched my engine history a couple of years ago but I did not address the mileage and silverleaf issue with him at that time.  Perhaps he will read my post and respond.  I will send my oil report directly to him.
1999 Beaver Marquis Jasper 40' Cat C-12
2020 Chev 1500 High Country
Three Forks, Montana
"Where the Missouri River Begins"

Mike Shumack

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 12:03:11 AM »
The oil analysis looks fine. The comments from Blackstone state that is fine. Your Iron level is the same as mine was on my last test.
What is your concern?

Just to add - in my analysis it was the copper that was high (failing oil cooler?) I drove about 2500 miles last month and just sent in a new oil sample. If copper is still high then I'll come up with a plan.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 11:07:43 AM by Mike Shumack »