Author Topic: Door Latch problem  (Read 5039 times)

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
Door Latch problem
« on: October 08, 2019, 08:46:05 PM »
Picture one is my door latch stud in the position I think it should be in. I have never been able to get both sides of the flange to be inside the "trough" on the door. You can see evidence of me tapping on it to see if it would go in. I'm not even sure its supposed to be in there. However, because its NOT in there, picture two shows what it looks like after a few times opening and closing the door. The result is the door doesn't close as it should. Picture three shows the components of this part. The stud goes through a sleeve on the back of the flange, and there is a ribbed washer over the threads. Pictures four and five show the components ready to thread into a sort of "floating nut" that is inside the door. Picture seven shows how the flange moves away from center when I try to tighten the door stud. The floating nut inside actually moves, and moves the flange. I have tried several methods to keep the flange centered. Holding it with vice grips (doesn't work well) while having a socket on the head of the stud. I assume the ribbed washer is for the purpose of holding it once it was tightened. I tried a lock washer, but the ones that fit over the threads are two thick for me to get the threads started in the nut. I tried a star type washer, no joy.

I'm at a loss. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to permanently tighten this bolt?

Edit: Dang iPhone pics always show sideways. Sorry.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Mike Shumack

Re: Door Latch problem
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 09:12:05 PM »
The base plate/washer should fit flush against the frame. Maybe someone replaced that striker bolt with the wrong part.
Does the upper striker bolt sit flush/flat?

Is the base plate/washer too wide to fit in the channel. If so, I would grind down one side of it so it sits flat inside that frame channel.
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 09:28:12 PM »
If I recall, I had a locksmith come out to the MH when we were in Newport Or. a couple of years ago. In my case, the striker bolt would not reach far enough into the door latch, the locksmith put a washer under the striker bolt flange, in my case the flange thus sits proud of the door frame. Works great and striker bolt is tight. No problems since.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 09:33:01 PM »

Does the upper striker bolt sit flush/flat?  What is the upper striker bolt? Is it in my pictures?

Is the base plate/washer too wide to fit in the channel. If so, I would grind down one side of it so it sits flat inside that frame channel. Wow! Great idea! I can't believe I didn't think of that!
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 10:37:05 PM »
As said before try to grind it flush, if it still wants to move I would drill and tap a counter sunk screw through the washer and into the frame to keep it from turning.  I think grinding it will be sufficient though.
Carl

98 Beaver Patriot Savannah
330 hp Cat 3126

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2019, 11:16:34 PM »
Okay, stupid me.  :-[  There IS another striker and bolt up high as Mike Shumack suggested. I just never paid any attention to that one, because its straight up and down and bolted tight.

Closer inspection reveals there is no channel, on the top or bottom for that flange to fit in to. It is not as wide as the door end. And the door end is flat as a board.

Even if I grind it down, which is unlikely now, there is no reason, I still need a way to tighten it like the one on top so it doesn't move. Perhaps a hole on the top and bottom of that flange, as suggested by Carl, that I could run a self tapping metal screw in to?
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Mike Shumack

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2019, 11:18:03 PM »
Stan, do you have an upper and lower latch mechanism on your coach (I thought all the coaches did)?

On my Patriot there are two of those striker bolts (two latches). They look to be identical items. The upper latch is near where the door starts to angle inwards (maybe three feet down from the top of door opening).

The adjusting instructions for my coach describe how to adjust the "upper" and "lower" latches Striker bolts).

Note in the fifth bullet point - that the bolt should be able to move up/down some after it is tightened. It should not be so tight that it can't move.

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2019, 11:51:18 PM »
   Stan, If your model door is the one I think it is, it is designed to have what is known as "floating" striker bolts. When they are adjusted correctly they should have the correct depth so the entry door is flush in the jamb opening. The reason for the floating striker bolts is because the Entry door opening is moving like a parallelogram. There is lots of dynamics going on forward of the front wheel especially when you use leveling jacks and or air bags. As the door is moving up or down inside of the jamb opening, it has to center the strikers in the lock opening as it is closing. It will make you crazy if you don't know how it is engineered. Make sure the strikers are out far enough so the 5/8" hex bolt head is going into the lock assembly. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2019, 12:53:27 AM »
You're right about that, Fred. If you've ever driven on a Miami freeway, there is A LOT of dynamics going on forward of the front wheel!  ;D

I guess, I will just leave well enough alone, and adjust it from time to time when the door gets cranky.
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

Bob Stone

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2019, 06:22:39 AM »
The last time I did an adjustment on those latches I put a drop of Loctite on the bolt threads just to help keep the pin from jiggling loose.
Bob Stone
'05 Monterey Laguna IV  Cat C-9

D. Wendal Attig

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2019, 05:06:38 PM »
To your original post as it relates to no room for lock washers: Have you tried a nut with the self-locking nylon insert? If not, it might provide the solution you need. Just a thought.

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2019, 06:53:07 PM »
The nut is inside the door frame. Its attached (I think) to the floating mechanism that Fred Brooks mentioned above.
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad