Author Topic: 06 Patriot Thunder Air Suspension  (Read 2602 times)

Lee Welbanks

06 Patriot Thunder Air Suspension
« on: December 20, 2019, 11:08:39 PM »
I have been chasing a air leak on the front right side for awhile, so yesterday I decided to get serious and find the problem. Both of the Nason air switches had small leaks so removed them and took them apart and re-sealed and adjusted to 20 psig, re-installed aired up the coach and the right front still saged down pretty fast. One of the solenoid valves had a little fuzzer leak so I replace the O-Rings on them, front still saged down. Isolated the right side air springs, pressured them up, sprayed everything with leak solution no leaks on any of the tubing or surge tanks or 3/4" hoses to the air springs, sprayed the air springs but you can only see one side of each bag.
Today I went about removing both air springs, they (Monaco) did not make it easy to get at these, you don't have any room to use a 1 1/4" wrench on the air fitting on top of the bag, I have a wrench I cut off to fit then hit the end with a sledge hammer to brake the fitting loose. Another thing the brains did was the hole in the top plate is not large enough for the 3/4 fitting to drop through so you have to get it out also and it was harder than the hose fitting, had to weld up a 1 1/8 box wrench and a 3' piece of pipe to get it loose. The front rear one was pretty easy as I cut and opening in the wall of the fuel bay that's right behind the air spring, it was still a real job, not for the faint of heart trust me. The folks at Monaco have never heard of pipe dope or anti seize for bolts and fittings.
Rigged up and tested both bags under wate in a trash can and they both have leaks, one out the bottom and the other right out the side. Order two new Firestone air springs, will take a week of so the get them $240 each free shipping.
The Firestone part number is W01-358-8897 for the front springs  and the rear spring are # W01-358-9376
These will go back in a lot easier than the job of removing them.
I will add move when I get the air springs and have them back in the coach. Merry Christmas to all.
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, LaMonte Monnell, Scott Shearer

Lee Welbanks

Re: 06 Patriot Thunder Air Suspension
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 04:04:53 AM »
Ok, received the new Firestone Airide springs on Wed, had already ground out the fitting holes in the top plates on the coach so the bags can be installed with the JIC fittings in them. Bags went back in pretty easy, of course the front one was the hardest because you have zero room and you cannot see the top bolts or the 3/4" JIC fitting. Hooked up my air compressor to the test lines and aired up the right side, guess what? Still have a slight leak, not near as bad as before but they are leaking down. Back to the spray bottle and I finally found the leak, it was on the front 3/4" hose from the tank to the top of the air spring about 6"s from the end of the hose, had to use a mirror and light to finally see this leak, I never saw it before as I had never sprayed enough fluid that far up the hose. Monaco did not use a very good grade of hose for these hoses. Ordered a new 5' hose from McMaster-Carr $65+shipping, it is 3k psi hydraulic hose and will last forever.
Monaco should have used rubber hydraulic hose instead of this crap.
Should get the new hose by Wed, hope that takes care of the leaks.
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett, Jerry Carr, Stan Simpson

Lee Welbanks

Re: 06 Patriot Thunder Air Suspension
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 02:55:03 PM »
Received the 3/4" hose from McMaster-Carr last week really great quality piece, not like the crap Monaco used. Got under there and got the hose installed this time with Oatey PTFE pipe dope on the fittings. Actually went in pretty easy, I still had the two right side bags and surge tank isolated so I aired them up to 80 psi and locked in for a hold test. One hour later no pressure drop so I put the HWH manifold back together this time with brass DOT compression air brake fittings I also lowered the manifold down about 6" so a person could actually work on it if needed in the future.
Fired up the coach aired everything up and raised the coach all the way up and shut it off, measured all four wheel wells and let it sit for four hours, did not drop a inch. Set it in travel mode and it has been sitting there for three days without dropping at all. Lost the air pressure in the coach so I have more leaks to root out, I know the leak is in the rear as there is nothing leaking in the front.
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley