Author Topic: Fuel Filters  (Read 5319 times)

Dave Tanchak

Fuel Filters
« on: May 08, 2011, 10:14:17 PM »
Hi all!
I just changed both fuel filters on my 1998 Beaver Contessa with the CAT engine. I didn't have enough clean fuel to fill the new filters....sooo.. I started up the engine and it ran great for about a minute... now it won't start...   :'(  there is a primer pump on top of one of the filter housings, I pumped that until it got resistance but still no go!   Are there bleed valves on the injector pump?  
Thanks
Dave.

Tom and Pat Fudale

Re: Fuel Filters
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 10:35:04 PM »
Loosen the top filter and pump the primer until fuel leaks out of the top filter and tighten.  It should now start.

Edward Buker

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 12:33:29 AM »
There should be a bleed plug on the primer pump housing. You should back that out until it will allow air and fuel to escape while pumping the primer pump. Close it off when air free fuel escapes. That is usually the pre filter. If the second filter (final filter) follows the one with the pump on it and it usually does, you should open the bleed valve on that filter housing and continue to pump until all the air is out of the second filter, then close it off. You can try and crank for 10 or 15 seconds and wait a couple of minutes and try again. It may help to pause before you crank the engine with the key on, in case there is an electric fuel pump in the system that may help you clear some air, and send it back to the tank via the return line. If it does not fire up after several tries you should probably call the local Cat dealer and see what they advise as a procedure to clear the air. If someone recommends using ether, be sure it is someone who is very knowledgeable about the procedure specific to your engine and has done this procedure before. In general the use of ether is not recommended.

As an aside you should not fill the filters with fuel. That will allow unfiltered fuel to reach the pump and injectors which have very precise tolerances. Any particles in the fuel stream that reaches them wears the surfaces. The procedure should be to replace the filters and then prime using the pump until all the air clears in both filters and then start the engine. That only allows filtered fuel to reach the engine. Hope this helps.

Later Ed

Dave Tanchak

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 01:53:35 AM »
Thanks to all who replied!
I went out and pumped the primer a half dozen times or so and it started right up!!...    another learning curve...

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 03:34:25 AM »
Dave,
Your 3126 has an intake manifold preheater, so never use either to start your engine, because of the possibility of an intake explosion that could do serious damage to your engine.

Gerald

Edward Buker

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 05:13:30 AM »
Dave,

Great news.....looks like some luck was headed your way on Mother's Day. We are all on a learning curve, some days these Beavers really put us to the test.

We have some dear friends who grew up in Kelowna, B.C. in the 50s. They now live in Vermont. Great folks with many stories about growing up in B.C.  Beautiful country....

later Ed