Author Topic: Aladdin system  (Read 6565 times)

Tom Webber

• BAC Member
Aladdin system
« on: October 17, 2019, 02:56:28 AM »
Has anyone not replaced their Aladdin system when It stopped working.  Silverleaf is an option for a replacement system are there others?  My Aladdin system was interfering with the Allison Transmission, Bendix ABS system and CAT engine communicating with each other correctly. Once the Aladdin system was disconnected the other items listed above started working as designed.  I do not travel many miles a year and never fully utilized the Aladdin system so I was wondering if I should just leave it disconnected or bite the bullet for the cost of a Silverleaf system.
06 Monterey
CAT 350HP C9

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Aladdin system
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 03:23:40 AM »
Our coach has both an Aladdin and Silverleaf.  The Aladdin screen is on the dash - left side, and the Silverleaf screen is on the dash - right side.  Many of the reporting functions are duplicated, that is, I can see engine and transmission statistics, and screenshots from the three cameras on either device.  I don't know but assume the Aladdin came originally on the coach and the Silverleaf was installed by one of two prior owners of this coach.

The Silverleaf has a greater selection of engine statistics and interfaces well with the Pressure Pro TPMS.  The water and waste tank statistics have been relocated from the Aladdin to the Silverleaf.  It's coming soon - perhaps in a few years - that the Aladdin screen will be so dim as to render it unreadable.  The Silverleaf screen is beautifully bright and colorful... easily readable on the brightest days.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Mike Shumack

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 10:44:56 AM »
Our coach has both an Aladdin and Silverleaf.  The Aladdin screen is on the dash - left side, and the Silverleaf screen is on the dash - right side.  Many of the reporting functions are duplicated, that   It's coming soon - perhaps in a few years - that the Aladdin screen will be so dim as to render it unreadable.  The Silverleaf screen is beautifully bright and colorful... easily readable on the brightest days.

I'm sure you know this but … The screen that displays the Aladdin info, is not an "Aladdin product". When it goes dim/bad you can just install a new display unit. As long as the Aladdin is reading and send sending the information to the video out cable of the Aladdin VCM there is no need to replace it.

Roy C Tyler

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 02:41:52 PM »
Although my Aladdin system still works and that is what I use, I bought Bluefire for Motorhomes ( https://bluefire-llc.com/home.html ) and it works well on my iPad.  It plugs into the socket under the dash and feeds the iPad via bluetooth. It is similar to the Silverleaf.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 03:05:16 PM »
I added the ScanGauge display to my coach. It shows a few engine parameters the Aladdin doesn't display (like engine boost, intake air temp, etc.) and can read engine fault codes.

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 04:05:50 PM »
   Hi Tom, my customers have quizzed me several times about these interactive systems that interface with the engine ECM. (electronic control module). They are all excellent for additional information especially when troubleshooting an issue. I use my Silverleaf when hill climbing because I trust the info for decision making. I have found that the original dash gauges are for entertainment value only. You still have to be cautious about distraction as you monitor engine info. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6
The following users thanked this post: Andrew Shoen

Mike Shumack

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2019, 05:42:11 PM »
My Aladdin system was interfering with the Allison Transmission, Bendix ABS system and CAT engine communicating with each other correctly.

Once the Aladdin system was disconnected the other items listed above started working as designed.

That's the first time I've heard of a problem with the Aladdin causing a problem with the engine/trans. These Aladdin systems are installed on a lot of coaches, if this was a normal/typical fault I think there would be a lot of posts on it by now.

I guess there was a problem in the Aladdin "internal electronics" on yours.

Perhaps you could just disconnect the wires from the "Engine/trans bus" to the Aladdin and then see if the Aladdin works normally, if it does you could then use the Aladdin to monitor all the other coach functions (tank levels, electrical status, etc.).

Scott Shearer

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2019, 08:31:49 PM »
Tom,

It would be interesting to know what symptoms you were experiencing with your coach and what you did to disable the Aladdin system.

On our coach, there are two Aladdin modules that communicate (directly or indirectly) with the ECU. One is the Aladdin J1939 Bridge, the other is the J1587 (engine data bus) connection at the Aladdin Video Control Module.

I had a Silver Leaf tech tell me that faulty Silver Leaf modules have interfered with the ECU, so it’s reasonable that an Aladdin module could do the same.

Scott
Scott & Susie Shearer
2006 Patriot Thunder
Lexington IV 40'
Cat C13
2015 JKU Hard Rock

Tom Webber

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2019, 12:47:28 AM »
In May my coach suffered a very close lightening strike. I had to replace the surge protector/transfer switch, Allison control module and shifter also the Bendix ABS Module. Everything at this time seemed to be working properly. Every person I worked with on getting these problems corrected thought there could be damage to the J1939 cable. On Sunday I went to move the coach and all the  problems with Allison Transmission and ABS reappeared. Even though the transmission did not show Neutral or Drive in the shifter the coach would still move. At this time it was moved approximately ninety miles to W.W. Williams (an Allison Transmission dealer) shop. When they disconnected the Aladin, I believe the whole Aladin system everything went back to working .normally. They said the connectors on the Aladin showed a lot of corrosion.
06 Monterey
CAT 350HP C9
The following users thanked this post: Scott Shearer

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2019, 02:00:02 AM »
Tom,
From what you are saying, my view would be to try and clean the cable connectors to see if that will help (but doubtful IMHO).  Dave Atherton has run into a  number of cases where the Aladdin or other data system corrupts the CAT ECU.  I suspect you've got a bad Aladdin (and possibly a Siverleaf in your future). But I wouldn't purchase any system until it was demonstrated to work in your coach.  Maybe set up an appt. to meet them at an FMCA rally as most are at the International Rallies, e.g Tucson, Syracuse, etc.
Good Luck, Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks, Scott Shearer

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2019, 02:42:02 PM »
    Tom, I am at the RMMA Rally at the Tucson fair grounds which is a FMCA sanctioned rally. Dave is having a seminar which I will be attending this afternoon. I will drill down on his experience with these systems and his recommendations. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Mike Shumack

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2019, 03:23:15 PM »
If there are concerns about the Aladdin or Siverleaf or ScanGaugeD units causing engine problems or ECM damage - how about the "CAT Information Display" (CAT ID)?
Or the "CAT Messenger"?

Are these current products? I'm not coming up with much Googling the names.

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2019, 02:15:27 PM »
   Great seminar from Dave especially about C9 engines. I asked him about the Aladdin and Silverleaf interface with the Caterpillar ECM and he states there are powered 12volt wires that are NOT fused attached to it. If there is some kind of failure within the Aladdin or Silverleaf it could damage the ECM. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Mike Shumack

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2019, 03:19:23 PM »
So, should we add a fuse?

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2019, 07:49:57 PM »
   I guess if you knew which wires to add the fuses, I just thought I would pass on what Dave stated. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV