Author Topic: Strange item on roof  (Read 5000 times)

Rocky Healey

• BAC Member
Strange item on roof
« on: October 19, 2019, 08:25:32 AM »
I was on my roof replacing a TV antenna[first time on roof] and noticed 2 strange brackets [one front and one rear] that had small round cup type things on the tops, they stick up about 8 inches and look like lighting rods but to small for that purpose.  Can anyone tell me what they are and purpose.  One has a small wire in the middle of it.
Thanks in advance.

Rocky Healey
2008 Patroit Thunder 45 ft
C-13
Rocky & Suzi Healey
2008 Patroit Thunder
C-13
45ft

Carol Moffett

Re: Strange item on roof
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 09:32:29 AM »
Hi Rocky! Welcome to the forum!
   The two things you are referring to are called “Anemometers” and they are the wind sensors for your big patio awnings! If they are working properly, with the awnings OUT, the anemometers sense the wind speed and, if the wind is too strong, bring the awnings IN automatically. Saving the awnings from damage! 😃 You should also have remote control for the awnings, also!
Hope this helps!
:^3=
Carol Moffett (better half of Keith)
Totally Gorgeous, 45ft 2007 Patriot Thunder "ZOLA"
CAT C-13
2006 Ford Explorer Ltd, as toad
  :^3=~

Bill Sprague

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2019, 03:35:04 PM »
A friend with a Monaco (similar to a Beaver) bent his awning and had to buy a new one.  The installer wired it backwards.  When the wind blew the awning went out!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2019, 01:06:04 AM »
Rocky, your description is somewhat indicating windcups alright, but also perhaps not (only one has a wire and the lightening rod notion).  Could you crawl back up and get us a photo of each to confirm?
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Rocky Healey

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2019, 05:23:28 AM »
I will be glad to climb back up there once it stops SNOWING and I will take a picture of both units.
Thanks for the info so far.

Rocky Healey
2008 Patroit Thunder 45 ft
C-13
Rocky & Suzi Healey
2008 Patroit Thunder
C-13
45ft

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2019, 02:09:28 PM »
    Bill is right. In 2008 I replaced an anemometer on a 2006 Signature and reversed the blue and black wires and watched the awning open as he drove off. Fortunately he stopped as I ran down the road chasing him. Not too funny. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Lonne Mays

Re: Anemometer wiring
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2019, 05:55:38 PM »
The prior owner to our 99 Contessa had the power connection to the Girard awning unhooked and taped off, and had been using it only by manually hand-cranking the awning in and out. When I reconnected the awning power, everything tested out and appeared to be working normally, so I was wondering why the prior owner would have unhooked the system. I later found out why: I determined that some earlier service technician had incorrectly hooked up the wires from the wind sensor, and so when the wind was over 25mph, the awning would have automatically extended!!! I'm thinking the owner found this out the first time he was driving down the road and turned on his inverter (thus allowing the awning to have power), and his awning started to extend while he was driving down the road! Can you imagine?! No wonder he disabled the whole system; it probably terrified him!

Fortunately, I discovered this when the rig was plugged into shore power on a windy day, and came out and discovered the awning had opened up by itself! Upon inspecting the wiring color code from the sensor, and comparing it to the wiring diagram from Girard, I saw that the RV technician had swapped the red and black wires! Further inspection revealed stress/strain evidence in the fabric and mounting bracket indicating that this awning had probably opened while the prior owner had been driving!. I now have it hooked up correctly, but at my wife's suggestion I also installed a power on/off switch on the control panel so that we can drive confidently knowing that the awning can't auto-extend even if the control electronics get confused.

George Frudakis

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2019, 08:37:46 PM »
The best thing I have done to the coach was to install on/off switch as to not allow the awning to receive power until I want it to. Was in a service bay and the awning started to repel out.

Rocky Healey

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2019, 10:44:54 PM »
Thanks Carol, however there is NO spinner cups on the tops.  I have taken pictures of the parts that are left on the roof but am not able to put on the forum[I am tech challenged].  But with the helpful comments I think I have decided that I need to replace the entire mech. and wire up to the existing wiring.  Hopefully that will correct the problem,  I have also been very careful with the awning.  Again thanks for the assistance .

Rocky Healey
Rocky & Suzi Healey
2008 Patroit Thunder
C-13
45ft

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2019, 11:00:14 PM »
Rocky,
I've attached the photo posting guide. It's available, with a number of other guides in the Forum Assistance board. Contact me if you have any questions.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Rocky Healey

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2019, 06:07:41 AM »
I have tried to resize the thing on my roof
Rocky & Suzi Healey
2008 Patroit Thunder
C-13
45ft

Rocky Healey

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2019, 06:15:27 AM »
First I want to Thank  Joel and Steve for their assistance to get this picture on the forum.  Now down to business, the front unit has no wire just a cup and no cover, and the wire coming out of the units is attached to regular light wire then into the awning frame.   Not sure this type of wire is normal but can replace.  This is a Girard awning unit.  All thoughts will be appreciated.

Rocky Healey
2008 Patroit Thunder 45
C-13
Rocky & Suzi Healey
2008 Patroit Thunder
C-13
45ft

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2019, 02:02:54 PM »
   Rocky, the anemometer is missing the 3 "cup" spinner that is pressed onto that 1/8" shaft sticking up. That style has been discontinued. The new style have curved, flat fingers that are stronger. Not real sure if they will fit the old shaft or even available. If it were my coach, I would replace both anemometers with new Girard replacements. They are engineered to spin at 65mph mile after mile as you travel. Only issue is to be cognitive of low tree canopies in mature campgrounds.
    Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2019, 02:20:57 PM »
  Here is a picture of the new style.