Author Topic: Repairing mirror  (Read 3130 times)

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
Repairing mirror
« on: October 22, 2019, 01:12:39 AM »

I am not sure the images attached, but two img  boxes showed up so maybe.   Or they are to large and I am having a heck of a time getting them to resize on a chromebook.   I have what I believe to be a Ramco 1350? series mirror that has a crack in the mirror base where it attaches to the arm.  Has anyone ever welded up something like this?  I am not super worried about doing the welding, but I am not sure what it is made of and don't want to make matters worse.  It is not magnetic so I'm thinking maybe it is aluminum?  Some other alloy.  I have been looking for an excuse to get a spool gun of my own, but may have a more experienced welder do this.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

It has been this way since I have owned the MH, but eventually I would like to get this fixed.  Hopefully before it fails or falls off.  Thanks Carl
Carl

98 Beaver Patriot Savannah
330 hp Cat 3126

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
Re: Repairing mirror
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 01:21:28 AM »
pic
Carl

330 hp Cat 3126

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 02:17:10 AM »
    Carl, I believe it is a pot metal casting. Not much you can do as you can't weld it. Some have tried epoxy without much luck because of the extreme wind resistance. Fred 
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6
The following users thanked this post: Carl Boger

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 02:57:39 AM »
Carl,
I am with Fred in that I do not think that you can weld the broken mirror support (the cast piece that the mirror motors mount to). However if it is a Ramco mirror, you can contact their customer support to see if the mirror support is still a current production part and replace the broken part. I broke the mirror support on my current coach, and since the part was no longer made, I shipped my mirror head to Ramco and they rebuilt the mirror head with current production parts (new motors, glass, wiring, and support) for about $150. The only thing that they did not replace was the chrome plated plastic shell.

Gerald
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks, Carl Boger

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 04:56:14 AM »
I believe the part is zink alloy pot metal and has a melting point 700 to 900 degrees and it can be welding using the Tig process. One problem is that the metal basically turns liquid if you get to much heat into, the whole part will just go away. Also the plating on the surface probably has a much higher melting point than the base metal.
The following users thanked this post: Carl Boger

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2019, 01:12:05 PM »
Thanks everyone, I may have to back up and go to plan B.
Carl

330 hp Cat 3126

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2019, 05:15:18 PM »
Just to update the post I ended up calling Ramco support and ordered a new mirror head as they do not sell just the cover.  Not too bad at $255.00 and I am sure plus shipping.  It also ended up being a 7000 series which they were able to identify from the make and model of the Beaver Patriot. Now it "should be"  just plug and play to install.
 Thanks for everyone's help.
Carl

330 hp Cat 3126