Author Topic: Smelly hotwater  (Read 3127 times)

Laurence Mitchell

• BAC Member
Smelly hotwater
« on: December 27, 2019, 07:20:35 PM »
Happy holidays!

During our camping season this year, it was noted that the hot water had a rotten egg smell.  Previous owner had the unit winterized and we flushed it out prior to staring our camping season.  We have a hurricane system for heating the water.  What do I need to do to sanitize our unit?  I'm thinking of flushing our system at the point of the water pump with a solution of water with bleach in it, let set for a bit, flush with water and repeat.  Saying all of this, does the 2000 Marquis have a water heater?  I couldn't find any info.

TIA,  Mitch.
45' 2007 Marquis - Moonstone C15 Cat
2018-2020 40' 2000 Marquis - Tourmaline

Rick Daniels

• BAC Member
Re: Smelly hotwater
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2019, 09:48:09 PM »
My "99 Marquis has a Hurricane heater and a "Seaward" hot water heater.  When on shore power or generator, the hot water is heated by electricity.  When boondocking the hurricane heats hot water by way of a heat exchanger.  I suspect that the rotten egg smell is coming from the Seaward hot water heater and putting a new heating element in the unit will often get rid of the smell. 
1999 Beaver Marquis Jasper 40' Cat C-12
2020 Chev 1500 High Country
Three Forks, Montana
"Where the Missouri River Begins"

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 03:12:40 AM »
Laurence, here is food for thought and my opinion from my experience with Hydro Hot and Aqua Hot. I have had that same smell, at different campsites, this one but not the next one and so on. I believe it has to do with minerals in the water at various places. Counties and cities have different regulations for water purity. I am sure that water passes minimum regulations but some minerals that are safe, stink when heated to high temps. I arrived at this from smelling some of the hot springs at Yellowstone.
Marty

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 03:48:27 AM »
Here's one man's answer to the smelly water heater:

https://www.waterheaterrescue.com/Troubleshooting/stinky-water-in-hot-water-heaters.html

Had the stinky water with an Atwood RV water heater, no anode rod on Atwood units. I drained the WH and ran some vinegar then rinsed and sanitize with bleach solution. No more issues.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Jim Edwards

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2019, 05:12:23 AM »
We have well water at home that has a high iron content. We have had over the years had that rotten egg smell. (sulfur dioxide) In our case it is a bacteria that builds up after periods if disuse. A good dose of bleach will kill them and the water will return to not having a smell. So if the odor is in the supply water. Bleaching your coach may not protect you long.

Just a thought. 
Jim Edwards
2005 Monterey Laguna III, 40 ft Cat C9
2007 Country Coach Affinity 45 ft Cummins 600
15 Grand Cherokee

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2019, 01:07:50 PM »
    Hey Mitch, Give me a call and I'll walk you thru it. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Gerald Farris

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2019, 03:12:33 PM »
Mitch,
Your electric water heater is sitting on the shelf directly above your Hurricane heating unit.

Gerald

Laurence Mitchell

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2020, 08:08:50 PM »
I want to thank everyone for the info.  Fred, I will give you a call this weekend if that's okay.

Happy New Year!

Mitch.
45' 2007 Marquis - Moonstone C15 Cat
2018-2020 40' 2000 Marquis - Tourmaline